Physics question on necklace

Posted By theschemer 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I don't use physics much, maybe a little in the past, so I have a question. I am trying to put a necklace( comes in the IClone G6 Hair and accessories package ) on one of my CC characters in IClone 6.5 and it sinks into the shirt/body when I run it. Could anybody either point me in the right direction or tell me what the magic trick is to keep this from happening? I messed with all the physics settings and nothing really worked so I am assuming I need to do something with a constraint? Or the characters body need to have a setting so the necklace stops and bounces when it hits it?
Thanks,
TS

edit: I think I found the answer. Collision shapes. So I am going to see if I can figure it out from here. Any tips are welcome. Tongue
Edited
7 Years Ago by theschemer
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I was wondering if necklaces and dangling ear rings would work myself, Rampa has a tutorial on constraints I believe, I'm still a little rusty with constraints. Ermm

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 25 minutes ago
I believe you can use constraints to limit the amount of rotation. For dangling jewelry the rotation would be fairly limited maybe 10 degrees or less. That and then collision shapes should work pretty good.

I have bought physically-enabled earrings a long time ago from Shygirl, but that was for Bullet physics.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
I did one using the hinge constraint, although it was pretty cursory.

The pearl necklace is a series of rigid-body spheres held together with "generic" constraints. Lord Ashes and myself have constructed flexible cables using the same method. So each pearl has a constraint on it that links to the previous pearl. The last one connects to the first, as you can do that with constraints. The collison shape is set to "sphere". It'll blow apart if you try any other shape.
GrannyJ
GrannyJ
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Dangle earrings are the easiest of the jewelry pieces to set the constraints for, as the dangle part never really "lays" on a body part.  The difficulty with necklaces is that when there is no movement, you want the necklace laying up against the body.  It can be done, but it will take a lot of working with collision shapes and weight maps. I have one necklace (a pendant on an 18" standard neck chain) & it took me a myriad of hours to get it working properly (however when the avatar adopts extreme poses, there is some deformation that occurs).
I have found that if you make a long neck chain with a pendant end that resembles the longer ones in style as of late (where the pendant hangs below the bustline at @ mid rib cage) it is much easier (on female avatars) because the pendant never really "touches" the body.

iClone Certified Content Developer and Author of the Pinky Frink® Adventure Series & the Pinky Frink® Learning Books
site: Granny J's 3D Attic SKYPE = grannyjsplace email: grannyj@grannyjs3dattic.com
MY RIG: GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 970M | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-5930K @3.50GHz| 32.00 GB RAM | OS: Win 7 Pro SP1 | DX11

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Good info animagic, Rampa and GrannyJ, I'll play around with this some more.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Thank you to all that responded. The necklace I am using is this one:
http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=IC600D009ENU0101A00E
I managed to get it to work but it is stiff as a board and I was expecting it to move like a real necklace when the character walked or danced etc but it does not. For my current use it may be ok though although it would be better if it moved. Once I set the collision shape for the chest that seemed to fix it from sinking in. Then I had one link that seemed to separate from the rest of the chain and fall when the animation was run. I chased that around for a little bit and just deleted the necklace and started over. Tongue I also had to scale the necklace but I guess that is ok as the scaling button was not grayed out. Another question I have is how do you set or turn on more than one collision shape? When I tried it didn't seem that is could be done. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right? Laugh
Thanks,
TS
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

BUMP! BigGrin

Reading This Topic