Profile Picture

Brekel Mocap and other recommended mocap systems (besides Perception Neuron) for iClone

Posted By rjj1234 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Brekel Mocap and other recommended mocap systems (besides Perception...

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Supposedly (and rumors are all we have right now) the Facial Mocap part (add-on?) in iClone 7.1 is from FaceShift.  Equally supposedly, it's NOT supposed to cost an arm and a leg (I guess FS can license its technology as long as you can't export it from iClone and use elsewhere).  So we should be getting the same great facial tracking, but not at 1.5k a year (which is more than I could have afforded even when I was employed in the industry).

I assume that price is for professionals doing work for hire and yes, in that case, it's pretty reasonable.  Not for hobbyists, though (the vast majority of iClone users).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You could well be right since FaceShift - now owned by Apple and seemingly changing its name to FACEWARE - has a peculiar item in its product pricing where it cites a zero cost for non-professionals.
rjj1234
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Yikes. I must have seen an ios app related to Faceshift.  No that would not be relatively inexpensive regardless of one's "relatives."  Does looks like great software but I'll be searching for alternatives. Still I'd love to check it out more carefully. Does anyone have a link for Faceshift Studios?  Thanks!
Edited
7 Years Ago by rjj1234
rjj1234
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Thanks for that reminder about iClone's promise of Facial mocap!!! :-)
rjj1234
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I replies to your earlier post a bit too soon. I'll check this out. Many thanks!
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

@rjj1234
I think I may have conflated Faceshift and Faceware. Both similar I plead.
https://techcrunch.com/2015/11/24/apple-faceshift/
[Detailed report on apple's acquisition and its backstory as a start-up in Zurich.]
I'll look some more to see if apple have a web page about it.
My apologies to all.
Damnit I was thinking of Faceshift as the company that RL was dealing with rather than Faceware. Thanks Rampa.
So the price schedule above is correct as is from the Faceware site where they are asking visitors if they are coming from Faceshift
Edited
7 Years Ago by SeanMac
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

There's an interesting conversation about facial mocap including faceshift on

https://communities.intel.com/thread/110944

The interest is at the tail end where it says: "

There doesn't seem to be a reputable source remaining forthe Faceshift installation files - it looks like Apple scoured it from theinternet after their purchase.  That is generally the modus operandi forcompany purchases where you are buying the tech for your own use - to shut offsupply of a product to new licencees as soon as purchase of a company iscomplete.

". So how RL is dealing with Apple's  newly bought Faceshift clearly bought for the in-house purposes of Apple I am mystified to work out.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Apple (and for that matter, a lot of major companies) sometimes buy software companies both for their own use as well as to "freeze out" any competitor using that technology whether they intend to use it or not.  I think Apple is notorious for it but I also know Adobe has gone this route as well.

Bad for the rest of us and, I assume, bad for a company like Real Illusion, but I'm hoping they already had a deal in place if this is the case, and Apple (or whoever) will have to honor it regardless.  But I've said this on more than one occasion: Brekal (which I'm fairly sure is a one-man shop) could EASILY be incorporated into iClone and it would do Facial very well indeed and I suspect that RL could offer enough money for that developer (who can't be making a lot) to jump at the chance.  So there are certainly opportunities beyond what they might have already explored.

I so desperately need this stuff I don't want to think about the possibility I may never have it.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 52 minutes ago
From the iClone 7 page:

"The iClone 7 Face Motion Capture uses a PC camera or pre-recorded video files to lock control points to the real actor’s face and drive 3D characters' facial performance in real-time. Not only it can instantly represent natural real-human expressions for standard or stylized 3D characters, head rotation, and agile eyeball movement. Capture mouth shapes for talking animation that can be used alone or blended with lip-synch.

*Available in iClone7.1 release, the PC camera and face tracker are additional add-ons requiring separate plug-in purchase that includes Faceware Real-time Animation for iClone."

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

There ya go -- if Rampa says it, it's true!

(Now if only 7.1 would get here.  Heck, we don't even have 7.0 yet and already I'm dissatisfied :>Wink.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic