Profile Picture

Plant more than one species of Speedtree at one time?

Posted By will2power71 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
will2power71
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I have been playing around with speedtrees. Is it possible to plant more than one species of speedtree at one time? I was kind of hoping you could setup a group of tree types and it would randomize the age and size of all the trees in the group. Can someone tell me if this is possible?
mark
mark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
That would be a very cool feature for sure but, to my knowledge, it can't be done. Maybe someone else can set me straight? Ermm

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
will2power71 (2/24/2017)
I have been playing around with speedtrees. Is it possible to plant more than one species of speedtree at one time? I was kind of hoping you could setup a group of tree types and it would randomize the age and size of all the trees in the group. Can someone tell me if this is possible?

The only way I found was to place some trees into a blank scene, add wind if desired and then render as a PopVideo, then right click on the video and drag it to the scene and select billboard.  This isn't perfect but it's the only thing I found to do something similar to what you want.

Can you tell which set is the PopVideo Billboard?

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

will2power71
will2power71
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
mark (2/24/2017)
That would be a very cool feature for sure but, to my knowledge, it can't be done. Maybe someone else can set me straight? Ermm

I am a little surprised that no one's mentioned it seriously. Speedtrees are the single greatest draw to someone like me but putting trees down can be tedious at best --especially if you're planting a forest. 

Snarp,

Your suggestion has merit in some instances, but if I'm going for a forest environment that's involved in the shot I'm trying to set up it isn't practical. 

To anyone who's interested, I put an issue in the feedback tracker. This is pretty much what I came up with as an improvement to the way Plants and trees are distributed. It would be far more effective to have a paint mode much like the terrain tool, or allow you to have a placement map for the given scene. You can use a grey scale map to designate where the trees should be. This allows you to quickly distribute trees in the proper area without having to constantly click and move all over the terrain to plant one species of tree, then switch to another species and repeat the process. 

Instead, the user should have a plant tab where you can click and drag the species into a queue, with a separation between grass, shrubs, trees and finally rocks/boulders. You can then set the options and hit the place button. The user could then have a complete forest planted complete with paths where there are no plants/trees/grass grow. You can paint the map in Photoshop, or use a built in brush for each plant level. You make a pass for grass, then one for trees and so on. Make it so you can tweak and repeat each section without influencing the others --this way if you don't like the way the rocks are done, you can redo it without touching the trees or grass. Allow the user to paint on geometry that has been brought in so they can distribute the trees on their own custom terrains or they can use the iclone native terrains.

Here is a link to the Feedback Tracker Issue for those who are interested.

Reading This Topic