Profile Picture

I'm tired of playing Russian Roulette with iClone.

Posted By Dragonskunk 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
What do I mean by this? Every so often I would work investing many hours making an animation with iClone. I save it. I then come back to work on it some more just for the .iproject file to not open as iClone just crashes while those files are being opened specifically every time. So even with a healthy practice of saving my work as I go... it's futile. Even the unsaved project feature saves an equally crashing file as well.

I invested so much time making a ton of assets, characters and props and files just for iClone to end up being a Russian roulette game, where a project can end up never being able to open ever again seemingly a completely random occurrence. It is devastating when it does and happens and too often for me.

So what am I going to do with this? I did report it to bug tracker, iClone crashes during loading process of an iproject file.
I'm so discouraged.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg

bug
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Update:
Bug Confirmed - bug will be fixed in future patch
Will the next patch be iClone 7 at this point?

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Don't be discouraged. This happens to everybody whatever the domain of application, to hobbyists up to professionals. It is simply the "normal" life of computer software users.

The best course of action when you hit a bug is to try to figure out what causes it and to find a way to reproduce it. If you can identify what causes the crash then you may be able to stay away from it or find workarounds the time for the dev team to fix it. And if you can find a way to reproduce it systematically and send the info to the dev team, then you get more chance to have it fixed properly and sooner and by doing so you contribute to improve the software stability and robustness.

Bug free applications may exist, but the current paradigm is that users are implicitly part of the Quality Assurance cycle of any software development project, and their responsibility is to report defects because the development teams do not have the resources to test everything (time and money issues of course). This is true for a simple notepad, for any game, for expensive expert system applications, database applications, etc.. As soon as you use a software application then you become part of that Quality Assurance team, that's the deal, whether you like it or not. So better accept it and act accordingly. You will feel more in control and you'll be able to beat the Russian Roulette.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Christy0
Christy0
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I wonder If we keep all those old project files that won't open and the problem is fixed in Iclone 7, will we be able to reopen those lost projects in iClone 7 (HERE'S HOPING)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e9080617-e063-46e7-ad69-a9c8.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f125ca23-2f9f-40dc-b6cd-d1a8.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d5dd533e-e6d4-4ee9-9a17-91da.png

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Christy0 (2/20/2017)
I wonder If we keep all those old project files that won't open and the problem is fixed in Iclone 7, will we be able to reopen those lost projects in iClone 7 (HERE'S HOPING)

Have you sent everyone of those project files to the Reallusion support team ? If not, you should.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Dragonskunk (2/19/2017)
Update:
Bug Confirmed - bug will be fixed in future patch
Will the next patch be iClone 7 at this point?

We have a 6.54 update in the works. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
7 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

grabiller (2/20/2017)
Christy0 (2/20/2017)

Have you sent everyone of those project files to the Reallusion support team ? If not, you should.

I sent the files upon reply seeing how the upload didn't take due to the size limit of 5megs. So I used a file hosting.
Before they used the files they assumed it was too big a project. NOPE!
Project example1:1character, 1tree, 1sky. 
Project example2:1 character, 1plane.

File was corrupted, yes but was it my PC that's at fault? NOPE!
i7 16Gb ram GTX1060 new SSD with no errors detected, all drivers always up to date, no internet on this machine so no virus. No record of corrupted files. All other project files save perfectly.

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
the biggest issue with saved projects is the inability to merge them.
Manytimes the project ends up too big and prone to error because of this.
being able to group stuff and save subsets would avoid this.
I do this a lot in both Carrara ( group and export as .car file) and DAZ studio parent to null (save scene subsets)
You can some stuff but often lose animations and linked items like trees etc.
You certainly cannot link iAvatars and save them making my horse riders impossible to reuse.

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

wendyluvscatz (2/22/2017)
the biggest issue with saved projects is the inability to merge them.
Manytimes the project ends up too big and prone to error because of this.
being able to group stuff and save subsets would avoid this.
I do this a lot in both Carrara ( group and export as .car file) and DAZ studio parent to null (save scene subsets)
You can some stuff but often lose animations and linked items like trees etc.
You certainly cannot link iAvatars and save them making my horse riders impossible to reuse.

That would be handy a feature to have for my case then I could extract some of it or just having a different way to extract a fie could make picking from it more successful.

Anime Studio has a nifty feature:
Import assets from project.
You select the project file, you have a check list of objects, you select the ones you wish to import.

Blender has the same system.
You select a blend file, first selection are the asset types once you choose one, the second list is the assets that are part of the category. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Dragonskunk
Christy0
Christy0
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
deleted this one

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e9080617-e063-46e7-ad69-a9c8.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f125ca23-2f9f-40dc-b6cd-d1a8.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d5dd533e-e6d4-4ee9-9a17-91da.png

Edited
7 Years Ago by Christy0

Reading This Topic