Profile Picture

Is there a way to pause for up to 10 seconds on a motion path?

Posted By jlthorne 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is there a way to pause for up to 10 seconds on a motion path?

Author
jlthorne
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I have a long motion path, and I would like to make 3 pauses for approx 10 seconds each.  Can this be done or do I need to create 3 separate motions paths.  I have a problem with the prop drifting between motion paths when I create 3 separate paths.  Thanks for help. Jeff
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Motion paths can be keyframed.  Just set a keyframe at the place where you want the motion to pause, copy the frame and paste it at the place where you want it to resume.  IE. go into the timeline and double click on the motion path selection at the point where you want it to pause.  Then copy the keyframe that this double click creates.  Paste the new keyframe at the place where you want the motion to resume.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
7 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
jlthorne
jlthorne
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)Veteran Member (984 reputation)

I am sorry but I cannot get the object to pause.  On the copy picture the object is 11% along the path but when I paste the value down the timeline the position is 21%.  And when I animate the object does not pause.  Shouldn't the copy make the motion path numbers the same?  Also is there a way to make different speeds along the path?  Thanks  Jeffhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bfc26bba-4383-4b3a-b9b0-16ff.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a7eb0ffd-b976-4a00-ab49-2ee2.png
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
Try this.

Edited
7 Years Ago by rampa
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
You will find the keyframes for the path in a track under Constraints of your prop. What I see are Transform key frames.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bcda2e97-e64d-4fa3-8712-0461.png

The way I create keyframes for a path is that at the point in time where I want the keyframe I simply change the percentage value of the path up and down. That will give you your first keyframe. Say it's at 11%. You can then move the timeline cursor forward 10 seconds and enter 11 as percentage value for the path. That will give you a 10 second pause. You can create your other pauses the same way. You can speed up a motion from a given point by increasing the percentage value at the second point. For slowing down you would do the same in reverse.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
@sw00000p: it would be the same in iClone. For example, if there is a keyframe with a percentage of 80% just before the total time available for the path, you would indeed get quite a jump at the end. There's no magic built in, so you would have to tweak the values in the keyframes.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

jlthorne
jlthorne
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for the tutorial.  I will try it tonight when I get home.  I never expected so much support.  Thanks for taking your time.  Jeff
jlthorne
jlthorne
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks to everyone for you help.  iClone can be overwhelming for a new user, but with such great support, learning is made much easier.  Thanks everyone!! Jeff
jlthorne
jlthorne
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I tried both methods with great success and I really appreciate the time you both took to help me out.  I know I would not of come up with the answer with the trial and error methods I used.  I have never used forums before so I am amazed at how much help people are willing to give.  Thanks again for your support and help.  Jeff
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

I'm a bit late to the party (I was occupied with other things the last couple of days), but I wanted to show my approach to using paths.

Here is a very rough video showing how I pick path control points, which creates keyframes, and how they can then be adjusted on the timeline.
It also shows an easy way to make something "pause" on the path.

It is a very raw video, not a professional-level tutorial.  I think I say, "Ahh..." about 47 times.  Blush
Anyway, I hope it helps a little.  If nothing else, it offers a different perspective.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic