CTA3 Lip Animation Help

Posted By DV-Studios 7 Years Ago
Rated 4 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
DV-Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi,

I am new to CTA3.  Just purchased the pipeline edition.  I am a longtime Anime Studio/Moho user.  Here is the issue I am having.

I purchased a CTA3 character.  When I create a lip sync script from a wav file, the lip motions are the wrong ones for the sounds.  When I use the lip editor to see what is going on, I can confirm that the sounds in the lip editor slots are not the mouth positions that should be used.  When I am in the composer mode, I can look at all of the available mouth positions and the ones I want to use are all there.  How can I edit the lip position graphics?

Any guidance is much appreciated. 

https://digitalvectorstudios.com/
garylearntech
garylearntech
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Hi Doug

Reallusion have a CTA3 YouTube playlist with tutorials of their own as well as some community videos.  They recently added several head-related tutorials, which are listed at the bottom.  (By default, playlists seem to add newest additions at the bottom.)  I've only begun watching them, but I think Face Key Editing Basics and particularly Lip Sync Basics look like they could repay your watching them…

Gary

---
Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline (always the current production version, unless otherwise stated)
Mac mini M1, macOS Big Sur (11.6.5)
Signature data last updated 2022-05-15

DV-Studios
DV-Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)

Thank you for taking the time to try to help with this issue.

I was able to previously watch the YouTube tutorials.  This is where I am stuck.  After I make a script with a Wav file.  In the timeline I click on the lips letter codes selected by the script.  This dialog box comes up.  For my character the mouth shapes are not assigned to the right letter sounds, in fact there are some mouth shapes not even available in this lips editor even though the graphics are available in the character composer.  How can the graphics be assigned to the lips editor.  Thanks again.

toonsunlimited
toonsunlimited
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
The Lips Editor is more ideal for morphed based characters.  Reallusion mapped several of these lip expressions with sprite based characters, but not all of them.
If you want total control of all the mouth expression available to you in a sprite based character, I would suggest you use the sprite editor instead.  

Now it would be great if Reallusion allowed the ability to reassign mouth expressions to the Lips editor but for now, the sprite editor is probably the best solution.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c09b5311-3ab1-47a8-995d-c2df.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a076bbd-c788-40a3-b65c-4995.png

Email: askjanell@toonsunlimited.com

Check Out My Channel For CTA "How To" Tutorials
  Follow me on Facebook for Characters in Development
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7e3e974d-b57b-4b3a-b000-da9f.png

DV-Studios
DV-Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I will experiment with the sprite editor to see if I can reassign things.

njennings12
njennings12
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Did you discover how to change the mouth shapes in the editor. Manually changing the mouth shapes seems like a lot more work than the auto lip sync. Does the lip editor use only some of the mouth shapes?
K_Digital
K_Digital
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
CTA 3.3.007.1

Morph Based Character Head

Follwoing THIS VIDEO:
https://courses.reallusion.com/home/cartoon-animator/character-motions?v=crazytalk-animator-3-tutorial-lip-sync-basics
clicking on the Lips Editor changes the shape of the mouth immediately, but when i click on it nothing happens.

Against when using a default cartoon character from CTA3, the lip editor seems to work as expected.

any advice ?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
zbvg.kta84_742487 (1/26/2022)
CTA 3.3.007.1

Morph Based Character Head

Follwoing THIS VIDEO:
https://courses.reallusion.com/home/cartoon-animator/character-motions?v=crazytalk-animator-3-tutorial-lip-sync-basics
clicking on the Lips Editor changes the shape of the mouth immediately, but when i click on it nothing happens.

Against when using a default cartoon character from CTA3, the lip editor seems to work as expected.

any advice ?

Hi...

In case I'm not understanding you correctly, can you explain more about this sentence "clicking on the Lips Editor changes the shape of the mouth immediately, but when i click on it nothing happens."

Normally when using the Lips Editor you you would double click on say "Oh" on the Timeline Lips track and then adjust the Expressiveness slider as required. Tapping "Oh" again won't do anything but clicking say "EE" should change the mouth shape of you character and EE will be keyed on the Timeline. Does this not happen for you?

If it doesn't work at all no matter what you press in the Lips Editor, please try with a different morph based character to eliminate the character as being the problem. Also, does the mouth animate correctly when you play the project without using the Lips Editor?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

K_Digital
K_Digital
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Thanks for your Reply,

Ive started over an over again many times with the same scene and by random i found out what caused it.
Everything works as expected with the Lips Editor, exept when moving the voice track away from position 0 or loading a WAV at Frame 100 for example.
Must be a bug i guess.

Another Bug seems to me, copying for example an eye animation to another frame doesnt seem to work or only work randomly.
I am pretty new to the program, so perhaps this is intended, just guessing "Bugs".

Reading This Topic