Posted By Bigus 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Idea.png
Bigus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hey friends,

I flounder between this:

ASUS ROG G752VS (GTX 1070, 32 RAM - 2300$)

ASUS ROG G752VS (GTX 1070, 64 RAM - 2800$)

ASUS ROG G701VI (GTX 1080, 32 RAM - 3000$)

ASUS ROG G701VI (GTX 1080, 64 RAM - 3500$)

The main difference:
GTX1070 vs GTX1080
More RAM

Is it worth to invest extra $ for the higher GPU and RAM?
Is this a significant difference for iClone and video editing?

Thank you for advice!

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Those are some amazing specs!

I like the large screen size and sensible resolution. It doesn't really make sense to have 4K for a work laptop.

We had a GPU discussion the other day and for iClone a GTX 1070 would be fine, because the most important spec is the 8GB VRAM. Also, it uses less power, which is important for a laptop.

I looked at some of the other specs, in particular drives. The cheapest version has a 256GB SSD, which I wouldn't recommend. There have been reports on the forum of users who ran out of space. The more expensive 1070 version has a 512 GB SSD. I have a 512GB SSD in my desktop and that seems adequate. What I like about the 1070 versions is the 1 TB regular HDD. This is great for iClone content and your renders. The 1080 versions have a 1TB as 2x512GB in Raid 2, which is not really necessary.

So my recommendation would be your second option: ASUS ROG G752VS (GTX 1070, 64 GB RAM - 2800$). 64 GB seems like overkill, but with all the new features in IC7, it might be good to plan for the future.

One concern I have with powerful laptops like this is the cooling. It would be good to read some reviews about that. iClone will make your GPU work hard, and you don't really want to work with a system that is very noisy.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Bigus
Bigus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Many thanks for the detailed response.
What I saw in reviews, Asus did a great job with cooling.

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Bigus
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
All  good specs ...
When it comes to 3d and video the most important thing that will benefit you will be a system with the most video memory....
64GB of memory is a little over kill I would get a 32GB and put the extra cash into the best card you can get with the most memory.

The 1080 8GB with 32 GB system memory is what I would choose, 64GB memory is a little over kill ..

For $3500 you could build a really nice desktop with a Titan X Pascal 12GB in it BigGrin

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
7 Years Ago by kevin.S
Bigus
Bigus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The difference between 1070 to -1080 is so significant? So much so that it's preferable to double system RAM?

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
A 1080 or 1070 8GB are just fine ether will work nicely but 64GB ram is a little over kill you could save the cash and upgrade something else for the cost of those extra DDR4 chips, Unless you run Houdini you will never really need 64GB of ram not even for the best games.

Your graphics card is like a paint bush to a painter, its the most important tool you have...BigGrin

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
7 Years Ago by kevin.S
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

The reason I selected the 1070 64GB version was because of the hard drive configuration (a 256 GB SSD is not enough). As secondary drive in the 1080 systems ASUS uses 2 times 512GB SSD in Raid 2, which would only give you 512 GB of effective space if I'm not mistaken. That's not really sufficient for the expected content and render use. If you could configure it, I would go with GTX 1070, 32 GB, 512 GB SSD, and a 1 TB secondary HDD.

A desktop would obviously be more economical, but that harder to carry around.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

It's really just a marketing thing. Big numbers, like 64 vs 32, just look good in the ad. Your very unlikeliy to see any benefit with most software. Either card will perform to it's maximum specs with "just" 32 GIG. Smile

EDIT
Just saw Animagic's post pop-up. He has a very good point regarding storage. Is there a custom configuration option? It is also very likely you can upgrade the secondary internal drive yourself. That machine seems to have 2 bays inside. I had an ASUS laptop a few years ago that I put a second drive into.
Edited
7 Years Ago by rampa
Bigus
Bigus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Actually, it is possible to easily upgrade the storage on your own. 
OK, it's interesting to see your opinion. 
thanks for sharing! 
so, I'm better off with the very first option while getting a second ssd m2.

Edit: A second 256GB NVMe PCIe SSD would cost around 300$.

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Bigus
sbaerman
sbaerman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I bought recently an MSI Machine

MSI GT73VR-6RFZ16SR451

5820HK
512 GB SSD RAID PCIE

1080 GTX
16GB MEM

The reason why I decided for MSI over Asus is that they have slot in Graphic Cards. As far as I know Asus has soldered in Graphic cards. As the processor speeds not really are improving that much compared to how the GPU market is doing, I decided, that this is the most important to be able to buy a new card in a couple of years and no need to sell the laptop away.

I just sold an Asus with GTX 780m on ebay to get mor graphics power for Iclone 7.

Wonder when we will get it :-)

Machines :
MSI Gaming Laptop, I7, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1 TB HD
Acer Predator Helios 300 I7 10750H, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2070

Reading This Topic