Profile Picture

Why does color of fabric change when activating appearance editor?

Posted By dante1st 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Why does color of fabric change when activating appearance editor?

Author
dante1st
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I suspect the answer will be simple, but why does color of fabric change when activating appearance editor? And for that matter, how come the skin turns shiny and "wet" looking?

Here's preview pics to show what I mean.
https://uploadpie.com/8lS1Aq

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My iClone short films: https://www.youtube.com/iClone316

Edited
7 Years Ago by dante1st
animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
dante1st (1/6/2017)
I suspect the answer will be simple, but why does color of fabric change when activating appearance editor? And for that matter, how come the skin turns shiny and "wet" looking?

Here's preview pics to show what I mean.
https://uploadpie.com/8lS1Aq

It's better to embed images in your post, because I get a link expired message. In general though, the color of fabric shouldn't change when activating appearance editor.

A question: are you using CC 2.0 beta? It has a PBR shader, and so-called Classic materials need to be converted to PBR. But without screen captures it's hard to say.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

dante1st
dante1st
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You were absolutely right as usual, in CC 2 it always gives this warning about something about "flattening" the image or something when activating appearance editor.

When I use the regular CC 1.5, I don't have that issue at all.

At this point, I'm just not going to use CC 2 anymore until we're in iClone 7 (which is when PBR will be supported I guess).

Thanks again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My iClone short films: https://www.youtube.com/iClone316

animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

The "flattening" message appears when you import CC characters that where exported into iClone (as iAvatar) back into CC again. For use in iClone, the Substance materials in CC need to be converted (or flattened) to materials in the form of various texture maps. So the original Substance information is no longer available. If you import such a character back into CC and try to apply the Appearance Editor you will get a warning, because there is no Substance that the Appearance Editor can be applied to.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
In CC2, if you are in PBR mode and then activate the appearance editor and "clear" the unused channels, it (erroneously) leaves you with an empty roughness and metallic channels, resulting in very shiny people or clothing.

Drag a black jpeg onto the Metallic channel (usually), and some level of gray jpeg onto the Roughness channel.  That should be a good start.
>>> Or better yet...  If you already made it shiny, click the "Convert Shader" icon to make it PBR and it will reinstate the Metallic and Roughness maps.

Then remember to click the "Keep" button when you launch the Appearance Editor in the future.

P.S.
Usually something is metallic (white) or not (black).  A "gray" semi-metallic is possible, but not really a good practice.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

As to the Clear/Keep dialog in CC 2.0 that Viking mentions; I can't really think of a reason to select Clear. If the original material has a Specularity map it will be converted to Roughness. If there are no maps then the results map be disappointing and/or hard to adjust. Unless RL has a convincing reason to keep it, I think the dialog should be removed.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I believe I have a valid scenario for the "Clear" option.  Like many mini-tutorials of mine, it hasn't materialized yet.

1)  Load a material (Substance) with a very distinctive height map.  Verify everything looks great.
2)  Load a different material, such as silk or satin, which has no height map.
2a)  Use the "Keep" option, and the old height map is still there, messing up the smooth silk material
2b)  Use the "Clear" option, since the new material has no height map, and it looks correct

The problem is that "Clear" tends to clear out the Metallic and Roughness maps.
In my opinion, if you are in PBR mode, you should always have those two maps.
It could default to Metallic=Black and Roughness=Gray.
Then you can easily modify them using the color adjustment panel.

Yes, I agree, I should document this brilliant suggestion in FeedBack Tracker.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic