Profile Picture

Blender to CC workflow

Posted By pulledprok 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pulledprok
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I've been taking the base template FBX characters from Character Creator to Blender and back using the steps in this body suit modeling tutorial:
https://youtu.be/XIxpaFUYV8Q

The only change is I put high heels on the avatar in CC, then delete the heels in Blender. This gives me the up on the toes pose to be able to make new boots via copying the body mesh. (as a side note, I haven't been able to move the pose of the base fbx character in Blender, but I'm not worried about that if I can get this question answered) 

The problem: If I just use copied body mesh and extrusion, the workflow round trip works just fine. That's fine, it's a solution I can work with if needed.

However, it would be quicker and more flexible to build things using base mesh objects (like a plane or a sphere). If I do add a new mesh object (a plane, for example) and make that into boots (or whatever), it crashes coming back into CC. This happens even if I join body mesh copied faces with the blender plane (by creating a new face between them). In other words, I can copy body mesh, extrude it, delete the original faces I copied, still works fine. If I Add a mesh object from Blender, it doesn't work. Either by themselves or joined to copied mesh. Even if I Separate the mesh to its own thing.

I'm guessing this is a rigging issue or somesuch, does anyone know? 

Or is it a bug that I'll only be able to work off copied character mesh?
Rampa
This post has been flagged as an answer
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
Yeah. It's a rigging issue.

When you copy the base mesh in Blender, it copies the base mesh's rigging too. When you start with a new mesh, it has no rigging. Google rigging mesh to armature in Blender.

That tutorial was specifically aimed at not having to do any rigging for a very basic body suit.
pulledprok
pulledprok
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)

The tutorial was a great kick start to my learning curve, so thanks for doing it. I've spent several days messing around with what I can get away with.

I'm happy to google directions for what you're talking about now that I know what to look for. Thank you!
pulledprok
pulledprok
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Follow up question, related I think, I brought a template character into Blender after adding shoes in CC. I deleted the left shoe, changed the right shoe, then symmerized it to create a new left. It went back into iClone fine, but the left shoe was rigged to the right of the model... the right foot moved both shoes.

I've watched a couple videos on rigging in blender, but I was unable to determine how to rig the left shoe. Normally it looks like you select the thing you want to rig in Object mode, shift click the armature, then ctrl-P and select what option you want.

Fine and dandy, but when the shoes are selected in Object mode, they select together... I can't figure out how to select one shoe separately. I even tried messing with the template character without changing the shoes... just to try and break and remake the rigging for practice, I can't figure out how to treat the shoes as separate objects.

It's a weird hurdle, I know, but it feels like something really obvious I'm missing.
pulledprok
pulledprok
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

<<duplicate post ignore>>
Edited
7 Years Ago by pulledprok
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
When you say symmerised do you mean you used the mirror modifier?

Here is what i did with the shoes i made.
Note im at work so trying to remember the exact names of things is tough for a 61 year old. Lol

Export character with high heel shoes from CC as fbx
Import to blender and delete the shoes.
Create a plane and cut it in half and positon it at 0,0,0 xyz position
Add a mirror modifier and then position the half plane under a foot
The mirrored plane lines up under the other foot.
Now build my shoe shape

Now the bit that might help your question
When the shoe is shaped apply the mirror modifier so it is not there any more
Now you can edit both shoes separate to each other.
When complete

Go to object mode and to the shift click armature,ctrl-P, with empty bones. Sorry cant remember what thats called
Now select the characters skin, shift click the shoes switch to weight paint mode select transfer weights and set the source to "by name"
Now do the uv mapping and then export and import to CC

The point that both shoes move with the same foot makes me think that you did the weight mapping with the mirror modifier still open?
Or something like that
Hope that helps

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
7 Years Ago by Delerna
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Oops. Duplicate post

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
7 Years Ago by Delerna
pulledprok
pulledprok
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Symmetrize is under the mesh pull down menu in editing mode. It works about the same. You select the mesh you want to copy, it copies, then flips it on the center axis. I don't think you have to apply it or whatnot, but each thing is a separate thing, so if you apply further changes on one side you want to copy, you have to delete one of the objects and run Symmetrize again.

I'll try out your suggestions and see what happens. I'm curious to see if it works if I mirror a shoe I bring in, so I don't have to build a complete shoe from scratch. 
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
I guess it completely duplicates it. Again with the rigging included. So, I think you should be able to select the mesh of only one shoe in edit mode. Then hit "P" to seperate it as its own object. Exit edit mode, select the shoe that you just separated and work on it as needed; rigging, etc.

Hope that works! Smile
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ohhhh. Well theres a tool i didnt know about that i might find helpfull. I will have to check that one out tonight

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Reading This Topic