Posted By eternityblue 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question.png
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
In Poser (10 at least) they have a high quality but small preview render in real time to help with composition, iClone kind of does something opposite, the thumbnail is a fast Quick Mode render. With GI/RT in iClone7 requiring higher end cards to preview, would it be possible to make the low resolution thumbnail have a high quality ray tracing mode that could approximate the GI/PBR even on lower end systems?  It seems like the best compromise to give iClone the largest potential user base and give users some breathing room, also hopefully allowing iC7 to be used on more mobile devices lacking as much graphics horsepower. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I get real-time GI on my old GTX 770. That's in Marmoset, but should be very similar. It's like adjusting the camera in iRay or Cycles where it gets partially rendered as the camera moves and snaps to fully rendered when the motion stops. So it is not like it will not show your scene, but more that the resolving of it when the camera stops moving may take a touch longer.

The thumbnail view is "quick mode" so it will use less system resources. It would take just as much resources to render it "fancy" as the main window.
Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that, but I guess we'll have to see how iC7 displays on lower end cards, I hope you are right and it just takes time to draw, and then switching back and forth won't be an issue for me. It is just if it can't handle a full view render, could it handle the smaller view? I dispute your idea that it would be the same, that isn't true for Poser's implementation, yes I know it is different. Regardless, the function of the mini viewport as implemented was to let you vee two cameras at once, but it seems it could be repurposed. Anyhow, maybe it is a waste of effort and in three years few will be trying to run it on ancient cards anyway. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
I don't know what thumbnail you are referring to, but if it is the one that is saved with assets, then there is an issue.  One of the complaints has been that saving in iClone 6 took significantly longer than in IC5, as often more than half the time was spent rendering the thumbnail, even with a high end card. So IC 6 has now a less fancy option, which has improved the time needed for saving. A high-end thumbnail could be an option for those who want it, but it should be just that, an option.

If this is not what you mean then I'm sorry. Please, enlighten me.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The mini viewport is what Eternityblue is referring to. Having more than one might be nice option for some folks.
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
rampa (12/6/2016)
The mini viewport is what Eternityblue is referring to. Having more than one might be nice option for some folks.

OK, I understand. That would be useful in higher quality.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
8 Years Ago by animagic

Reading This Topic