Order iClone 7 NOW!

Posted By Atonnis 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Atonnis
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
animagic (11/28/2016)
45thdiv (11/28/2016)
I'm curious to know if iClone7 will support SLI (Multiple Nvidia graphics cards linked together).  Having 3 cards with only 1 card being used by iClone6 is a sad thing.  Why not take advantage of the multiple GPUs and memory?

The reason is that in SLI memory is shared, so it doesn't give you any advantage in that regard. You may get some processing advantage, but you have to contend with processing overhead between the cards. Your best investment is a single card with as much memory as you can afford.

I ask in query, not challenge - are you sure?  From what I've read SLi works by effectively drawing (1/amount of video cards you have in SLi) and thus eliminates the pressure on draw calls.  eg. 2xcards means the cards draw half the screen each drawn at each frame, which make it significantly less.

If that was the case, why would the memory be shared? Surely the SLi controller/bridges would take care of what needs to be allocated to which card?  Or is this just lazy coding by nVidia?
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
4GB GPU + 4GB GPU = 4GB SLI GPUs

You do not get a system that acts like it has "8GB" of VRAM.

You can Google for detailed explanations of "why," but adding cards together does not increase the amount of memory.  I think the short explanation is they each have their own copy of the entire scene, but then coordinate which portion of it (or which frame) they render.  Consider a situation where they render alternate frames, each one needs to hold the entire scene.

There may be scientific software situations with custom drivers that behave differently, but that is the normal behavior for "gaming" systems.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 500 GB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
I am wondering if/when iClone will get the ability to render in layers, in that sort of setup I am wondering if a card could be set to render all the character animation while another is rendering the terrain etc. And what kind of power supply would you need for two hard working video cards?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Atonnis
Atonnis
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)Veteran Member (974 reputation)

I was thinking more in terms of:

2 Card SLi In Use:
Data for first card - top half calculated and displayed.
Data for second card - bottom half calculated and displayed.

Each cycle requirements for shared texturing/models would be checked.

Thus minimising use on one particular GPU's memory when unnecessary.

Hey, I'm considering logic from the point of view of an IT bod, not a graphics engine/software driver/hardware developer.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
AFAIK it has not happened in the real world yet, but DX12 is supposed to support memory stacking for multi-card configurations like SLI an Crossfire. AMD's "Mantle" is supposed to also be able to. I think either solution is going to require coding for it at the application level to take advantage.

Being that the type of cards that would be used in SLI/Crossfire are getting 6-8 Gig of VRAM nowadays, there may be little incentive for developers to bother. 

When we may see the fruits of this is anyone's guess!

So currently, you get more horsepower, but same memory, like has been mentioned. Do keep an eye on it though, because it may change in the future.
Atonnis
Atonnis
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Of course, there is always this supposed software that Stardock are working on that will supposedly allow you mash in almost any graphics card you want to improve performance.........
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.1K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
@Atonnis: Others have already answered for me, but, yes, I am sure...Wink

SLI definitively gives you improved performance in some cases (benchmarks proof that), but the memory is shared; I guess so that each of the cards have access to the same data. AFAIK, it's the same with AMD cards (whatever their equivalent of SLI is).

It's hard to believe, but I have iClone scenes that are able to almost fill the 8GB I have in my current card, so more VRAM is definitely not a luxury anymore.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a09220f-ab50-42ac-ad1a-33ec.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/Uploads/Images/d14339d0-cd32-4b35-88f9-40a0.png

Atonnis
Atonnis
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Good thing I just use a 1080 for primary and a 980Ti for PhysX then Smile

Reading This Topic