does iCar Body Shop and mechanic tool kit work in iC6

Posted By Darren01 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Darren01
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Can anyone confirm please ?

I'm considering purchasing the pack
but just want to make sure it works in iC6 before I spend any money on it
http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/csproduct.aspx?contentid=AIC320DIENU050120090427001
http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/iClone/pack/iCar_BodyShop/Help_Make_a_Custom_iCar.aspx

thanks

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
If you just want to mechanize your own models, you can start with the Mechanical Toolkit, which is a free download from the iCar Body Shop page.

As it uses AML scripts, it was hard to get to work for a while, but it's functioning now. The instructions (your second link) are outdated, and it's actually now easier to use.

The Mechanical Toolkit contains the helper objects to create your 4-wheel car. They can be found under Template => iCar Body Shop => Mechanical Tool Kit in the folders Door_Tools, Spring_Tools, and Wheel_Tools.

I just tried it in iClone 6.53 to make sure it still worked, and this is what you do:

1. Prepare you car model such that the wheels (and if desired the doors) are sub-props with their pivots in the correct place for rotation. The body should be a separate sub-prop as well.
2. Place the desired Spring Tool in your scene. The spring Tool has to parts: Spring00 (top) and Spring01 (bottom).
3. Place the for Wheel Tools in your scene at the indicated wheel positions, such the they are centered with the actual wheels.
4. Attach the Wheel Tools to the Spring Tool, such that they are attached to Spring01 (you need to open the Attach dialog for that).
5. Attach the actual wheels to their respective Wheel Tools.
6. Attach the body of the car to the Spring Tool, this time to Spring00.
7. Right-click the Spring Tool and select Drama Script and then Import Drama Script.
8. From you iClone Template folder, navigate to DramaScript => iCar Body Shop => Mechanic Tool Kit, where you will find a number of AML scripts. (For a while these wouldn't show up, because iClone only considered LUA scripts. This is fixed now.)
9. Select the AML script for the Spring_Tool you selected.
10. When right-clicking on the Spring_Tool, you should now have two Move commands: Move Forward and Move Backward. These work similar to the walk options of avatars: you select the option and then click the destination in the scene.
11. If everything is working as desired, you can merge the wheels with their Wheel Tools, but there's no need for that.

That's basically all there is to it. There is no longer a Director mode to drive the car, but I have used paths instead. Initially, the front wheels tend turn left or right (as if being steered) but that can be fixed with key-framing.

Since the iCar Body Shop relies on the Mechanical Tool Kit, it also works in iClone 6. It gives you some nice car models, but other than that you don't need it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
8 Years Ago by animagic
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

that was really helpful animagic - thanks for your efforts explaining it.
Yes I really just want to do my own cars that I get from 3D Warehouse.
So you've just saved me buying something that I wouldn't use

thanks again
Darren

Darren01
Darren01
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I followed your instructions above.
I've imported the AML Drama Script, but when I click 'move forward' on the stiff suspension prop, I get the following error ?
I've confirmed thecpath of the file is in the location as specified in the error

Edited
8 Years Ago by Darren01
joejvg
joejvg
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for this error? I have it also.

Joe
joejvg
joejvg
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)

I ran iClone as Administrator and it works now. Looks like a Windows file access issue. Seems like the doors don't have the issue.

Joe
joejvg
joejvg
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Ah!

I ran as my regular user and the menu seems to work on the door props which has the commands to move forward and back without the error when you select. I'll look at it some more as it is only going in a circle but it is moving finally.

Joe

Reading This Topic