Profile Picture

questions about characters

Posted By vlad74xsi 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
vlad74xsi
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 15 Years Ago
Hello Guys.

Just have some questions about importing characters from 3da max:
Will be grateful if you could help me.

1.What does not-standard character mean? For example Ive created a boy in max and want to import it into iclone and use all features that any Iclone character has. Is that possible?
2.Let say I want to import a duck that I built in 3dx max into iclone. Am I going to be a able to use the in-built features for facial animation.
3. What is the way to animate non-human characters in Iclone.

Thank you in advance .

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I hope the following will answer your questions. Smile

1.What does not-standard character mean? For example Ive created a boy in max and want to import it into iclone and use all features that any Iclone character has. Is that possible?

A non-standard character is one that is a complete figure and not separated into the separate Head, Upper, Lower or Shoes of a standard character. The parts of a standard character can be interchanged with other avatars such as Trey, Violet etc but non-standard characters can not. An example of a non-standard character is the Dummy or Sack figures.

2.Let say I want to import a duck that I built in 3dx max into iclone. Am I going to be a able to use the in-built features for facial animation.

Unless the Duck is constructed as a standard avatar it won't be able to use the built in features for animation such as puppeteering.

3. What is the way to animate non-human characters in Iclone.

You can use the Edit Motion Layer feature of iClone to animate non-human characters. You can right click the character and choose Motion Menu - Edit Motion.

Take a look at the link below. This explains in more detail about the different types of characters.

http://developer.reallusion.com/whitepaper/IC3plugin_QuickGuide/default.htm.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

nicknowland
QuestionMark
nicknowland
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
I thought that was a very clear and concise answer to that last post, thank you.

I have some questions regarding the feet floating/grounding issue which I hope you can shine some light on...

I acknowledge that this is better in iClone4 but it is still by no
means perfect and I would hesitate to use material in a professional
production. Which is a shame because the software has so much to offer and I do want to use it on a full length kid/family film.

So my questions are...

1. Is this effect to do with the preset animation?

2. If so do you think that more careful animation in the preset would fix
the problem?

3. Or is there another reason for this effect?

4. In other words if I import an animated character from 3ds max,
which is float free in 3ds max,is the feet sliding still going to
appear in iClone4?

5...If the foot float issue is not in the preset animation would it be
possible to use the path in some way so that the feet really do stick
to where they land?...

6.. Last question.(today!) Would it be possible to make it so when one
instructs a character to move along a path that they really do attach
to the path so that if the path is edited they would follow the new version of that
path?

kind regards Nic
vlad74xsi
vlad74xsi
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.
vlad74xsi
vlad74xsi
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

sw00000p (10/27/2009)
Nic,

Just a suggestion. I've cleaned up a lot of Mocap with slinding/Floating feet by:

* Delete the First and Last key of a an undesired action. Open the "Curve Editor"

* Deleting the (Middle Keys) produces a smooth curve! Adjust as desired!

* The Re-Animated foots steps No Longer Slide or Float!

* Kind Regards,

sw00000p

You are talking about 3ds max, aren't you?
vlad74xsi
vlad74xsi
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thank you sw00000p.
So I assume that it is not possible to fix feet sliding inside Iclone. What does Peter Edwards think about that?
And other question - is it possible to import a terrain created in 3ds max into Iclone and be treated as a terrain not a prop. If that is not possible does Reallusion have enough variations of terrain presets that we can buy?

Thank you very much.
Edited
15 Years Ago by vlad74xsi
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you are talking about the sliding that sometimes takes place between two stock motions, then you can reduce or even stop this by using Edit Motion Layer and careful use of the alignment options. Coupled with correct timing you can get a fluid transition between motions without obvious sliding. Overall there really is no magic answer as it comes down to practice and experience of working with the Timeline.

With regards to your terrain question. You can bring in any suitable ground prop you have created and then Right Click on the prop and select Add To Terrain. This will then become a terrain which you can save as such if you wish.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

vlad74xsi
vlad74xsi
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hello Peter and thank you very much for the help.
When I said sliding I meant characters feet while they are walking. They are not grounded and move away from the initial position - moon walk.

The advice about the terrain is great.

Thanks again.
Edited
15 Years Ago by vlad74xsi
vlad74xsi
vlad74xsi
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thank you sw00000p. Smile
nicknowland
nicknowland
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)Veteran Member (518 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Hi again...
When I inquired of support before I bought version 4 I was told that this sliding/floating effect had been fixed in this new version. As I said, in my post of the 10/27/2009, I can see it's better but it's still by no means fixed.
Peter you say that we can go to the motion layer etc... Can you give us more information please because I can't see where I can influence this effect in the time line-motion layer. In fact I can't find the alignment options you speak of.
What I can see is that scaling a character makes it much more obvious....

Maybe you could you post another of your helpful online video tutorials on YouTube?? Or is it in one of them already...

Looking forward to some suggestions....
best wishes Nic

Reading This Topic