Profile Picture

Avoiding a master-slave video configuration ?

Posted By rguy 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rguy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
So when buying a system with an AMD or Nvidia video card how do you know if your buying a computer systems that uses a master-slave video configuration that won't allow you access to the
video's card control panel and that doesn't have a BIOS setting. Is it just pot luck ? IClone 6 doesn't support the 530 Intel Graphics Card !

The technology for the dual video configuration is called "Optimus" by NVIDIA and "Enduro" or "Dynamic Switchable Graphics" by AMD. The problem occurs because the switching software chooses the wrong GPU for AutoCAD or your other 3D Title..
Fix
1. Disable the integrated (or switchable) adapter in your computer BIOS to force the system to use only the high-end graphics. The bios setting may be labeled along the lines of "default video," "integrated video," "Intel video," "Optimus," or "Enduro."

2 . From your video driver control panel, manually set the proper GPU for AutoCAD or 3D Title  use

Problem - Some computer systems may use a master-slave video configuration. Intel HD Graphics is the master and NVIDIA/AMD is slaved to it. All display signals go through the Intel chipset no matter what card is being used. With this configuration, the second option above is the only solution. The BIOS will not have a setting to disable dual graphics.

My problem is I couldn't access the control panel for the video card and of course the BIOS didn't have a setting..

Edited
8 Years Ago by rguy
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

530 intel graphics is not a graphics card... its part of the CPU.
Most intel chips series 2 3 4 5 6 7 come with onboard graphics ....

If a system has a dedicated card AMD or Nvidia that is always the master.

They all have control software.
the 530 has drivers and a control panel as does AMD and Nvidia.
just right click your desktop.....the control panel for all graphics should be there. windows...

You can turn off the on board 530 graphics in the motherboard bios settings of almost any motherboard if you have an AMD or Nvidia card installed,
or keep 530 on and pump a 2nd or 3rd monitor with it I do....

if you dont have control panels for your graphics, you probably dont have the drivers installed.....or you just might not know
where the settings are BigGrin

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
8 Years Ago by kevin.S
rguy
rguy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

I just sent a 8900 back to Dell that had neither the BIOS setting or the option to select the dedicated GPU's control panel.
I tried a list and a half of fixes. Their was a common Windows 10 Issue that just had you upgrade the card that fixed the problem in most systems.  ......
I understand how the set up is suppose to work but they keep flooding the market with these systems that are just slaved to the 530 and that are not allowing access to the
control panel in the dedicated GPU or a changeable BIOS setting. .
They could save us both a lot of time and cost if they just noted if the system was slaved or not.
I guess I'll just keep on asking the computer manufactures but those questions frequently come with silence.  

I guess I'm just a little paranoid about going through the same process and would like to avoid it if possible.
Edited
8 Years Ago by rguy
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 51 minutes ago
It sounds painful... It's not for everybody, but building your own system saves a lot of headaches.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

animagic (10/31/2016)
It sounds painful... It's not for everybody, but building your own system saves a lot of headaches.

Agreed 100%....

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
rguy
rguy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

In building your own system , how would you know what the switchable graphic options are and if it was going to use a master-slave video configuration or not ?  Then ,  once you fixed the problem noting if it was a slaved configuration or not ,  how would you know if their was going to be a driver available that actually allowed the discrete GPU to run correctly as the primary GPU ?  
Can you go to Intel or AMD and get these specs ? My guess is that in most cases the manufacture drivers should work fine but ...........

For Example Auto Desk built their own drivers for this very own purpose for all their software titles.
Auto Desk Moderator Notes Here -
And about the only driver you can get that works, once you fix the problem above, is from here if one exists
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Ok - Maybe I'll just have to jump back into the market but I kind of like to think If I spend a thousand dollars for a computer,  I will be simply be able to open IClone and use it as well as any other title that doesn't support the 530 adapter.

The first computer I built was for a guy in the wheelchair that lived next door. I got it all put together and got the case closed ,  plugged into the wall and hooked up the monitor and I didn't know how to turn the computer on. lol - Yeah ! It worked just fine !

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 51 minutes ago
One way to avoid these problems is looking for a system with a CPU/chipset that doesn't have built-in graphics (usually the more expensive ones). The only reason for built-in graphics is for PCs that don't have other graphics capabilities. Even if you buy a PC, it should be easy to switch the master/slave option on or off in case there is a graphics card.

AMD and NVidia have their own drivers, so if the card listed, you could use their drivers. But it could be the manufacturer's own version and then you usually need to use their driver. If you like the computer otherwise, you could replace the GPU with a regular one that uses the drivers of the card's manufacturer.

At least you now know what to avoid, stay away from PCs that use the master/slave setup.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

rguy
rguy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for your answer. Well thought out. ^ 5
As long as I can get into the control panel and set the settings and the drivers ran alright ,  I would be happy. If your looking to build your own system,  I would avoid the slave units unless I had a direct confirmation from the manufacture. Who wants to be completely locked out of their GPU's control panel.  I contacted Intel and their advise was as following.
Hi Richard, for this it is best if you consult the motherboard manufacturer because each BIOS is different and the manufacturer are more equipped to support you since they are the ones that assembled the product together. Regards. -PG
Edited
8 Years Ago by rguy
rguy
rguy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

As long as this is errrrrrrrrrrrrr a problem or a topic   - IBUY and Cyber have both stated that their systems aren't built like this and it wouldn't be a problem. If I bought a computer from them though , I would call them and insure them that you need a system that doesn't use or rely on any kind of adapter or board graphics. Some of those warranties and tech support plans given with these purchases are really nice considering what you would pay for them at HP or Dell .. For most of us that's use to buying computers from HP , Dell , and etc ......were just going to have to start thinking about these companies who build gaming systems. Which isn't a bad thing. Auto Desk has and is still adding to their knowledge base on how to resolve the current problem with running their software in these systems with 502 adapters and referencing their customers back to the manufactures for resolving issues where theirs no option in resolving the issue of not being able to run the software or selecting the GPU settings. Apparently their remains driver problems also. CNET claims that over all the adapters aren't a problem in the community but you can still find post at Auto Desk claiming they are and you would have to consult with companies like IClone to understand how much of a problem it is with them as a software company. If at all. I don't know if the problem is more common with just Auto Cad or  not. I just have to buy a computer and move on at this point.

Reading This Topic