Profile Picture

Making original Cloth / Accessories for a HUGE character?

Posted By Alon Dan 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Making original Cloth / Accessories for a HUGE character?

Author
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
That's true, the scalling a CC character not only cause weird twisting on the clothes but also on the model textures... that's why I've tried to keep it as simple as possible.
If I only could just make a normal character and scale it inside iClone with the clothes and everything it would be much easier but scalling is always disabled when I try it, not sure if it's a bug or iClone just won't allow it.

Yes, the many other tests I were used the Templates that came with CC 1.5
- Base Male.fbx 
- Base Male.fbxkey

And I'm getting the same errors, that is why I'm pretty sure it is something I'm doing wrong in Blender.
As I said I'm following the video tutorial from Reallusion the PIrate one, since it uses Blender and it's easy to follow on the Binding / Weight Maps (I thought it will be complicated but it is very simple).

So my other conclusion was that if it's not the model, it must be something with the cloth model.
So I've modeled something very simple such a simple plan with few faces... but it wasn't the problem, it doesn't matter what kind of cloth model or Accessory I use, the errors keep coming either on the Base Male.fbx or on my own huge character.

Re-Install again from scratch with the most updated versions didn't solve the problem either, that's why I'm very confused, can't really think about how to make it work for me while it works perfectly fine for others... Sad
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 59 minutes ago
It is not an installation problem AFAIK. Smile I have had my armature get renamed, or duplicated, on occasion. I have not bothered tracking down the cause, as it is pretty un-common. That will break it!

So.... Check your scene tree in Blender to make sure it matches that of the default. If you ended up with "Arature 001" or something, then that would be the problem.

So, start with the default male, regular size, and make your vest on him. Export and test with CC. If it works, go back to Blender and scale your model up. Just select everything and scale it up as big as you want. Now export that. Your humanoid is large, but not that extremely shaped, so just getting the scale right might be all you need for it to work well.

Another thing that is valuable to know, is that you can scale the bones of your character in pose mode, set that pose as the default pose, and then send that to CC. CC will import that distorted character just fine (import it as cloth), and then you can save it as a morph. The reason you might want to do something like that is you can create asymmetrical bodies, like one leg or arm shorter than the other.
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Great tips, I've learned a lot from what you explained, thanks Rampa!
For now I'm in a situation that the all scaling is not even interested me anymore, because even a normal size (default) CC won't work without these weird errors... so once I'll solve this basic import situation I'll try something more complex, since it's already very complicated for me to solve without any luck so far.

I took a Screenshot for the Armature itself after binding (ready for export to FBX back to CC), maybe you can see something weird that I missed?

I don't think there should be a reason for renaming because I never renamed anything beside the Vest model which started from a Plan... Maybe you can see something wrong that I should change / fix.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aa97962e-c11e-4621-badd-366e.png
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

That looks fine.

Did you un-check the leaf-bone box in the export?

Also Make sure you are running Blender 2.77a.
Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yes, it's the very first thing I do before clicking the Export button,
I even have a preset of the FBX from Blender to CC so I won't need to mess with it. Smile

I will do some more tests, I will also restart my machine for any case... I'm starting to think it's a bug or something, I will also try to use the older version of Blender instead of the latest one.

I'm doing any test I can think of LOL! I must solve this somehow it's driving me crazy hehe.
I will keep on update after a few more tests.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Which error are you getting now?

Can you post a screenshot of the error you get now?
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It's that same CRITICAL error again:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0168b1f4-a687-4f79-a874-3ccd.png

I will finish some work here and will try everything again from scratch after restart the computer.
I will update in here, but if anybody else ran into this and can share the solution, please also feel free to let me know.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That's the missing materials you showed on your blender model. I wonder why they are going missing?

Try loading that exported FBX file in 3DX, or back into Blender, to double check that the materials are there.

Starting from scratch is a good idea. Test each step of the way to see if you can isolate where the problem occurs.
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

UPDATE:

OK! This is weird... The good news (kind of) is that after restarting the machine:
I've done EXACTLY THE SAME STEPS as I already did zillion times.

Now it finally let me import into CC I can see the Vest (cloth model) in CC and when changing Calibrate poses it works well consider it's a low poly cloth (I should add more faces but it was for the test).

The bad news (also kind of) is that I HAVE NO IDEA what I've done wrong, and I have that strong feeling that it will happen again on the next time I will add another model such as pants, armor or anything else... 

So, of course I should ignore it and just go for it and continue working on the character's clothing but I'm sure that it wasn't the reset of the PC that solved it, because I've already done it a few times after I re-installed all the RL software so this is VERY RANDOM to me.

I didn't change ANYTHING this time, that's what bothers me, how come it works now... again, I know that I should just focus on creating but in my experience, if I won't understand and solve something it will pop-up again and I will not have a clue how to deal with it.

This is very weird, I will try to continue working on the character during the next week and see if I ran into more weird errors with no special reason.

I've tried to think so hard if I changed anything, but NOPE! same exact steps I've done... that's very random for me.
What do you guys think? any theories why this happens with no special reason?

Please share you thoughts I'm very curious to solve this mystery not just for me but for the community and for people who may ran into this issue in the future.

Suddenly it works, what's with the random lucky import/export... 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1174af15-f339-47c8-9460-77ec.png
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Super! Smile

Was that the same model that started working? Or did you start from scratch, redoing the entire process?

Reading This Topic