HITFILM PRO 4 vs SONY VEGAS PRO 14

Posted By rampart 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
It looks like Magix has completed development work on the Sony Vegas Pro version 14..
The price for updates is $200 and the price for Hitfilm 4 Pro update is $200

I have used Vegas for about 5 years.
I have used several Magix applications and they have been OK, but the applications didn't have to be as efficient as Sony Vegas.
The last Vegas release was around 2 years ago, and I got a Hitfilm 2 Ultimate version in the bundle.
The Vegas 13 didn't seem to me to be noticeably improved over my previous version 11.
A bit disappointing, but being familiar with Vegas I wasn't disappointed.
I gave up on the Hitfilm 2 Ultimate almost immediately, because it just wasn't as competent an editor for video and audio.
Vegas has always been an audio powerhouse from my viewpoint.
Memory management of audio and video was basically second to none.
I did the Adobe Creative suite for a year, and Premier didn't offer any advantages.
Then again...Adobe annoys me.  Just today I got another constant "update your adobe player" message

The Vegas render engine is very competent for my video work...which is mostly internet quality 1930x1080 or 1280x720.
I realize an Octane render will put out some outstanding work, but I don't have a render farm system to process the video.
The Vegas renders are very fast compared to practically every render engine I am aware.
Also, I had excellent efficiency when I setup and sync audio for import into Iclone timeline.
I've used Iclone alot and the memory for timeline applying audio and video with around 6 actors was slow and CTD constantly.
When I do the audio with Vegas and then bring in the actors viseme one at a time the timeline works well enough.
I systematically work through the actors to a complete clip.
Yes, I have learned to reduce the length of my clips.

Video production is not some new, and exciting thing for me any longer.  I have to use a large number of applications and don't look forward to having to learn new ones.
I am thinking Hitfilm 4 pro might be worth learning, if I can replace Vegas Pro...and enjoy a library of special effects. 
I have a large library of NewBlueFX effects and plugins I use with Vegas Pro, but I think they can be ported to Hitfilm pro 4 as NewBlueFX supports a large number of NLE applications. The effects I have with Sony Vegas do not compare to the "after effects" type of Hitfilm.

I am seriously lookng to update with Hitflm 4 pro, moving on from Vegas Pro.  It is my understanding it is now a more powerful video editor and audio is very good as well.
Couple these items with the compositing ability, which would be a help working with Iclone. 
Now... I cannot confirm or deny any improvements in either application.
That is the purpose of my posting.  I would appreciate to read from other Iclone users, espectially those using Hitfilm pro 4.

I contacted Hitfilm about my concerns and got a vague, you can try express for free...like I don't have anything else to do.  LOL

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
DebMark Productions
DebMark Productions
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I also have been using Vegas for about 8 years and use it much more than Hit Film.  I have Vegas 13. Many things that Hit Film does can be done in Vegas, sometimes more easily.  However, Hit Film has the edge over Vegas in special effects that Vegas cannot do without a lot of work, if at all. I would not update to Vegas 14 because the new features it offers I would never use. I also don't like it being $50 more than the regular upgrades that Sony offered ($149). Actually, Vegas 13 is not much different from Vegas 5 that I used a long time ago.  The features it has added in no way has helped me to edit my videos any better.  If you are going to update one or the other, I would definitely upgrade HitFilm over Vegas. It gives you more bang for the buck.  But that's only my opinion based on what I do with both.  Of course, everything you do in HitfFilm transfers nicely into Vegas if you need to.
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hitfilm gets my vote...

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I have been editing since the 1980's when the non-linear editing first arrived on the scene. Most of the 80's we still used tape based machines. I have used AVID, Final Cut, Premier Pro and AE, Premier Elements, Vegas, I never really got into Blender as a video editor just fooled around with it. I have also used Grass Valley Edius. When I have something quick to do I use Cyberlink PowerDirector. I have probably messed around with nearly every single editor available today. 
But now for professional work I use Blackmagic Resolve. It comes in two versions the free version and the paid version called Blackmagic Resolve Studio. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion 
It took me a few hours to learn how to use it but it was worth it. 
The best thing for me is that the company keeps the program up to date when new related technology comes on line. 
There are a few things that bug me. 1. It takes a pretty powerful computer to run smoothly. 2. Your computer needs a pretty hefty graphics card 3. The audio mixing and editing is not as robust as Premier or Vegas. 

rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Mark
You are on point.  I started with Vegas Pro 8 and didn't see alot of difference in version 13.
Hitfilm makes sense, Magix with the 14 release will probably ride the coat-tails of Sony.
It will be awhile before significant changes, and if I need it I will still have Vegas 13.

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

My only concern at this time is...
Hitfilm has released new versions each year of late. The updates are usually $200.
Think I will wait abit to find out more about a new release.
I am pretty well convinced Hitfilm is the way to go.
The special effects for Vegas have mostly been for things that make things Vegas work and look better.

Thanks to everyone for responding and sharing... really helps alot.

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I have Hitfilm 4 as well as Sony Vegas 13 and although Hitfilm may have many special effects, I find it inadequate as a competent non-linear editor compared to Vegas. Audio is important to me and one obvious thing missing in Hitfilm is the selection of the audio device (it takes the default). The crucial reason for me to upgrade or not to Vegas 14 would be whether it supports the latest NVidia cards to use GPU-enabled rendering. Sony Vegas 13 is a couple of generations behind.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (9/25/2016)
animagic (9/25/2016)
I have Hitfilm 4 as well as Sony Vegas 13 and although Hitfilm may have many special effects, I find it inadequate as a competent non-linear editor compared to Vegas. Audio is important to me and one obvious thing missing in Hitfilm is the selection of the audio device (it takes the default). The crucial reason for me to upgrade or not to Vegas 14 would be whether it supports the latest NVidia cards to use GPU-enabled rendering. Sony Vegas 13 is a couple of generations behind.

HitFilm is sold as an Special Effects software (VFX).....
Not as a video editor.

If you want an awesome video editor that has some vfx functinality.... Buy Sony Vegas.
If you want an awesome VFX software that has video editing functionality....Buy HitFilm.

You make good points.  I tried to get Hitfilm support to declare Hitfilm was a competent NLE.
The support person pointed me to trial and express versions.  In other words, they would not come out and declare it was on par with Premier, Vegas, etc.

Since Magix bought Sony Creative applications I was thinking Hitfilm would no longer be pleased to tag along behind Sony Vegas and sell an add-in applicaitons
Visiting the Hitfilm forums I read where Hitfilm has a clear annual updating plan.

I received a Magix email about the Sony Vegas Pro 14 upgrade release.  I would buy it instantly, if Sony still owned it. 
Sony Vegas Pro doesn't look a lot different from Version 8 to  Version 13.  Yet, it works, and works for me.
I am familiar with some Magix applications, which quite frankly work as well.

Animagic -  Audio is one of the most important features of Sony Vegas Pro.  I suspect Magix can make some real improvements there.
There is an old saying... "You don't miss what you haven't had"  -  In the case of SV -  "You will miss what you have had, when you don't have it"
I have several audio editors, which I rarely use.  I do have some plug-ins for my SV that make up shortfalls in the audio tools. 

This thread is fruitful for me, because I am re-thinking the Sony Vegas Pro vs Hitfilm 4 Pro.  I think I will go into wait and see mode for the next couple months.

I appreciate the thoughtful responses... thank you

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have been very interested to learn more on this topic. Over the past couple days I have made some postings on the Hitfilm forums as well.
I am providing a link to the thread for others who are following this thread to read.
The responses are interesting.  I do have additional thoughts to share on this topic, but I would appreciate to read from others first.
It is not my purpose to run on about a topic where there is little or no interest.
My questions and concerns are real, but this may not be the place to post about them.

Hitfilm Forum

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

swoooop
No disagreement with you on this.  I have spent most of the day working with the RL popvideo 3 and my video files from previous projects.
It is darned amazing what you can do with that application.  Layering transparent videos, etc.
If I quit playing with it long enough to complete a project it might be fun to make a video for Iclone users to see some of the tricked out things it is capable.

The tradeoff is negligible.  I don't have enough problems with SV 13 to sweat updating it to SV14 at this time.
I can see waiting on Hitfilm 4 Pro for release 5, which should probably be out by Christmas.
Then again... I got an offer for the entire Adobe Creative Suite for $30 per month for one year, which includes Premier,Photoshop,After Effects and other applications.
The only problem is...after one year they always up to $50 per month.  So, on balance it is probably worth it to just plan for $600 per year for applications and updates.
The Adobe creative suite is updated constantly as well.
I don't spend $600 per year now.  Yet, I know one thing sure.. Hitfilm is a $200 per year update, and Magix will pump out SV for a similar charge.  My photoshop is CS4, so it is a bit dated.

I'm thinking the newer photoshop includes 3d animation tools as well. I haven't investigated this, but it might make the Adobe Creative Suite a more financially palatable choice. Rather than purchasing Vegas and Hitfilm.  After Effects may not be as quick to learn as Hitfilm, but it is a standard.
Photoshop & Animation

Reading This Topic