All you have to know about DRM and product activation

Posted By Visconti 15 Years Ago
Rated 2.6 stars based on 5 votes.
Author
Visconti
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Dear users

Installing iClone and purchasing & installing content from Reallusion is verified with Reallusion’s DRM (content registry) system. When content is first purchased, installed and activated, that content will be verified by Reallusion via internet and will be registered for that content being matched with the Serial Number (SN) of that version of iClone that it was activated. If a user had purchased and had been using DRM protected content, and for some reason Reallusion’s server goes down; this would not be problem because the online registry system is only checked the first time content is activated inside of iClone. Therefore, the user could continue using that content without any hindrance.

As for using iClone application, at no time does iClone require a connection with Reallusion’s server, except for when contacting Reallusion for updates at iClone’s startup (but again, this is not a requirement for iClone’s operation).

Therefore, if a user had purchased iClone3 and then purchased DRM protected content, the activation process would have the registry system match that content with iClone3. If a user wishes to open that same content with iClone4, the iClone4 AP will have to check with Reallusion’s registry server once in order to activate the content in iClone4. When the content has been successfully activated in both versions of iClone, the content can be used for either version without evoking DRM Protective Watermarks.

This issue came to surface this past weekend when Reallusion’s Server Provider went down. Therefore, first time purchasers or users trying to open iClone3 content with iClone4 viewed watermarks. Again, this will not be the case after all DRM protected content has been activated at least once within all iClone versions.

The product activation is the common circumstance in industry, for more detail you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_activation for better explaination.

Thanks for all the uses to let us have the chance to clear things up. Please feel free to let us know if you got more questions.

To let people fully understand the product activation issues about AP & content, Reallusion has arranged a complete table as below.

Sincerely
Reallusion, Inc.

iClone Behavior over the Internet

Visconti
Forum Moderator

Reallusion, Inc.
https://forum.reallusion.com

Mel H
Mel H
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thank you Vesconti very well explained.

Carmello Holden

musicaz
musicaz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
omg is that scarey ?
alexau
alexau
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
thanks
redeproyectos
redeproyectos
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago

I need to know if I can use with iclone " PhaseSpace Improve 8" is an application with cameras and sensors along with a suit can be used to capture movements. This could be used ?. I must buy to work properly .
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
redeproyectos (5/20/2016)

I need to know if I can use with iclone " PhaseSpace Improve 8" is an application with cameras and sensors along with a suit can be used to capture movements. This could be used ?. I must buy to work properly .

This doesn't seem to be an actually available product but a university research project. As such it will not be compatible with iClone. If it exports to BVH or FBX it may be useable,but there is no guarantee.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

prestonux
prestonux
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
This seems way too complicated for an average user to understand. Too bad because your product seems great. Why make it so complicated? Make something a purchase 1 time, thats it you own it and do what you want with it.

Edited
8 Years Ago by prestonux
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
prestonux (8/29/2016)
This seems way too complicated for an average user to understand. Too bad because your product seems great. Why make it so complicated? Make something a purchase 1 time, thats it you own it and do what you want with it.

It may seem complicated at first glance but really it isn't. Smile

Basically you just need to be online when you first install and use any content purchases. Then you can use the content offline.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

mortalez
mortalez
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)Senior Member (372 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
All  DRM does is make things harder for regular users, thanks to DRM I have a flashdrive with hundreds of saved email's with registration codes to software I have bought since the 90's and what if this becomes orphanware? next time I upgrade computers I am screwed.
DRM is evil, it does not stop the crooks  and creates a hassle for everyone else.

Urban VR

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I know this is a necro thread but my flakey internet has given me a lot of issues with content verification on stuff I have verified before so I know iClone does dial home.
A message comes up it is doing it and sometimes fails then I get watermarks.
This is common if I happen to be uploading a video to Youtube the same time.
iClone is not by anymeans alone in this, Octane render does it too.

Reading This Topic