Why I am beginning to hate 3dxchange

Posted By gogstudios 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Blazoneer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)Veteran Member (677 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Wow--this forum is a gold mine for iClone and 3D Exchange problems.  I'm pre-shopping, so this is saving me money.  For $600, Blender compatibility and other 3rd party-program compatibility should be a given--it's the core feature of this suite. 
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Blazoneer (11/18/2016)
Wow--this forum is a gold mine for iClone and 3D Exchange problems.  I'm pre-shopping, so this is saving me money.  For $600, Blender compatibility and other 3rd party-program compatibility should be a given--it's the core feature of this suite. 

You can't blame 3DXchange for poorly implemented FBX functionality of other software. DAZ FBX import doesn't work although export seems to be finally fixed. Also, since FBX is Autodesk proprietary and Blender is Open Source, there are philosophical conflicts...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Mr_Squarepeg
Mr_Squarepeg
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)Senior Member (441 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey Sw000p - 
So I use Unreal Engine and Blender frequently. That said - I am very much in tune with blender community and it's development.

Calling the Blender .FBX Exporter crap is very short sighted and disrespectful.They literally had to remake the FBX api for blender because Autodesk does not like the blender foundation and Blender. Plain and simple. There was a time where the blender devs were ready to give up on the .FBX format. Keep in mind that Autodesk does not cooperate with the Blender Foundation.

Autodesk is in the business of making money. When a competing product comes up and is offered for free and open source.
This case Blender you bet Autodesk is going to do everything in their power to prevent that tool from taking off. Same with preventing them from using their file formats.

The blender devs are some of the best in the space when it comes 3D modeling apps, computer graphics, etc.

Personally speaking I just wish that Alias continued to develop Maya opposed to Autodesk. Same goes for the Developers behind 3DS max and XSI.
Because if Autodesk ever goes under which is a possibility considering they have laid off 10% of staff in favor of cloud based solutions.
Allot of people are SOL and will be looking for a new 3D package. Meanwhile I see Blender getting ready to crank things up to 11 with their 2.8 update.

As for 3DXchange I do not like it. Paying for the ability to export is just silly. Especially in this day and age when export licenses exist. I do not know just me tho.

sw00000p (11/24/2016)
animagic (11/23/2016)
...FBX is Autodesk proprietary and Blender is Open Source, there are philosophical conflicts...Unsure

I won't "Sugar Coat" it...
Autodesk has a long history of gobbling up the BEST...software, tools, algorithms and more.

~ Autodesk FBX.... Copyright and Production Proven (World Wide)
~ Blender's FBX.... chitty code

If Blender programmers COULD create their FBX code to run as smooth as Autodesk's fbx does...
THEY WOULD.

...but they can NOT! Crying
_______________________________________________________________________________________
                                          3dxchange works as advertised!

Edited
8 Years Ago by HeadClot
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

@HeadClot: When I mentioned philosophical differences that is what I meant. Open Source requires the source code of the software to be available to all for inspection. A lofty goal, but you can't blame Autodesk for not participating in that. There are other proprietary interfaces that have widespread use and that is where Open Source software is in a bind. This is just an observation, but it is a reality.

As to 3DXchange, it is much more than just an exporter. It is valuable for those who know how to use it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

gogstudios
gogstudios
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago

As for 3DXchange I do not like it. Paying for the ability to export is just silly. Especially in this day and age when export licenses exist. I do not know just me tho.

Welcome to BigDaddy RL's HOUSE!
The truth is, "What BigDaddy RL says it its!"Tongue

Well then BigDaddy RL better prepare for a sales dip.

When the bridge software between proprietary iclone format and external software does not support 1 out of 4 softwares it is supposed to bridge, you cannot exactly call it a bridge. Of course blender has implemented maybe in a poor way, isn't that why bridge softwares like 3dxhange exist: To make sure they are compatible no matter how the other software like blender has implemented.

SkyRoads clone for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gog.skyroads
Target Number - A math puzzle game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomag.targetNumber

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

RL works pretty closely with Autodesk, I believe. You can be assured that they are using the "authentic" stuff. Blender FBX was crap until 2.77, so if your using an older version of Blender, it has a higher likelihood of failure.
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
It should be noted Blender is not wholly incompatible with iClone, it is still incredibly useful even if the scenario mentioned here doesn't work well. Regarding 3DXchange, I see it this way, which benefits people on meager budgets like myself: I got to buy the whole app in stages. I see it as a suite, and you can get the starter package or get the whole bundle. With other 3d apps costing a lot more than the cumulative cost of the suite, I can't complain. And iClone it pretty ideal regarding complexity vs. functionality for me. I do wish you didn't need to bounce between the three apps plus CT8 for the face mapping, but after working in software QA I do see the wisdom in it: the development of the components, though related, are not pearls on the same string, and if an issue arises in one technology, it won't necessarily break something in another app. Now that 3DXchange 7 is on the way, I would love to hear what changes we'll see in that. I'm disabled and often any work on the computer is tedious, so any more streamlining of the conversion process they can achieve the better. I just preordered, so hopefully a build will be in my hands before too long Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

gogstudios
gogstudios
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Do you see the logical flaw in your statement? If 3dx doesn't support blender, then of course no one will be using blender + iclone to make a living. They would switch over to Maya because they have no other choice. If blender was supported, you would see the blender pros using it.

SkyRoads clone for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gog.skyroads
Target Number - A math puzzle game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomag.targetNumber

gogstudios
gogstudios
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Your unfounded bias towards maya is clouding your logic. Good luck using Maya. I will stick to blender.

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I'm wondering if anyone has had better luck exporting from Blender to .3DS then 3DXchange. I am clueless of the issues with doing that though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Reading This Topic