Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Weight Maps and Physics: Getting Hair, Capes, and Clothes to Drape

Author
General.png
Mythcons1
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)Veteran Member (772 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hey there,
This is a simple tutorial. I'm sure others have made a similar tutorial, and probably better quality, so I apologize if I'm redundant.

Here's robe I created, nothing special.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/eac04e30-ce74-49be-9609-bb04.jpg

Here's the UV for the robe mesh.

First, bake a white map onto the UV. You will end up with something like this:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1969ea11-4df7-444a-af30-7dcb.jpg

Open up the image in a texture editor, such as Photoshop. I'm using Clip Studio, but anything will do. Ideally, you want something that can fill layers with a gradient effect. You want to select the white with a 'magic wand' (whatever the tool is called that allows you to click on a color and select only that color. With the color selected, create a new layer on top of the base texture. Then, apply a gradient effect -- from black to white. The black must be at the top of the mesh, the white must be at the bottom. The black will mask the physics, and anchor the item. The white will allow the physics to effect the item. Save the texture as a PNG or JPG, under a name like 'Robe_WeightMap.png'.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bd750652-0615-455e-a06c-06da.jpg

Okay, back in iClone, activate the physics, and select a cloth preset, since we are dealing with a cloth item. I chose leather, because I picture the robe as being rather stiff. Now edit the weight map. Find the gradient texture you created and assign it to the weight map slot.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/abdba25d-94da-4fda-a2a7-8e39.jpg

Now, if you play the scene, the robe will drape over the character according to the physics settings. It will not fall to the floor, since some of the physics are 'masked' through the black color. You can adjust the Brightness and Contrast of the weight map to increase or decrease the physics masking.

Hope that helps someone.
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
It will surely help more than just few "someone".
Thanks a lot

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
8 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Great little tut Roberto, like your blue guy too! Smile

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

arudz
arudz
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)Junior Member (142 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi! I had a question regarding clothing with multiple textures. For example, a complex jacket with zippers, separated front and back and sleeves. Do i have to do this for every texture? Feels a bit repetative as sometimes there are 20 textures that seems like iclone wants me to add weight maps for.

Thanks!
Edited
2 Years Ago by arudz

Reading This Topic