TIPS and TRICKS on How to use IC 360

Posted By Alien Maniac 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 34 minutes ago
Oops. posting hiccup! Blush
Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 34 minutes ago
Twice! Everything jammed up, and I hit the post button again. Sorry.
Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
4DFans
4DFans
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Inspired by the U2 VR Music video "Song for Someone", I tried to see if my editing program could do split screen

And it can. Starts at 23 seconds in. I used the video inlay; scaled to the full vidoe frame, and then masked it and moved horizontally to position it. I'll experiment with different sized masked area and I should be able to move the video horizontally and split the video when I want to change the mask. I haven't figured out how to make mine do the animated reveals in the U2 video and I had to overwrite their masks,  This would have been a lot easier if the editor had video cropping features. I suspect this could be done in almost any video editor with video overlay capability.  

I am thinking of trying this for dream sequences, distant conversations or maybe chase scenes (seeing it from both the chaser and victim point of view (aka chasing Zhora)

Ray Higgins
4D Fans
https://s26.postimg.org/8qiy2pkex/4d_fans_title_plaza2_marketplace_650.jpg

Edited
8 Years Ago by 4DFans
4DFans
4DFans
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Rampa
The Virtual camera man Idea is Ok but I don't think the "look at" idea will work mostly because you can't control the camera angle. I'm finding that you really want to keep your camera horizontal to the plane you want the audience to be in and let the audience look up or down to get the effect you want.  If you look up or down with the camera it slants the whole viewing plane. I did this rather badly in the intro to my latest Blade Runner 360 video

The title looks pretty cool in VR, until you pan around and see the viewing plane is skewed and so the title is slanted. Admittedly I never really noticed it until I added the title so I suspect the brain  compensates for the slanted environment.  I think a better way to add dramatic effect from camera angle would be to keep the camera fixed to the horizontal plane of your scene and move the camera up and down to get the desired viewing angle.  

1. Using it with your virtual camera man idea could be don by adding a dummy object to the root of object that your camera can link to  and track to the axis of the object your looking at in a horizontal plane.  From there you should be able to move the camera vertically and rotate about the dummy object to get the effect you want.

2. If you are trying to do a POV from a character in the video, you could link the camera to the head of an invisible avatar. Also you could create a virtual body by making the head and all its pieces (eyes/mouth) transparent.  You might want to cap the neck with a flesh color disk to hide the hole. I don't know how jarring the head motion of walking and running would be. If this proves to jarring you might be able to constrain the camera to the horizontal plane (can you actually do that?). I might need to do some experimenting to see what works best.

The use of jump cuts may be jarring but probably not a lot more than they are in a regular videos; I suspect we get use to it. There is a Muse VR Music video that use a lot of cuts but does a good job at fading in and out to make the transitions smooth. The big problem I see that if some one is looking around when you jump he may miss something you want him to see. The MUSE VR tends to have things happening all around you so you are constantly looking around and the jumps actually bring more events in front of your view. In a less clutter or more focused plot you will have to keep the attention of the audience on the character or event you want. 

The sound clues are indeed important but unfortunately Iclone does not support them. Eventually RL should consider making iclone support more complete VR. Going stereoscopic should be easy (since they actually do that. the audio thing is significantly harder. Theoretically they could use the sound and location associated with each avatar and prop to generate the associated vr audio file but I suspect that's not a simple task. They may see if they can find some 3d party app that they can send the VR data too and have it build and render the file, much like they do with  indigo.  Hmm Can indigo do 360? might have to try

Ray Higgins
4D Fans

4DFans
4DFans
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I converted my Forbidden Planet tribute I did a fw months back  into 360 video. I didn't have to change a lot from my original video other than cameras. I feel I did not get close enough to the spaceship for the VR ... in my next one I will try to make it come down right on top of you and do addiona scene with Roby, Alta and Morphius. Admittedly I will ultimately need to balance the VR thrill ride with what works best with the plot and story flow.  I also think I may work up some props to do tiles  in 3D the standard 2 D ones look a little weird in VR.  I did the spaceship, terrain, sky, faces and outfits in iClone 5 along with GIMP, Hexagon 2,  Earth Sculptor, AVS Video editor and of course the Free Spatial Media Metadata Injector. 

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray Higgins
4D Fans

4DFans
4DFans
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

WIP Just playing around a little. Tried to make the Forbidden Planet letters humongous and have the ship nearly land on top of you. Kinda cool. I also did my own credits In 360.  I really designed these effect for VR goggles. I'm using forbidden planet and Blade runner to figure out how to do drama and action in VR/360. Thinking of doing my next scene with Robby or maybe in Morbius house I got some great models off 3D Warehouse

I'm figuring out how much the stereocopic contributes to teh VR expereicne. Does anybody know if iClone 7 will do stereoscopic 360? 3D audio would also be nice

Ray Higgins
4D Fans

4DFans
4DFans
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you would like reallusion to add Stereoscopic (Top/Bottom) 360 to iclone I've added a feedback tracker for it.
Iclone-really-needs-to-be-able-to-do-Stereoscopic-Top-bottom-360  Please VOTE
They did not have one for future versions, so I put it for latest iclone hoping they get the message

Ray Higgins
4D Fans

4DFans
4DFans
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you would like reallusion to add Stereoscopic (Top/Bottom) 360 to iclone I've added a feedback tracker for it.
Iclone-really-needs-to-be-able-to-do-Stereoscopic-Top-bottom-360  Please VOTE
They did not have one for future versions, so I put it for latest iclone hoping they get the message

Ray Higgins
4D Fans

Reading This Topic