Profile Picture

Considering getting iclone to help wth game development and I have some questions.

Posted By mark1974kc 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Considering getting iclone to help wth game development and I have...

Author
mark1974kc
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago

1)  Can you use characters made with iclone character creator in a commercial game and if so how much would that cost as this is important for smaller/independent developers like myself.
2)  Can you use assets from your store that people have created in a commercial game and if so how much would that cost.
3)  If I just used Iclone for posing/animating characters that were made in say blender would this require any money if used in a commercial game. This could include poses that are already in your software for instance.

Animation questions.
My game would be in the fighting genre so I have some questions related to that.

1)  I have seen via online tutorials that iclone uses editing poses to do animating but can I assume that you can also create your own poses/animations eg if the pose I want is not in your library can I create my own.  Examples would be specific stances for combat/ moves / reactions to being hit.
2) Can you animate more than one character at the same time  eg if one character say has a hold of the other and wants to perform a judo type throw or a wrestling throw.

Using your characters.

1)  I am looking to develop an arcade/download type game for xbox one + playstation 4.  Would your models be OK to use on these systems from a hardware POV.  I want my game to run well and not have lots of slow down/frame rate issues.  I also am considering having a two player split screen mode in my game so that means running two versions of the game at once and I would prefer that I don't lose the quality of the models or animation.

Edited
8 Years Ago by mark1974kc
will2power71
will2power71
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Mark as I understand it you can, but you have to purchase an export license for each iClone prop or figure that you take into your game. When you are in the Reallusion Content Store, you'll see two prices usually, one that's for use in iClone only, and the Export Price. In addition to that, I believe that you will need the 3DXchange Pipeline Version in order to do that

You can find more information at the link here.

When it comes to animating:

Yes, you can create your own poses and animations in iClone. The animations that you create yourself, you may export, but if you use purchased animations, then you need the export license in order to use them.
Yes, you can animate more than one figure at a time in the scene, however --you have to export each figure's motions independent of each other. 

When it comes to using iClone content in games, there's no easy answer to this question.

If you're looking for a blanket yes or no, then you're going to be disappointed. Each figure and prop and how it renders elsewhere depends on how much work you are intending to put into the game. There is no "easy" button when it comes to developing game assets. A lot of this is going to depend on the game engine you're using and what you're trying to do in the game and that's not just the figures. Your lighting, rendering engine and style of game is going to all come into play. If you are going down this road, it's probably best to start with the development platform that you are going to use, and see what's possible and not possible in that environment. My advice to you is to stop where you are right now and before you go buying this or that, do the groundwork that comes first. It's just my opinion, but I feel if you're going to do a game, you should model for your game engine and not for your animation tool. It's not possible to export Content Creator Characters without a license, so you can't use a trial version, so you have to decide for yourself whether or not you're willing to risk spending money in iClone content only to find for whatever reason they don't work well in your game engine. If you do some tests with various geometry styles and poly counts, you'll get an idea for what is going to work and what won't. Then you can show the examples to the users here and I'm sure someone will be more than happy to put some tests up for you and see if they can match the results.

I'm saying this because I noted in your post that you said you wanted to make a game, but you mentioned none of the things that would need to be known in order to give you an accurate answer. What game engine are you going to be using holds direct bearing on the answers to your questions about models and how they perform. The best we can do at this point is give you some general areas to concern yourself with but the simple truth is you won't know until you try. If it works, then fine but more than likely you will have to do a lot of tweaking in order to get those assets looking the way that you want them and performing at their best. iClone is a pretty easy system to learn, but it's not a one click solution to what you're after. Game Development means that you can't rely on others to make sure that your game characters look right or perform well in your game. From what I read of your post, it looks like you're looking for things you can just hit the ground running with, and that's probably not going to turn out well.

I would start with your game engine and work back from there. Find the assets that you want to use in your game from the game engine resources. Unreal Engine 4, Unity, Cryengine, Stingray all have their own shader systems for assets. You're going to have to work with getting your assets looking right in whatever engine you choose, then bringing them into iClone to animate. That includes the characters themselves. I believe you're looking at things from the wrong perspective in that you want to get your characters game engine ready, and then bring them into iClone to do your animations. That way, you won't have to worry about things being compatible because you will already know they are all right in your game engine. 

I say this from a tiny bit of experience --it's better to start and do everything as far as geometry, textures and shaders and make them for the app you intend to do the final work on, then take them into whatever package you intend to do the animations in --this way they don't have to really look right in iClone if you're not going to be doing the final animated outputs in iClone. Realistically, you could even just put together dummy figures with identical bone structures, work out your animations and then export your animations in FBX to your game engine if they're just simple characters. Now if you're going to want to do things like export the cloth animations in alembic --that is a whole 'nother story. All of this is stuff you have to decide before you start going to look for an animation package to do the work in. 
mark1974kc
mark1974kc
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)Senior Member (279 reputation)

Firstly thank you for that very long and informative answer. 

I want to be able to animate a sequence with two characters.  One character will have a hold of the other with both his hands and then throw him. Ideally I want him to have hold of his clothing for this throwing technique.  I also want to animate various striking attacks which involve a similar double handed grip but if the throw is possible I assume they would be as well.
If this is not possible then one character having a hold of one or both of the other character's limbs could be a viable alternative.

I have looked at some combat videos using iclone on youtube and could not find one video involving any grappling techniques like I mentioned which is why I am asking if this is possible.

Assuming that it is would I then render my finished animations in iclone for use in the unreal engine or render them in the engine itself?

If I am going to use iclone I fully intend to use it's character creator/clothing to make my characters.  I have some of what it is capable of in various videos and if this latest version seems like it would be capable of doing what I need.

Edited
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Mass Distribution Rights for Exported 3D Content
If the 3D Content (mesh, motion) you have purchased contains an Export License, then Reallusion grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to export this content via 3DXchange into .fbx, .bvh, .obj, .abc, or any other 3D file format.  You may then embed the converted content into games and applications that are for personal, commercial, industrial, or educational projects.  These 3D Content must not be available for public download or use, regardless of whether or not they are paid or free.  Reallusion content itself may not be repurposed and resold in an external content library regardless of format, under any circumstances. 

In order to acquire free mass distribution rights for Reallusion 3D Content, or Reallusion-sold 3rd party content, for use in game titles, apps, online services, or public kiosks; developers and vendors must first register their game or application information with Reallusion marketing. To receive a license agreement letter from Reallusion, please provide your project title as well as a short description and any relevant website links and information to marketing@reallusion.com for Reallusion to evaluate.

this is the part you need right here.  Make your game... purchase content marked for export license on the marketplace or their content store and once your ready to distribute the game you must email them to get a written license .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

mark1974kc
mark1974kc
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for reply urban I shall do that assuming I get this product and am happy with the results it produces + when my game is ready to be released.

I also had some animating questions relating to.....

One character grabbing another and iclone's clothing reacting correctly to this and also animating two characters together for various reasons.  Please look at my first reply to see what I am talking about specifically and if you have any thoughts on this subject please feel free to add them.

Edited
madicloner
madicloner
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)Veteran Member (681 reputation)

Well, UE4 is not really good. It has no really good graphics and the shop is very poor sorted.
Additional Unity has exactly that, what you search, right out of the box in 4 and in 5 you must do a bit script editing (no big skills needed) to get this from the UFE pack:

Additional needed motions even with two fighters "synchronized" you can get, too:

Joevolve
Joevolve
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)Veteran Member (702 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Will2Power71 am using iclone6 pipeline for game design in unreal engine 4 and I was wondering if animation possesing root motion
that are compatible with ue4, can be created in iclone 6 and if so will you be kind enough to show or tell me how

Reading This Topic