3D Character Design Contest Announcement

Posted By Miranda (RL) 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I see a glaring flaw in this contest unless I missed it in the rules.
I don't see anywhere in the rules where you can't be part of a studio or a large corporation and and just throw in some character that didn't end up in a movie or a team from an animation studio gets together and whip up some character and share some quick cash.

So if you are an amateur which is the majority of iClone users, forget it!
You know some design team or studio will decimate your chances of winning diddly squat.

As long as this is the case, I being a solitary work at home amateur will not even try.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Mythcons1
Mythcons1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)Senior Member (470 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Miranda (RL) (7/26/2016)
Mythcons (7/24/2016)
Hello,

Are we allowed to do copyrighted characters? Thinking about finishing my Thanos.

Hi Mythcons, paying tribute to the copyrighted characters is not forbidden to enter, however, we encourage entrants to create original designs which may get higher score based on the Judge Criteria in this contest. There are around 50% related to the originality. 

Okay, I started a Lobo submission already, but I will turn him into an original character that only references Lobo. This will give me more freedom to play around with some ideas I have. Thanks!
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Dragonskunk (7/26/2016)
I see a glaring flaw in this contest unless I missed it in the rules.
I don't see anywhere in the rules where you can't be part of a studio or a large corporation and and just throw in some character that didn't end up in a movie or a team from an animation studio gets together and whip up some character and share some quick cash.

So if you are an amateur which is the majority of iClone users, forget it!
You know some design team or studio will decimate your chances of winning diddly squat.

As long as this is the case, I being a solitary work at home amateur will not even try.

If you believe sw00000p, big studios laugh at iClone, so I think you're OK. I would be more concerned with talented iClone developers.

I have participated in iClone contests in the past (except for the Facebook ones) and have always found them to be fair. For example, we had the game character design contest last year. The participants were mostly individuals, and an a solitary contestant was the winner.

I think originality is the key here. If I look at many professional designs, they concern either ferocious monsters, heavy armored testosterone-laden dudes, or DD-cup-sized super gals. If you can think beyond that I think you have a fair chance.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a09220f-ab50-42ac-ad1a-33ec.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/Uploads/Images/d14339d0-cd32-4b35-88f9-40a0.png

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

If you believe sw00000p, big studios laugh at iClone, so I think you're OK. I would be more concerned with talented iClone developers.

I have participated in iClone contests in the past (except for the Facebook ones) and have always found them to be fair. For example, we had the game character design contest last year. The participants were mostly individuals, and an a solitary contestant was the winner.

I think originality is the key here. If I look at many professional designs, they concern either ferocious monsters, heavy armored testosterone-laden dudes, or DD-cup-sized super gals. If you can think beyond that I think you have a fair chance.

Thing is, it is not just an iClone contest, it is open to all sorts of software associated sponsors. The contest suggest registering with some forum that has nothing to do with Reallusion. The boarder the reach is the more it is likely that the contest will be won by industry pros.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Dragonskunk (7/26/2016)

Thing is, it is not just an iClone contest, it is open to all sorts of software associated sponsors. The contest suggest registering with some forum that has nothing to do with Reallusion. The boarder the reach is the more it is likely that the contest will be won by industry pros.

Hi Dragonskunk, 

We do not limit this competition to specific 3D users, skill-levels, or specific 3rd party 3D tools.  Our goal is to introduce CC and iClone to more artists.  We feel that CC in particular can be a game changer and our sponsors feels the same way due to their enthusiasm in pitching in value prizes.  There are a number of contest categories including Best Use of Virtual Reality, Best Use of Character Creator, and Best Use of iClone.  We will have more award categories paired with great prizes, so everyone has a chance to win!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7bfa005c-757b-4d68-87c9-39ef.png
Walt_R
Walt_R
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

I understand The Best Use of iClone and the Best Use of Character Creator, but perhaps you may want to add the categories of Most Use  of  iClone and the Most Use of Character Creator. Scenario: An Artist  has 3DMax and creates an awesome  looking character using that software. Then in iClone he adds hair. Theoretically,  he can win the Best Use of iClone by just adding hair to the avatar made in 3DMax.  Wink

Edited
4 Years Ago by llmagazine
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
llmagazine (7/28/2016)

I understand The Best Use of iClone and the Best Use of Character Creator, but perhaps you may want to add the categories of Most Use  of  iClone and the Most Use of Character Creator. Scenario: An Artist  has 3DMax and creates an awesome  looking character using that software. Then in iClone he adds hair. Theoretically,  he can win the Best Use of iClone by just adding hair to the avatar made in 3DMax.  Wink

Interesting point! BigGrin
In my point of view, the "Best Use" means that the entrant tests out a lot of functionalities and applies them on the entry perfectly.  Wink
RayLe
RayLe
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)

Hi,
Quick question: I know that iClone & Character Creator are not required but I want to use them for this contest. I believe you want to see more artists using your tools in their workflow, and its a big Plus, isn't it? However,  I can't run iClone and Character Creator, I got this error message. It seems iClone is not supporting GTX 1080 yet. This is such a huge disadvantage and not fair for people using GTX 10 series like me. I can't rig and animate well so I really need iClone6 in order to speed up the production, you guys should fix this issue as soon as possible. Since GTX 1080 is new, more and more people are gonna use it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d09464e0-81dc-40eb-ab6e-2162.jpg
Edited
4 Years Ago by RayLe
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

@RayLe: I use iClone with a GTX1080, so it must be something else.

EDIT: One thought: if your system has on-board graphics, make sure that the GTX 1080 is enabled. Also make sure that the original NVidia drivers are used. Windows 10 sometimes loads Microsoft drivers, which is not would you want. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a09220f-ab50-42ac-ad1a-33ec.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/Uploads/Images/d14339d0-cd32-4b35-88f9-40a0.png

Edited
4 Years Ago by animagic
RayLe
RayLe
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)

animagic (7/31/2016)
@RayLe: I use iClone with a GTX1080, so it must be something else.

EDIT: One thought: if your system has on-board graphics, make sure that the GTX 1080 is enabled. Also make sure that the original NVidia drivers are used. Windows 10 sometimes loads Microsoft drivers, which is not would you want. 

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_requirements.aspx
http://www.reallusion.com/iClone/character-creator/download.html

According to iClone requirements, they are not supporting GTX 10 series. I'm using Windows 7, and I don't have on-board graphics.
Edited
4 Years Ago by RayLe

Reading This Topic