Profile Picture

Walk and Sit

Posted By hischosenservant 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
hischosenservant
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I started using iClone 6 a few weeks ago and understand quite a bit, but the one thing that's driving me crazy, is trying to get my avatar to walk up to a park bench, then sit down. The walking part is no problem, but when it comes to applying the "Walk to Sit" motion, my avatar keeps turning around and walks backwards. Is there some trick to keeping the avatar going in the same direction as the path it's on? I can't find any videos on how an avatar can walk a ways, then sit down in the proper direction! If you can help, I would be so grateful! Thanks!
mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm sure someone, maybe Rampa, will show you a much better way but here's a quick down & dirty method to, maybe, achieve what you're looking for...

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I think you nailed it Mark! I certainly don't have a better way. Smile
mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

...well maybe roughed it in. Hopefully some of the new features will improve this kinda issue.
By the way...does Mason not follow a path? I couldn't get him to work. He would head toward the path but then just walk in place....weird... maybe just me or a known issue that I didn't know about.

PROMO-BACK2

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

hischosenservant
hischosenservant
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)Senior Member (259 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hey Mark, thanks for the tip. I see what he's doing and it's the same thing I've done before, but MixMove has a command called "Walk_to_Sit". This command does all the work for you, but the only problem is that; every time it's applied, the character turns 180 degree and walks backwards. Of course, this only happens with the Male character. For some reason, the Female character works fine, but it's too feminine for the guy actor. If you have the MixMove motions, maybe you could give it a try and see what happens on your end. Thanks!
mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

When I use the old MixMove animations I apply a "Walk" then a "Walk to Sit"...now for me he doesn't walk backward on the "Walk to Sit" he reverses direction which is something Rampa can explain. I think you'll find for now until they sort it out that this way will work OK for ya. Rampa has some great tutorials that are great on this kind of problem

Now I was able to apply Mason's Persona to Christian and Christian pretty much walked correctly with the little hiccups I mentioned in the tute that can be fixed.
If this stuff worked perfectly anybody could do it...TongueTongueTongueTongue

PROMO-BACK2

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you use the Mixmoves motions within the Mixmoves tool, they should always orient properly. If you apply them from the content manager, you'll get flippy-floppy on some.

mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

And as far as I can tell there's a bit of wonkiness to adjust either way ya goBigGrin

PROMO-BACK2

Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi Guys, 
I know this isn't quite the same situation, and there may be a bug with some of the new motions, but I'm adding this post here as a modest contribution, while also referring a few newbies to this post from other threads... so I hope you don't mind if I also add; 

Whenever I use a path for walk motions, I end up with noticeable foot sliding - which can be hidden by lifting the camera view higher than shins, but for any views that I prefer feet to be seen, I've also found the following options can help - sometimes one step is enough, but other times I'll need to do more than one thing; 

1) After loading the 2 motions, play with the length of the extendable "overlap". For some motions, lengthening it works, while other motions need it to be shortened, or reduced to no overlap at all. (this automatic and extendable overlap is that little semi-transparent part at the start of all motions, which helps to transition from one motion to the next, and is only visible when you click on the motion in the timeline)

and/or 2) sometimes it helps to align the motions by rightclicking on the second motion on the timeline, selection the option to "align whole clip" and then choose one that works best for your particular motion... e.g. for walking motions, I generally tend to align using the leg that is carrying the most weight in the last frame of the previous motion, because this is the leg that seems naturally to be the "most grounded" anyway. 

and/or 3) Apply your walk motion, and add a keyframe at both the start and end of the motion in the "Transform" line of the timeline... also add a keyframe in the "motion" line at the start and end of it too... then:
a) if the motion has a similar start position, then slide the second motion hard up against the first, adjust the automatic "overlap" down to nothing ... and then you can manually adjust the pose in the first frame of the second motion so it precisely matches  the last frame of the the first motion...

of b) if the motion is a dance or fight motion that begins with legs in a different position to the last frame of the previous motion, then slide the two motions apart more... usually 5 to 20 frames, depending on the character's speed... and then reduce the overlap to zero, add a keyframe in the Transform and Motion timelines at the end of the first motion, and the start of the new motion, and let iClone calculate the inbetweens automatically...  

To help align motions manually, I often insert this prop temporarily into the scene as both a floor and wall under and behind the character, so I can manipulate minute details of their pose with great precision; 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a29c86b9-7208-4fb6-b0ae-8630.png

and/or 4) if I need to "reverse" a motion, I just load it into the timeline, right-click on it in the timeline, and select reverse... I often do this for dancing or fighting scenes, where I need the character to end in the same position they began... and this reversal works really well if you need to "break" a motion in order to use only part of it. Sometimes it works even better than adding an "end motion" after the "loop motions". 

and or 5) If the smoothing of a join between motions is being particularly quarrelsome, I just add a small sphere near the most grounded foot of a character - with "dummy" switched on in the modify panel, or opacity switched down to zero so it doesn't appear in the rendered scene... and I lock the foot to the dummy by using the sphere as a "reach target"... (select avatar/animation/motion/motion layer/reach, then using the eyedroper in the "reach" panel to select the dummy sphere for the foot.... your character will still be able to pivot on the foot, but sliding will be reduced to negligible. 

... hope that makes sense..? 

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

Edited
8 Years Ago by Bleetz
netdjay
netdjay
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)Veteran Member (542 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks! This was EXTREMELY helpful!

Reading This Topic