Profile Picture

Is there a proper way to parent an object to the jaw when importing into 3DXchange?

Posted By michael7 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is there a proper way to parent an object to the jaw when importing...

Author
michael7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm 3/4 the way through a project and at the moment I'm stuck. I have a character I've created in Daz, and need to finish the animation in iclone. This character has a beard, anyone familiar with Daz might know Garabaldi hair, which I made it from. But basically that's irrelevant because you can't import Garabaldi hair into iclone. So I converted the hair to an object. I then parented the object beard to the characters jaw. I also made a head of hair, converted to an object and parented that to the head. When I export this and bring it into 3DXchange, it's all there, and the head of hair stays parented to the head when I move it around, but the beard doesn't stay attached to the jaw when I test the jaw movements, it just stays in one place. The jaw moves through it. Also, now the character is coming in with really thick eye lashes like it's wearing mascara whereas it wasn't doing this before. So I am wondering if the object hair is somehow interfering with something because as an object each hair strand is an object. But my main question is, how do I properly parent something to the jaw? Can I bring the beard in as a seperate object once in iclone and parent it to the jaw then? Will that work on a Genesis 2 Daz character?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
it sounds like part of the problem is that you are parenting the prop to a bone,  and when you do a morph - the jaw bone doesn't necessarily have to move -  which sounds like that case here.
You can attach it in iclone,  but iclone will do the same thing,   ie -  if you attach the beard to the rig / jaw -  and use a morph to use the lips -  where the jaw "bone" doesn't move,  but the face morph does move. 

in this particular case you need the beard to be part of the mesh,  not just attached,  so the deformations follow along. - especially if you plan to use morphs for facial animations. -  right now you could probably animate the beard separately by following along with the jaw bone,  if you do not require the beard to bend with the lips.

Cricky
Cricky
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Confucius Say:

The video above demonstrates that the Beard is a JAWBone and moves with the Bone of the lower jaw.  It was designed this way because of the bone and morph relations that have to be taken into account when preparing Facial Morphs in 3dXchange.  You can use a combination of Morphs and Bone animations in the 3dXchange Expressions editor that allow use of both Upper and Lower Jawbones to move the beard during speech.  Not all Phonemes will move the lower jaw in the same amount (e.g. "A" moves less than "O"), so you take that into account when doing the expressions. 

If the UV's are setup properly, the Beard can be made into soft cloth (as shown above in the demo)  which allows more motion when walking or moving.  It is held outside the body with Rigid Body "Collision Shapes" so it will not pierce the chest or neck if the character looks down or left.  The original Toon Character this was based upon  from Reallusion (Left side Model) would not allow this because of the structure, so I re-created him and made the necessary modifications to bone structure and UV mapping that allowed the Beard to flow as Soft Cloth while being "Pinned" to the chin using the PhysX Weight Mapping.  The beard has multiple adjustable bones in it also, for the times when collision detection of the cloth using PhysX is not interpreted properly.

michael7 (6/9/2016)
I'm 3/4 the way through a project and at the moment I'm stuck. I have a character I've created in Daz, and need to finish the animation in iclone. This character has a beard, anyone familiar with Daz might know Garabaldi hair, which I made it from. But basically that's irrelevant because you can't import Garabaldi hair into iclone. So I converted the hair to an object. I then parented the object beard to the characters jaw. I also made a head of hair, converted to an object and parented that to the head. When I export this and bring it into 3DXchange, it's all there, and the head of hair stays parented to the head when I move it around, but the beard doesn't stay attached to the jaw when I test the jaw movements, it just stays in one place. The jaw moves through it. Also, now the character is coming in with really thick eye lashes like it's wearing mascara whereas it wasn't doing this before. So I am wondering if the object hair is somehow interfering with something because as an object each hair strand is an object. But my main question is, how do I properly parent something to the jaw? Can I bring the beard in as a seperate object once in iclone and parent it to the jaw then? Will that work on a Genesis 2 Daz character?

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
PSD hit the nail on the head. The jawbone that your Genesis 2 figure has is not used in the facial animation in iClone, and so your beard will not move.
michael7
michael7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Thanks all for the replys! Smile I figured out yesterday I would probably have to paint the beard onto the face and use a bump and displacement map. At least it is just stubble so I might be able to get away with the illusion. I suppose the other thing I could do if I needed a fuller beard is use an iclone character with a beard and make the character invisible and overlay the Daz character. Apply the same motion plus file to both characters.
michael7
michael7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sw00000p I'll take a look at that video again but I'm not sure I can get away with that with a Genesis2 character.

Cricky I'll watch that and see if I can apply it. Thanks.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
A displacement map is a good solution. Do it in iClone, as maps are easily loaded, and you have a lot of control over the displacement level and tessellation.

Towards the future, there will be an explosion of new CC clothing shortly after CC 1.5 is released. You'll also be able to make your own, of course. I've got a sense that we'll be able to make facial hair the same way we make clothing. So, you may be able to work entirely "in-house" soon.
michael7
michael7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That's good news!
michael7
michael7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sw00000p, just to keep you updated, you might know this already but I went in and after I applied the Genesis2 male iclone face key to the character and looked at the key frames they do have the jaw bone move up and down with the morph, unfortunately it just doesn't come in that way into 3DXchange. I'm trying everything else first before I settle on painting the beard so looking at Cricky's advice now and trying that.
michael7
michael7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sw00000p thanks I appreciate all the advice I can get. Already did a fair bit with the phoneme / viseme, that's one of the primary reason I decided to get iclone, the Daz lip sync feature is horrible. I literally spent over a week in Daz tweeking the lip sinc for less than a minutes worth of animation till I had enough. Since over 3/4 of the animation work is already done with the main character in Daz I had hoped I could bring the iclone lip sync back into Daz and apply it to the character. Unfortunately either iclone or Daz, one of the two, was nearsighted in that regard and it can't be done. So now I'm bringing that character into iclone and will finish it there. So that's what all this is about. But I will be doing most future work in iclone. I will also be getting into the mocap very soon, another reason why I bought icone.

Reading This Topic