iClone 6 Fundamentals Train Videos Q&A by Alan Marques

Posted By Alan_M 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.

Author
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Thanks for that appreciated.  I have fixed the link in the other post I made too.

All the best

Alan M
j-wag
j-wag
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Re. video 103-03.16 camera on path down into the warehouse: 2 things are different when I do that:
1) When you pick the path for the camera, the path in the Path menu appears white whereas it appears light grey in mine.
2) As soon as I put the camera on the path, I can no longer rotate the camera in any direction, neither in preview mode nor can I pan or anything when the main viewport is set to that camera (it's not locked, auto level = off, local/global rotate doesn't matter). So I can't tilt it up to look upward at the shelves.

Before I picked the path, the camera could be manipulated normally.

Any idea what I've messed up?

Edited
8 Years Ago by j-wag
j-wag
j-wag
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

When I did the next video (103-03.18) and converted the key frames to a path, I was able to manipulate the camera along the path however I wanted.
Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Hi j-wag,

Does this help?

j-wag (6/17/2016)
Re. video 103-03.16 camera on path down into the warehouse: 2 things are different when I do that:
1) When you pick the path for the camera, the path in the Path menu appears white whereas it appears light grey in mine.
2) As soon as I put the camera on the path, I can no longer rotate the camera in any direction, neither in preview mode nor can I pan or anything when the main viewport is set to that camera (it's not locked, auto level = off, local/global rotate doesn't matter). So I can't tilt it up to look upward at the shelves.

Before I picked the path, the camera could be manipulated normally.

Any idea what I've messed up?

Alan M
Edited
8 Years Ago by alan_20090922165144871
Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The whole point as per my video is that if you use follow path the camera is locked to look along one axis of the path.  If you want to manipulate the camera you must not use the follow path option.

all the best

Alan M.

Alan M
Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you watch 11:00 timecode of video 103-.03.16 you will see a demonstrate the camera axis point along a specific direction, the only way to change this as per the video is to roll the control points of the path.  If you would prefer manual control of the camera, then you must not use the follow path feature then look at this timecode; 13:43.  however I think I would agree with you this video fails to point out that the follow path option has been turned off.  This is a very bad error on my part which occasionally happens when you do a course this complex.  I will create a graphic overlay that points this out and get this video re-published.

My fault many apologies.

All the best 

Alan M

Alan M
mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
This tute I did for the Flyover London video might help... about 24 mins. in. You could attach dummies to the path and "Link" your camera to a dummy and then you could rotate it and even better add another dummy for the camera to "Look At"...

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mark is dead right this is another technique that you can use.  I have used it myself but it was not possible to cover absolutely every technique in the Fundamentals series if I did then it might end up as an advanced course.

Lovely video Mark, great content and I absolutely love the lighting for the London flyover.  Beautiful.

mark (6/17/2016)
This tute I did for the Flyover London video might help... about 24 mins. in. You could attach dummies to the path and "Link" your camera to a dummy and then you could rotate it and even better add another dummy for the camera to "Look At"...

Alan M
j-wag
j-wag
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That was super interesting! Thanks for the technique for having the camera look where you need when attached to a path.

It was also great to see your workflow for the project. The end product looks fantastic!
mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Thanks guys!
Didn't want to hijack the thread but when we get all these cool  ideas together we just might have somethin'!!!TongueTongueTongue

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Reading This Topic