iClone 6 Fundamentals Train Videos Q&A by Alan Marques

Posted By Alan_M 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You definitely cannot transfer particle FX from Maya or any other 3D app.  The iClone particle system is sprite based and proprietary inside of iClone.  At present there is no way to import or export such data.
As to lights and indeed cameras there is also no support for this in 3DXchange.  When you export to iClone any FBX cameras and lights get stripped out of the final file.  I would love to see this feature with proper FBX or Alembic transfer for more than just geometry.  There are tricks to getting a camera and/or light position from outside of iClone into your scene and visa versa by using animated props and then attaching iclone lights and cameras to those imported props, setting them as dummy objects so you can hide them of course.  Convoluted and painful but that is iClone for you, it is amazing at somethings and way behind in others.

RagingKylo (6/7/2016)
Yes you're right. I followed your suggestion and export'em in pieces to Autodesk Maya, and it's not that hard to rig the main body and paint weights, but the hard part is to rig so many minor parts and not mess up the ik/fk and joint orientation. Thanks for your suggestions. Is it possible to export Maya particle fx or Daz lights to iClone? I know iClone not very good at special effects and some lights in Daz contents really amazing.

Alan M
RagingKylo
RagingKylo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
"Getting a camera and/or light position by using animated props"  Great suggestion!! Sounds like linking the light position to a null object in After Effects. Wow! I wanna figure out an easy way to do this. I'll try. Thanks!!!
j-wag
j-wag
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Re. Video 102-03:16: It seems to show the same attaching example twice: A) 3:01 -  5:51 B) 5:52 - 8:43
Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Thank for the notification, I will check into that and get back to you.

Appreciated.

j-wag (6/7/2016)
Re. Video 102-03:16: It seems to show the same attaching example twice: A) 3:01 -  5:51 B) 5:52 - 8:43

Alan M
RagingKylo
RagingKylo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

I've watched your courses twice by now, one by one, step by step. Now I can make an animated short movie all by myself, thank you Master Marques!! Only one question remains: How can I get a fantastic render quality in iClone? I tried the indigo plugin but it takes days (even weeks) of rendering time. I know iClone native renderer is way easier to use than Maya. But I just wanna know: when iClone gurus (like you) render out a movie, which one is your go-to solution? I still use Magic Bullet Looks (a AE plugin) to adjust the colors and skin tone, I know it's a very non-professional way of doing 3D animation. Sounds pretty awkward. I need your guidance. By the way, can I use those assets I bought from Daz to make movies? Thanks a million!!! 
wires
wires
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week

@RagingKylo,

At present, and possibly for the foreseeable future, there is no alternative outside the iClone renderer for doing a film. That being said, iClone offers a selection of output options. Mpg and WMV are, IMHO, OK for quick and dirty stuff. Uncompressed AVI produces excellent quality for ingesting into an NLE, and PNG video sequences offer top quality with the ability to modify even single frames in PS or AE.

On a good system Indigo/Indigo RT is great for single frames - in almost unlimited formats, but is totally useless for any animation work. I've never seen any animation clips rendered in the software demonstrated on the Glare Tech site - and there must be a good reason for that, although they do state that several Render Farms will do contract work on Indigo files. The RL exporter is totally unusable at the moment for any animation exports, and there are various posts on the Forum listing the reasons.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wires is correct, iClone's output is what it is.  iClone does not really have a renderer.  What you are actually doing is recording out the output of your DirectX 11 graphics card.  You simply turn on as many features as your card supports and then that gets recorded to disk in the format you choose.  Indigo on the other hand is a renderer, it is what is know as a brute force unbiased renderer and gives you access to global illumination, soft shadows etc etc.
As pointed out it is however a dark art to use and has a lot of issues.  I have just completed a research project for someone using iClone and Indigo and got some great results.  If you have a good graphics card then you can get some very good render times.  I have an aging GTX780 which in its day had the greatest number of CUDA cores per buck and I have to say it still flies with my Indigo renders.
There are loads of problems with Indigo, like the lenses do not match between iClone and Indigo and also the amount of time it takes to export an animated scene in .igs format.  Some of my shots took one hour to export.  So if you then have to tweak your white point or camera position you then waste another hour exporting.  I got around this and I have a script that runs under the Groovy language that allows me to edit the igs files after they have been exported.  So a one hour export gets swapped for a simple 30 second script run.  The script opens each .igs file, makes a safety copy, adjusts the chosen parameters and then updates the file on disk.  The .igs files are of course a form of XML so you can hack them manually but not advised as they have a structure that you need to keep intact for Indigo RT to be happy.  The script handles all of that including matching the camera lens to the one in iClone.
Anyhow, none of this helps you right now.  PBR is on the horizon and that will make a huge difference, just not sure when.  See this video for the demo:

All the best for now

RagingKylo (6/9/2016)
I've watched your courses twice by now, one by one, step by step. Now I can make an animated short movie all by myself, thank you Master Marques!! Only one question remains: How can I get a fantastic render quality in iClone? I tried the indigo plugin but it takes days (even weeks) of rendering time. I know iClone native renderer is way easier to use than Maya. But I just wanna know: when iClone gurus (like you) render out a movie, which one is your go-to solution? I still use Magic Bullet Looks (a AE plugin) to adjust the colors and skin tone, I know it's a very non-professional way of doing 3D animation. Sounds pretty awkward. I need your guidance. By the way, can I use those assets I bought from Daz to make movies? Thanks a million!!! 

Alan M
Alan_M
Alan_M
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sorry missed that last question,

Yes you can use your Daz assets.  The Daz license agreement allows for the rendered movies that you make to be your copyright or IP.  What you cannot do is sell on the actual 3D asset or model.  That is illegal.  But the whole point of the Daz store and the iClone market place is to provide content that you can create you own movies with, in other words the final 2D image.  Although you can make a Stereo film also that is not 3D in the sense that I mentioned earlier.  It is this movie that is your intellectual property, so you can do what you want with it, sell it etc etc.  Keep in mind that your movie images may be your own copyright but if you slap on some known commercial music or sound track then that is not OK.  YouTube will for example take down movies with copyrighted sound tracks.  If you want music then you need to make your own or license library music.  You can also get completely free music online too.  

RagingKylo (6/9/2016)[hr By the way, can I use those assets I bought from Daz to make movies? Thanks a million!!! 

Alan M
RagingKylo
RagingKylo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wow!! I'd like to say, you just helped me save $99 and I'll put that to good use for some turely efficient contents or plugins. I'll stick with iClone's native features and not touch Indigo. Would you recommend some iClone contents/plugins really worth the money? What I've got by now is Professional Outfits Cloth Base and it's not that fancy. I would have followed your shopping guide if you joined the forum earlier. 
RagingKylo
RagingKylo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't like to use movie soundtracks, I always use Pro Scores bought from Video Copilot. Because of you now I'm an amateur "film director" and can't wait to render my first short film. So exciting!! Can't thank you enough!

Reading This Topic