For Your Own Good

Posted By GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Dear iCloners,

For your own good, I encourage your to vote for this request:
Open iClone to User Customization Through Scripting and SDK

"Why for my own good ?" you might ask. "I don't script, I don't code, this is too technical for me,.." you might think.

Well, by voting for this request understand it is like voting for "I need more peoples helping me on my own projects". It means more requests you may have may be answered/implemented by other users instead for you to wait for Reallusion to do so.

iClone already has a strong "assets" community, now iClone needs a strong "features" community as well.

A lot of requests already posted in the FeedBack Tracker could be already implemented if we had scripting/sdk available in iClone.

Think about it.

Cheers,
Guy.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
All 10 votes if I could.
I'm a (quality) add-on utility + plugin junkie
I spend multiple times more on software gadgets than my mobilephone hardware parts
Download/ bought almost every movie-making power utilities I can find for Daz/ Poser/ Carrara
Because I'm a "one man indie"
The smaller you are as a CG movie making unit
The more utilities and help from freelance coders you need
on that alone Scripting opening is vital to the typical iCloner.

The big picture is
There are so many unmet wishes in the wish list
Everyday the Feedback Tracker is growing and growing
into a mountain of minor wants and fundamental needs
Enabling user customization of Scripting and SDK will help address the workload
- and even add to RL's coffers!

I do understand the challenge of managing third party wares
esp in a tool with many novice
That said
with VR and Alembic, iClone is ready to fly, to truly GO PRO
Perhaps
have an experimental stage, invite only qualified users
a new category of Reallusion Certified Co-developers?
The scripted products could be labelled Add-ons, or iApps, or iToolkits...
Just thinking aloud...

I look forward to a new categories with access from RL homepage:
3D Animation > Add-ons
Products > Add-ons (after Products > Solutions)
Like Unity style utilities and resources page
or Lightwave Newtek-sanctioned plugins page

I look forward to misc scripted freebies spurring growth of iClone base
and improve the quality of community with MORE FREQUENT news of Things to Get Excited About with iClone

and Grabiller, thanks for making this suggestion
(and a belated thanks to your Marketplace freebie) Smile

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

@Bellatrix
Thanks for your feedback and support. I like the "iApp" or "iTool" idea : )

In fact there are indeed two major types of possible customizations:
1) "Features" and enhancements that could be attached to an Avatar, a Prop, etc..for animation, rendering, viewports (custom gizmos, etc..),..
2) "Tools" to ease the production of projects, batch tools, little utilities to filter things in the scene, to configure multiple rendering "passes", even to build scenes entirely, custom menus and panels, etc..

There is also a third type that could be added:
3) "Expressions", in parameters, the ability to reference other parameters (to create "links" between parameters), to drive several parameters with one generic "slider" for instance, to use random "noise" for certain parameters, etc... This would be the entry door for rigging capabilities.

--

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Voted for this also

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
I support this as well. There's a request for LUA scripting (432), but this request is phrased more general and thus to be preferred.

Similar requests have been around for a long time in various shapes and forms, and at one time alluded to as happening (in the form of LUA scripting including an SDK as I recall), so it's good to see this being brought up again with a broader POV.

It would be interesting to gather ideas from those who see the possibilities of what they would use it for (not worrying about how it would be done). To me this would be a way to create scripted animations. One example is my long-time wish to be able to generate gesture animations based on linguistic analysis of the dialog (I'm always struggling to get that right).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Had to free up a vote as I had used them all up. Voted!
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

duplicate deleted

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

grabiller (5/26/2016)

In fact there are indeed two major types of possible customizations:
1) "Features" and enhancements that could be attached to an Avatar, a Prop, etc..for animation, rendering, viewports (custom gizmos, etc..)

In gamerspeak, iMod. Smile

Anything with minor MODification of existing features...
Most of the minor requests, like breathing, collision refinement could be resolved with this.
Also most likely candidates as FREEBIES! w00tHeheTongue

2) "Tools" to ease the production of projects, batch tools, little utilities to filter things in the scene, to configure multiple rendering "passes", even to build scenes entirely, custom menus and panels, etc..

iTool fits...I think.
My Quick Access custom buttons request falls under this category.

There is also a third type that could be added:
3) "Expressions", in parameters, the ability to reference other parameters (to create "links" between parameters), to drive several parameters with one generic "slider" for instance, to use random "noise" for certain parameters, etc... This would be the entry door for rigging capabilities.

Sounds like ERC? Which in most cases is considered a top level iAdd-on?

Yes the feverish request for a Face Rig with Flex Morph belong under this category
(Avatar Toolkit is under-developed as a character ERC solution, another wasted opp for RL)

iAddons examples I can think of:
iSpawn, iScatter...

And then, there's the iClone Plugins category, but with new 3rd party 'power co-dev'
iHairStylist.... iHomeBaker (like The Sims bake-a-building)
This will be...iApp. To differentiate from in-house Plugins?

Custom Script opening, is like the Mother of Dragons
for those looking to grow lots of baby dragons! BigGrin

The possibilities that it opens up....imagine... Smile

Edited
8 Years Ago by Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (5/26/2016)[/b]

It would be interesting to gather ideas from those who see the possibilities of what they would use it for (not worrying about how it would be done).

Agree on the whole...
Discussing the various category of Scripts general is totally valid here I reckon
to inform those new to the concept of CG addon/plugin "subculture" or cottage industry
to also brainstorm how the scripting categories fit into the narrower iClone derivative products context
but yes virtues of pythons vs C/C++ indepth debate deserve own dedicated thread indeed.

Interested to hear other's ideas - from coders or future script patrons! Smile
Carry on...

p/s RL forum admin pls don't move this to wish list this discussion is 'top level iclone major scale' and too broad to fit there thank you for being so progressive

Edited
8 Years Ago by Bellatrix
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks guys for your support.

What puzzles me is that this forum is supposed to have 1,123,725 members and that the highest votes count in the FeedBack Tracker is 36 !?

I'm having hard time to explain this to myself : p

--

Reading This Topic