Profile Picture

How to attach facial hair to a characters face for realistic movements?

Posted By Snarp Farkle 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How to attach facial hair to a characters face for realistic...

Author
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Delerna is right, displacement doesn't work well on the face. I've messed with the offsets etc and nothing gets good results for me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
The displacement cannot cross UV lines, or you get breaks. It is a PITA to do right close to the lips. We are a little bit stuck either way. Sad
Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
CtrlZ
CtrlZ
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have been trying to do the same thing with some of my Daz contents lol hair seems to work fine though! 

By the way I want to thank all of you for the great info that I have obtained from scouring the forum for the last 2 months!
Especially you Rampa!

Home built liquid cooled AMD Ryzen 7 1800X cpu (8 core 16 thread) 4.0GHz,  rtx 3090, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, 64 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) 6 TB HD's 4K monitor.

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Well, I have my first try, it definitely works and with careful texturing and morphing of the mesh, I think it looks ok, I'll definitely improve this test, and it is already way better than not handling visemes. I loaded the stache texture in the Blend channel, please tell me if there is a better way. Anyhow, I'm satisfied, and hopefully a new hair system will come sooner or later in a 7 version or plugin. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e6e111d6-8914-419a-8a20-c54f.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Edited
8 Years Ago by eternityblue
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I've been busy with other things but am now back with a better machine and ready to figure this facial hair workaround until RL can give us more lip and facial bones to use.  I would like to see at least three upper lip bones that line up like a horseshoe around the mouth to attache mustache parts to.  I can live with the way that beards move with the chin but not being able to have a mustache move with the top lip is getting very frustrating. 

My first attempt this year was using the "Bone Facial Experiment" by  vidi and attaching the mustache to the upper lip bone, yes I said "upper Lip Bone"and moving it to line up with my CC character's face, it worked pretty well except when trying to use an idle motion, no matter how hard I tried the two characters just wouldn't stay in sync.  Unless someone can find a way to add a lip bone to a CC character this just isn't going to work for anything but a closeup quick shot where the character doesn't move.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7aa2bafe-106c-4037-a05f-1209.png

My next attempt was using the "Toon Maker 2 Accessories Beard - Coronel" which isn't a beard but a spring mustache.  After experimenting with different facial bones to attach it to and playing around with the spring settings I settled on the CC_Base_Tongue01.  My attempts at changing the textures weren't so successful but it seems I'm getting closer to a workaround that will suffice. 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9851280f-87c4-4eec-b7bb-ed4e.png

I actually like the looks of the Bone Facial Experiment test more but not so savy with adding bones, I don't care if I can't use the character in CC anymore if I change something so if anyone has an idea to share on adding bones I'm listening. Wink

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Snarp Farkle

Reading This Topic