Animating with iClone on a tablet?

Posted By Dragonskunk 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
What is the poorest graphics performing tablet I can buy to use iClone on? As in, built in graphics? I want something max 10inch screen small. I don't want to lug around a heavy gaming laptop. 
Just to animate characters, while hiding parts of a scene that use gravity, cloth, water. 
Small light portable iClone?
Any suggestion?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Dragonskunk (5/7/2016)
What is the poorest graphics performing tablet I can buy to use iClone on? As in, built in graphics? I want something max 10inch screen small. I don't want to lug around a heavy gaming laptop. 
Just to animate characters, while hiding parts of a scene that use gravity, cloth, water. 
Small light portable iClone?
Any suggestion?

Unfortunately iClone 6 requires an Nvidia or AMD graphics card, and generally Windows tablets only use Intel graphics.

You may be able to get iClone 6 to run in DirectX 9 mode on something like A Surface Pro 4 but you will need to keep your scenes fairly small. iClone also doesn't offer full support for touch screens so you will likely to need to use a mouse most of the time. Overall you will be better off finding a small laptop that has an Nvidia or AMD graphics card inside and use that. Many laptops these days are fitted with an Nvidia GTX 960 which should give good results with iClone 6, especially if it has 4GB of video ram.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

I have a Samsung Tablet and could just barely run iClone 5...it would open but if I wanted to do more than one character or prop, it would take a very long time to process the command OR would freeze. I have looked at a Surface Pro 4 with a Nvidia card and 16 gb ram.  

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Unfortunately iClone 6 requires an Nvidia or AMD graphics card, and generally Windows tablets only use Intel graphics.

You may be able to get iClone 6 to run in DirectX 9 mode on something like A Surface Pro 4 but you will need to keep your scenes fairly small. iClone also doesn't offer full support for touch screens so you will likely to need to use a mouse most of the time. Overall you will be better off finding a small laptop that has an Nvidia or AMD graphics card inside and use that. Many laptops these days are fitted with an Nvidia GTX 960 which should give good results with iClone 6, especially if it has 4GB of video ram.

I read that you can max out the HD 520 from 750 MHz to 1000 MHz which I read makes quite a difference.
Also, the goal is to let the home PC do the heavy lifting and do the effects and rendering while the lightweight work can be done on the laptop and maybe if it can handle a type of mocap device, either 2 Xbox or Perception Neuron, maybe. 

I should bring an iClone trail on a USB key and install on demos to see which works at all, and how well.
The Surface Pro is twice the price as the Dell Inspiron with the same specs and both have Intel HD Graphics 520, and another factor Surface you need to buy a keyboard separate, a pricey one at that.

So this one looks very interesting:

Edited
8 Years Ago by Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

On a Surface pro 4 in the sotre I installed iClone, but it must have a card type detection, so how do I make iClone ignore that?
All it did was redirect to the reallusion system requirement page.

Then I found this: http://3d-analyze.softwareandgames.com/
and this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/119073/nvidia-cuda-emulator-for-every-pc

Edited
8 Years Ago by Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

OK! No more fooling around: I just bough this:
It was the smallest laptop I could get (14inch screen) with Nvidia dedicated graphics. The 13 inch Alienware was the other choice I had but it was 50% more expensive.
I got 14 days to return it to the local store if I find out it's a lemon. Delivered as none in stock. I guess it's the end of the line for this model as the only color left is the brown one, nobody wants a brown laptop. Me, I don't care.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X456UJ/

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Dragonskunk (5/8/2016)
OK! No more fooling around: I just bough this:
It was the smallest laptop I could get (14inch screen) with Nvidia dedicated graphics. The 13 inch Alienware was the other choice I had but it was 50% more expensive.
I got 14 days to return it to the local store if I find out it's a lemon. Delivered as none in stock. I guess it's the end of the line for this model as the only color left is the brown one, nobody wants a brown laptop. Me, I don't care.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X456UJ/

Looks a nice little laptop. I see this one has an Nvidia 940M. Do let us know how this performs with iClone 6. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Holden7
Holden7
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)Senior Member (396 reputation)

[/quote]

Looks a nice little laptop. I see this one has an Nvidia 940M. Do let us know how this performs with iClone 6. Smile
[/quote]

I'd be keen to know how you make out with the ASUS. My Lenovo laptop has a 2gb vram 940M video card and though I've tried all manner of configurations in the Nvidia settings, I can only run in DirectX 9 mode. My laptop is:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400

Please post your experience, thanks!
ethorson1
ethorson1
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)Veteran Member (744 reputation)

I have a Surface Pro 4 and I can run anything that my homebuilt tower runs (it has a NVidia GTX770) video card.that list includes ZBrush, Autodesk Maya and MotionBuilder and Unity3d also Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe AfterEffects.  The one software that I cannot run is IClone6.  The explanations from IClone Technical support is, as usual, automated and uninformative.  I ran DxDiag.exe and the graphics card (Intel) supports DirectX 12.  I have been able to get IClone6 to run by setting the graphics mode to 9.  Since video hogs like Adobe Premier and Adobe AfterEffects run on the Surface, I must conclude that there is something really odd about IClone6.  I can even do animations in ZBrush with over 1.5 million polygons on models and that really is amazing.  So what is going on with IClone?
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
ethorson1 (5/13/2016)
I have a Surface Pro 4 and I can run anything that my homebuilt tower runs ...  The one software that I cannot run is IClone6.  ...   I must conclude that there is something really odd about IClone6.  ...  So what is going on with IClone?

Here's my clue that I've reported before, and it's on my To Do list for entering in Feedback Tracker:

1) Open a GPU monitor, such a GPU-Z.  (That's "G" for "graphics".)
2) Launch iClone and open a project.
3) GPU utilization will be well above zero, even when you press "Stop" and no animation is happening.
4) Minimize the iClone window, GPU utilization goes to zero.
5) Expand (open) the iClone window again (without pressing Play), GPU utilization pops up again.

Very strange.  Why is iClone doing a lot of graphics calls when nothing is happening?  (A debug routine not turned off?)
Something seems fundamentally wrong, and I suspect it could even be an easy fix.

Moreover, are these same "extra calls" happening while rendering?  I wonder if fixing this odd behavior would magically improve our rendering times by eliminated phantom graphics calls.  Of course I have no idea, but it seems plausible, and certainly work a look.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic