Feedback Tracker and the Wishful Features Forum :

Posted By pumeco 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Are we supposed to use only the Feedback Tracker now for our Wishful Features stuff, the stuff we would normally post here?
Just a heads-up to let you know, that while Feedback Tracker will have a positive effect on getting bugs sorted, it's not so suited to requests and willl have a counter-productive effect for various obvious reasons.

Would have been much better to restrict Feedback Tracker strictly to bugs.

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I totally disagree. I think Feedback tracker is headed in the right direction by combining both feature/release tracking and bug tracking. Change is always uncomfortable - but once people get used to the feedback tracker (and its user interface gets better)  we will be wondering how we existed without it.

Urging RL to check other feedback trackers e.g. JIRA and see if they can emulate the good/best usability & workflow features of such tools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems
Edited
8 Years Ago by pmaina
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Either way I'm just curious as to whether this section of the forum is officially extinct now, as in can we choose to post here instead if that's what we prefer, that sort of thing.

The Feedback Tracker is a great idea, for bugs, but the reasons it will be no good for feature requests are as follows :
- It's not part of the forum, which puts it at a disadvantage for starters cause less people will see the requests.
- Once in the feedback Tracker, it's not as easy to see an overview of requests and spot something we might want to support.

I haven't kept up with feature requests on there cause I can't be bothered, and I think the same will be true for casual viewers.
That issue does not exist when it's readily here on the forum to just click on like any other thread.

So in that respect, it's backward and counterproductive (although I agree it is ideal and much better for bug tracking).

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

What am hearing from your comment is that the user interface is not there yet. I agree. Nevertheless the feedback tracker is still in Beta mode so we need to give RL some quality feedback on how to improve it.

1. They need to add a "dashboard" landing page that gives an overview of what is going on.
2. Create better "report views"
3. Enhance the workflows & basically get rid of the "forum look"
4. Effect transition management to move user requests to the Tracker and out of the forum (am guessing after the beta is fine tuned).

The important thing is they are on the right track with the concept & now its just a matter of time!

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The problem with the wishful features track has always been that except for a thank you from Peter there was no real way of knowing what happened with feature requests. Also, some requests just got repeated because of that. Bug-tracking is useful but a more rational approach to feature requests is more fulfilling.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

pumeco (4/24/2016)

There's two additional threads on here requesting keyframed morphs, none of which are anywhere near as clean, logical, or powerful as the request I already made (and even demonstrated with graphics).

That can (and should be) be addressed by improving the feedback tracer such that it provides a way for users to suggest merging similar requests (or grouping them together for insight on different perspectives on the same issue/feature request) and adding up their votes. The UI is a long way off but am confident RL will get us there.

By the way, your feature request is NOT in the feedback tracker. How do you expect to get votes for something that doesn't exist? Can you post the link please in case I missed it?
Edited
8 Years Ago by pmaina
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@pmaina
I was referring to threads already posted here on the forum.  I haven't really bothered with the Feedback Tracker because the method of shaping a program that way is severely flawed.

I think I only used one vote so far (on Will's request), and even that was only because I happened to be logged-in due to that post about Kai.  If I hadn't been logged-in, I wouldn't even have bothered with that one, in fact I might as well remove it cause I won't be using the rest anyway.  I've had a quick look at the place, and it's already clear to me that two of the major missing features are already doing well in votes, that's good news.  But the other two are none existent.  I could post the request in the Feedback Tracker but that would only hurt any chance the request has of gaining votes, cause I've noticed an increalingly childish spite against voting for requests I make.  It's better someone else posts them, just in case Reallusion actually intend sticking to this nonsense.  If you want a recent example of why these methods are flawed, take a look ar Poser 11.  For years that forum has been hammered with people complaining about the incredibly dated animation tools.  In fact it's been going on for so long, most Poser users have said (literally) "F**ck it" - and have long since disappeared and taken-up other animation tools.

So anyway, they decide to run a survey to get an idea of what the users want, then, they release Poser 11.  The outcome was that Poser 11 had no new animation tools whatsoever, not even upgrades to the current stuff.  The reason that happened is because the survey painted a false picture of what the program needs.  The only reason animation improvements never got enough votes is because the people who would have voted for those things, are already long gone, they gave up long ago because of how far behind the program is for animation work.  To call it cluncky and antique would be an understatement, they're still looking at a tiny wirefreame figure that's been there since. I believe, Poser 3 for crying out loud.

Apparently that passes as motion design for Poser 11 in the year 2016.

So let's see now :
- Poser ALREADY HAD one of the best raytracers I've seen, it even had a way to link to one of the best renderers available (Luxrender).
- Poser DEPSERATELY LACKS modern animation tools.

That means 'yet another' renderer should have been low-priority, and the animation tools should have been high-priority.

Results of the survey were as follows :

- Poser 11 added a THIRD renderer option to Poser.
- Poser 11 completely disregarded it's biggest failing (animation).

These companies really do need to get a grip of themselves and understand what their programs actually need.  What the program actually needs, and what the (for the most part) uneducated customer thinks it needs are two completely different things.  Reallusion face a very good chance of falling prey to that same problem if they intend to develop iClone based strictly on the amount of votes a request gets Exclamation

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I hear you. I don't think it will happen for iClone because RL is listening to us.

Proof: If you filter the feedback tracker by "Assigned"  you will see that work has already started on improving animations. So they are not concentrating entirely on yet another render engine.

Further you will notice that votes don't seem to be the only criteria for RL. Some of the assigned suggestions (not bugs) have low votes (e.g. just 6 votes for one).  So I wouldn't get too hung up on votes.

http://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Product/iclone-6?Status=4

What I really like about the FT is that it breaks down the opaque wall that existed between users and developers. Lets give the new system a chance. 

pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

pmaina (4/27/2016)
So they are not concentrating entirely on yet another render engine.

I was referring to the Poser example I was giving, not Reallusion.

dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Why are no comments from RL staff in the Feedback Tracker?

My YouTube channel.

Reading This Topic