Profile Picture

Water Inside of Car Prop

Posted By gravity_films 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gravity_films
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hi,

I'm fairly knew to iClone. I'm attempting to animate a little scene where a car drives through some water 'a river' with my characters in it. The problem is that the water is in the car, which i don't want. Anything I can do to prevent the water from being in the car?

Thanks
SJ
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Using the "water" that is part of iClone... No.

But a combination of cheating ("special effects") might accomplish it.

a) The normal iClone water for exterior shots.  As long as the camera angle is low enough, you won't see the water that's inside the car.

b) No water at all, for "reaction shots" of your characters, such as close-ups of their faces when they scream in terror.  Or leave the water in the car, as long as the camera angle is such that you don't see the water.  Remember, if the camera doesn't see it, it doesn't exist.

c) A custom prop that might not look quite as good as the "water" but might be good enough to help with the illusion.  For example, a plane (or large thin "floor") with a water texture on it, you can even animate the texture with a video of waves, and use an OPACITY map to "cut a hole" in the prop where the car is.  Playing around with it you might get something that works for some of those 1-second clips that are common in action scenes.  This is one of those things that could be as simple or as complex as you want.  You could even animate the opacity map (I'm pretty sure) so the "hole where the car is) moves with the car, and you could find a way to add some splashing "particle effects" or even find a way to animate a wake if you're super ambitious.  That's all up to you, but I'd start small and do only as much as required, unless you enjoy challenging yourself.

d) Edit the pieces together, and the audience will see it as a single scene.  Many "Hollywood" movies use a variety of effects for a single scene.

Share some work-in-progress pictures, and more skilled people than I can help you refine it.

Good luck.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
8 Years Ago by justaviking
gravity_films
gravity_films
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)Senior Member (260 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hi Justaviking
Thanks so much for the tips. I should be able to get away with it using some of those tricks.
Cheers

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

do two renders
one without water just car and render an alpha channel one and use in image layer

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Floating via physics might be cool, but since that can be simulated simply by moving the car like a prop, the more immediate problem is keeping the water out of the car.

That's also a problem when you put a boat or canoe into your iClone "water" scene.  It looks like you better start bailing!

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
8 Years Ago by justaviking
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I like Wendy's green screen solution as simple and effective but the easiest answer is just adjust the height of the car and your camera angles appropriately.  Movie magic!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thebiz.movies (4/7/2016)
I like Wendy's green screen solution as simple and effective but the easiest answer is just adjust the height of the car and your camera angles appropriately.  Movie magic!

Agreed.

The principle is still the same... select a technique that gives the correct visual result.  It's good to have a large toolkit from which to choose.  Opacity maps, camera angles, physics, green screens, lighting... magic.  Smile

Reading This Topic