TimeLine Edit Enhancement

Posted By R2 Studio 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Here's my suggestions:

It would be nice to be able to copy and paste material settings from one object to another.  I have numerous furniture items in a house which are individual objects and have multiple textures, but all of them use the same exact timeline material settings changes.  So if I decide I want opacity to fade a little longer on all objects, I have to go in and individually create the keys and while it's okay for 1-20 objects, I'm talking as many as 80, each with 4 or more textures.  It's not just opacity changing: I'm also fading in the glow and specular and self illumination.  I can save an object and it retains those keyframes, but again if I have 80 objects with 4 textures each that's 320 keys that have be set if I make a change.  Yes, I can slide the dope keys in a multi-select, but if I choose to individually change the value of something such as specular value that's 120 changes needed... it would be nice to be able to copy and paste keys from one object to another.

On motion clip export: having to drag a selection above what you want to export is okay, but why can't we select / multiselect the motion clip and then right click and tell it to export the imotion?

On path editing: it would be nice to be able to key in the x,y,z coordinates of a node-- sometimes I like to produce a secondary camera to take off from the position of the first camera and having to zoom in super close to line the path up so the cameras are in the exact same location is time consuming, when all I would have to do is get the x,y,z of the main camera and then key those coordinates into the starting node of the motion path for the second camera... it would also be nice to be able to select a node and then frame into it from front, back, left, right, or up.... instead you get a birds eye far away view and you have to zoom into it manually.

On objects / avatars following a path: I use paths only when I absolutely have to in animating the walking / running motions of Avatars because foot slippage is too finicky and it's just easier to let the motion play itself out with out a path.  If I have to use a path, to minimize foot slippage, I let the character walk out the motion and then create the path with a similar distance vector and then spend an hour tweeking it to minimize foot slippage.  All I want to do is import an FBX motion and have them follow a path, but use their own movement pacing that is built into the motion-- there is ZERO foot slippage, but the only way to get it to follow a path is to specify a starting % and and and ending % and that causes FOOT SLIPPAGE.  As a result, I avoid using paths whenever I can... Why can't we assign an avatar to a path and have it follow it without any idea of it's end % and just let it act out the root motion and follow the path....  As it is, an Avatar with an root based motion on a path is a NO GO.  So I use a secondary avatar to endlessly line up and capture clips and then put them in manually, creating what could be a path-- but it is not.  Follow path with no end % is what I think we should be able to have.

Finally, on motion clip editing: why can't we override or reposition the location of the root motion?  If I go through my workflow of importing FBX motions from 3rd parties, I often have to recompose the clip using collect clip after lining up a "copy" of the avatar animating the clip in some obscure angle which would then match the root rotation settings of the actual avatar I am working with.... if I can can just say "make the z value 180" or whatever or use a widget to reposition and realign the root that would be very useful.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
Hi R2,

If your character has a Persona with a move command in it, then they can walk along a path without being "attached" to it.

Load a character.
Load a Persona onto that character.
Create a path.
Right-click on your character and select "Move/x (x being the command).
Click on any point of the path.

Your character will walk, or run if you selected it, to the nearest end of the path, and then walk along it. No "Pick Path" needed! Wink
R2 Studio
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

How can I create a persona or import an FBX motion into an existing one?  I am using Trubones motion library, combining the moves using MotionBuilder, then importing them as .imotion files into Iclone.

Where do I get personas?  They are lua scrips or aml scripts.  Please tell me.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
Open one of the existing AML (Persona) files with a text editor. You will see the settings for the various commands. The file paths are down towards the bottom.

You might want the custom one I made a while back. It has some turn performs (90 degree, 180 degrees) as well. The AML has a setting so the root aligns with the pelvis on rotation, which I enabled for the turn motions. This helps for aligning the next motion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3nsNVGroEz6cFp2ODQxX1hnUkE/view?usp=sharing

Put the folder full of motions into your template motion folder. Put the AML anywhere you want (the Persona folder is best).

To use it, load the Persona (Locomotion) onto your character, and r-click to select a command. There are several walks and several performs. There is intentionally no "walk end" because it works better to just add the perform "stand ready", or segue right into your following motion. If the walk speed does not look right for your character, edit the speed settings in your text editor and save the AML under a new name.

Brief tutorial I made for it.

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
R2 Studio
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Great... thanks!

Reading This Topic