How to create clothes for toon generations

Posted By Akcel 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Akcel
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago

Hello,

I just searched the forum but I have not found or I did not understand...

My question is this : I would buy toons characters (toon generations) but I would like to create
my own clothes because I can not find what I wish the content store or market place.

1) Is it complicated?
2) What software is needed (I have just iClone 6 Standard Version)
3) Is there already an existing tutorial on the subject in order not to duplicate ?

Thank you very much for your help

will2power71
will2power71
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Well I would have to say that you've stepped on kind of a landmine. Well actually not a landmine, but it could be if you're not ready to get your feet wet. Toon Generations are a delightful set of models. They exist both here in Iclone and in another program called DAZ Studio. Creating clothing for them is not for the faint of heart --by what I mean to say is that if you want to make custom stuff for them, you're going to have to get ready to step out of your comfort zone. You're basically going to need a  program to model the program and a program to develop the rigging for the clothing so that it follows the bones of the figure when you animate it. Often times, these are the same program, but depending on your budget, level of skill and resources --more than one way of doing this can be available to you. 

Much of the documentation on developing clothing for a figure is based in 3DS Max when it comes to Iclone. In fact, there's an Iclone figure template already available in Max for you to create figures. However, 3DS Max is an expensive program and you're more than likely not going to have access to it. But that's not the only way that you can achieve your goal. If you purchase the figure set from DAZ, then it becomes much easier for you to develop clothing for the models. That's because DAZ Studio is free, and their rigging tools allow you to quickly rig clothing to any of their figures with the transfer utility. They even provide a developer kit for those very figures. If you go this route, then you will need 3dxchange in order to import the figures into Iclone after you've developed the clothing, and you'll need a modeling tool like Blender, Silo, or Hexagon to develop the initial geometry to rig in DAZ studio. Blender is free, Hexagon costs 19.95 and Silo costs $79 on Steam. I will not say which modeling program to use other than to give you some suggestions because people's personal preferences differ. I own those three programs but I'm most comfortable working in Silo. 

This is basically going to depend on how comfortable you are with rigging and modeling and how much time you're willing to put into it. 
Akcel
Akcel
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago

Thank you for this very detailed answer.

I have read the links regarding 3D software like Hexagon and I admit that sounds pretty complicated and time consuming and I thank you more for enlightening me on this.

So I think seeing things differently : Buy DAZ content then adapt through 3DXchange. I also begin my testing, I bought (on the marketplace RL) character (toon generations) and I imported in 3DXchange. I managed to strip the character but I wonder how to dress with the content of DAZ ? I think it is possible, rest assured I am not wrong?

Thank you very much

Oh... I almost forgot, I bought the toon of this category because the DAZ costumes interests me is originally developed for this character. I think (mistakenly perhaps) that it may be less difficult.

Reading This Topic