Hope this can help some crashes.

Posted By rgreenidge 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
rgreenidge
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The last time I used iClone, and I didn't update to 6.4 quick fix, due to some of the problems people had on here. Well it worked all night without crashing. Before that it started crashing all over the of the place a 2 weeks ago, sometimes while just playing with the content menu etc. I thought the new video driver solved my problem, then a few days later I was crashing. What I did next was to defrag my iClone hard drive, it was up there in %. Then I went in the computer control panel etc., updated and really increased my virtual memory size on all the drives I use for the virtual memory. The iClone drive was the only drive I had to defrag, and for myself it's the only drive other than my backup where I'm constantly adding, deleting, overwriting files, where then the info that should be together ends up all the drive. Since the defrag, and virtual memory changes, I've had no crashes the whole last night I worked on iClone, but I'm still working with a 800x450 rendering screen, while working on my projects before I change to 1920x1080 and making the video files from them (PNG) and separate audio files. I don't use any virtual memory space on my iClone hard drive, I keep it separated. I let 3 other drives handle the virtual memory. You can set the virtual drive memory to automatic, but I prefer to do it manually because I like using a bigger fixed size. I would at least recommend a minimum of two drives, one for your Windows System (C) and your virtual memory and one drive just for iClone. I'm not a fan of SSD drives, because the more you write to it, the more it wears out. Yes it's fast, and probably faster to end up in the garbage? When they solve that problem, give me more $torage, I'll probably buy one. There was a time I didn't trust hard drives.   

Home built; ASRock X570 Pro 4, AMD Ryzen 9-5950X CPU, AMD RADEON RX6900XT, 16GB video card, 131GB of RAM.

Edited
8 Years Ago by rgreenidge
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
a) Thanks for the excellent report and great information.

b) About SSDs "wearing out," I confess that concerned me at first too, but as I read more I concluded it's not really a problem.  Unless you write to your disk massive, and I mean *massive* amounts of data every day, you'll upgrade your SDD for other reasons before it wears out.  For example, five years from now you'll maybe want to update to a 2TB SSD because it will be affordable at that time.  Also, fortunately, when they do "wear out" what you lose is the ability to write new data, but you can still read them, so you don't lose data.  But seriously, you need to be WRITING a terabyte of data every day before you start having to worry about it, and even then, just shop carefully.  I strongly recommend you don't let that concern hold you back from a great upgrade to your system.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I have a SSD USB drive that has been working fine for 7 years, and I've added 3 more 1-terabyte SSD's, I use one for Reallusion and DAZ files, one for downloads and the other for storage, I do have a 600mb external hard disk drive I use for backups and file sync for my system and custom folders. 

Until one fails on me I'm still a fan of the SSD drives Smile

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,

I have more than 10 years deep tech experience in NAND and NOR Flash and I can tell that, if you are afraid that a Flash memory wears out, then.... better to go back to the old analog camera films Wink
The Flash memory controller implements many mechanisms to balance the Flash sector usage (wear-levelling algos) and to avoid to use Flash sectors that are already too much stressed (bad block management), plus run-time data error correction (ECC algos), which are usually able to correct multiple bits per byte.
My PC embeds a Samsung EVO 500 SSD which uses Flash Multi-Level cell (more "risky" then the SSD with Single-Level cell!!! Hence, if you are concerned, then choose, e.g., the Samsung Pro, whcih is SLC) and after 1 year I had no problem at all yet.
I am also thinking about installing another (separated!!) SSD to be used for the temporary directories, which should further speed up the run-time execution....

Regards

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
8 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
rgreenidge
rgreenidge
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Thanks guys but I'll stick with my 10,000 RPM WD as my "C". Fast hard drives are not going to increase our rendering speed. I used to develop film and slides Roberto, but I was also one the first to buy a digital photo camera. They didn't even have a optical zooms yet. And one card crashed on me while I was down in Brazil, and I lost all those photos. Like I said, it took me a while to trust hard drives, and they were going for $600 for 40MB (IBM) when I first started building my computers. I used a lot of SDHC class 4 and 10 cards, for my HD videos since 2008 and maybe only 2 out of one hundred cards have failed when reading them, 1 while filming, so I now use 2 cards recording at the same time, instead of the continuous swap card mode. Anyway SSD hard drives are too small for me, and I've gotten so I don't want to pay over $200 for any hard drive. Yes I remember when a hard drive was about $1 a megabyte. And I was jumping up and down when I got a 250MB hard drive for $200. $600 to + $1000 processors were out there. The most I paid for anything I put in my computer was a 1X CD burner for $1000, and my brother gave me $500 for my birthday to buy it. $22 for every coaster we made. I'm going now to mess around to see if I don't crash after my last night a few days. Like Roberto, I'm not going to be happy unless I can put 100 avatars in a scene. I'm not going to use any of my CC characters in my big scenes, maybe in scenes that don't have much people.

Home built; ASRock X570 Pro 4, AMD Ryzen 9-5950X CPU, AMD RADEON RX6900XT, 16GB video card, 131GB of RAM.

rgreenidge
rgreenidge
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Roberto. Dealing in electronics since I was 8 in 1958, and designing things from tubes to the latest stuff out there. There are some things I don't trust and some manufacturers do make silicon products better than others, and I've designed IC chips myself. Somethings I never trust until I get my hands on it. Theory looks good on paper. I'll pass on the SSD until there are no more magnetic drives, or something new and better technology comes out. Maybe if I come out of retirement (not likely) I'll develop it. I finally wanted more memory for my iClone and DAW, and had to go back to Intel CPU's, I haven't used a Intel or Cyrix CPU's, since the AMD K5 around 1997, 20 years ago.   

Edited
8 Years Ago by rgreenidge
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
....so, considering the quantity and the advanced level of electronic that is put in modern vehicles, better to not use a car and go by bicycle BigGrin
Just kidding...
I can tell you that after 2 years, my Samsung EVO 850 still works pretty well.
Obviously, I try to minimize the dynamic data being written there (all "temp" directories are not on it and also the "My documents" folder is relocated outside).

Regards

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Reading This Topic