Profile Picture

Now that we have Fiber Hair and Beard - Is soft cloth physics possible?

Posted By warlord720 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Now that we have Fiber Hair and Beard - Is soft cloth physics...

Author
warlord720
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Has anyone tried to use physics on the fibermesh from zBrush? It's late here and I'm too tired to think about the weight map so wondering if anyone has tried it via softcloth? This character is 285k which works on my system so far. Hair and beard are separate items. Stylized via Character Creator-zBrush-3dXchange pipeline.

--------------------------------------------------
I LIVE to anymate, irritate and machinamate. Not necessarily in that order.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 38 minutes ago
I have. Well not with Fibermesh specifically, but the same idea.

I used this little jewel of a program to convert Poser fiber hair to poly-strips. It UVs each one identically, so it's really easy to apply physics. It's stand-alone. There is a Blender addon that does a similar thing with Blender fiber hair.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/27296

It worked reasonably well! The motion was beautiful, but getting the strands to lie down nicely was sometimes an issue. I think the trick is start with it all vertical and let it fall. Or kind of radial anyway, so that it is not passing through other strands from the get go. Looks like your dude's hair is set up that way. Wink It is important to set the the bending and stretching of the physics to zero. Otherwise the hair strips tend to stretch wider sometimes. 

I thought flat strips was a good idea, to keep the poly-count reasonable.
warlord720
warlord720
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)

The problem I've run into before is too many collisions... or so I would guess. Version 6 is certainly handling it though. Fibermesh is super easy to create in zBrush so that is a real plus. 

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 38 minutes ago
I found keeping it styled was a problem. If it's all just straight and falls with physics, it has no structure. If I stiffened it up, it wouldn't fall enough. So, to have it shape nicely to the head, and kind of stay out of the face, I ended up having the strands conform to the curve of the head a bit. This had the problem of the strands being passing through each other. I didn't have Poser to make my own "thinner" head of hair. I just downloaded an existing one from ShareCG.

Looking forward to seeing what your mesh will do. Smile
warlord720
warlord720
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

There are a lot more zBrush users in the iCloneverse now so I'm hoping someone will figure it out eventually. With zBrush styling tools making standard fiber hair in various styles should be easy without the physics. Just have to watch poly count. At least we are still moving forward!

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have done it using hair made by others
my own hairs have not gone as well

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
i found the math was too much for my video card on the strand hair with softcloth physics,  but rigging the hair with bones and putting springs on them worked out really well.  at least for an afro hehe Smile

Edited
8 Years Ago by planetstardragon
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
rampa (2/8/2016)
I have. Well not with Fibermesh specifically, but the same idea.

I used this little jewel of a program to convert Poser fiber hair to poly-strips. It UVs each one identically, so it's really easy to apply physics. It's stand-alone. There is a Blender addon that does a similar thing with Blender fiber hair.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/27296

It worked reasonably well! The motion was beautiful, but getting the strands to lie down nicely was sometimes an issue. I think the trick is start with it all vertical and let it fall. Or kind of radial anyway, so that it is not passing through other strands from the get go. Looks like your dude's hair is set up that way. Wink It is important to set the the bending and stretching of the physics to zero. Otherwise the hair strips tend to stretch wider sometimes. 

I thought flat strips was a good idea, to keep the poly-count reasonable.

you actually dont need to go through this now its a simple one button click

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/78cab7a6-e94f-4d19-8643-b46d.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/318953d7-b120-4383-8ef2-c1ec.png

just make the hair particles and whatever and then hit the convert button and its done, but I think that for real time this is still too hard for our purposes if we actually want our characters to move and stuff LOL.  On the other hand they are introducing a hair creator into the cc and its probably particle based so maybe if i watched poly count I could get something done that would not bring my pc to its knees.. i might give it a shot . Smile

edit: I also found this on a quick search no time now but I installed it quickly and it seems to work so basically make the hair and convert it and it should remain mapped we shall see Smile

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Objects/HairNet

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f311b76b-29af-44ea-a50c-6929.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
warlord720
warlord720
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I think that's right... watch the poly count and you might get away with it. Of all the fur, hair and fibers I've tried it seems that zBrush's fibermesh works the smoothest if you need an actual fiber look on hair population vs polycount.  Still a heavy mesh but at least iClone doesn't just disappear like it did in previous versions. Right now... ANY hair is welcome.

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I did a quick count of those strands it was 320 so maybe its possible .. I might play with this tonight its yet another thing to play with I guess Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Reading This Topic