Substance Painter to 3DXchange - Export

Posted By Alon Dan 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello All,
Since I'm still new to RL's world and experimenting in order to learn, I wonder if you can help me with some confusion,
So this is what I've done so far:

1 - I've created a character with Character Creator.
2 - Then, I've created a perfect size prop to fit his head modeled and UV (imported .FBX to Blender so I have the character as reference for perfect fit and size).
3 - In Blender, I've selected ONLY the prop I've modeled with UV Ready to texture as .FBX (7.4 Bin if that's the right choice?)
4 - Imported to Substance Painter, Made my textures... so far so good!

I'm aware that iClone is not yet PBR supported (which is going to be AMAZING whenever it will be).  but still, I found it very easy and fast to make my textures using Substance Painter but when it comes to Export and Import the textures I'm lost.
When exporting in Substance there are few presets, such as Unity 5 (standard), Unity 5 (PBR), Arnold, and more..
There is no preset for iClone so I just expoted the default one.

I got these texture maps :
- DefaultMaterial_Base_Color
- DefaultMaterial_Height
- DefaultMaterial_Metallic
- DefaultMaterial_Normal_DirectX
- DefaultMaterial_Roughness

My Confusion starts here:
I've imported the .FBX prop to 3DXchange and now it's time to import the texture maps!

The only thing I understand I can use are:  Color = Diffuse,  Normal = Bump (selecting as Normal Map of course) no opacity needed in this prop so I skip it, no Blend map as well... Metalic and Roughness = for PBR I guess so no use also, 
Do I need the Height Map? If so... where do I import it in 3DXchange... I think it's for terrain but I'm not sure so I'm asking here.
but did I miss anything to make it look better even before iClone current render? (without PBR I mean)
or Maybe do I need to Render using different preset from Substance Painter in order to get other Texture Maps?

I guess that in future release iClone's PBR it will be much simple because it will support the PBR maps but my question is how do I make the BEST from Substance Painter as none-PBR for the current iClone?

Sorry about my bad English and Thanks ahead for your patience with a noob like myself. Smile
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
@Dan,

Your English is fine.

For exporting to iClone, you need to create different output channels in Substance Designer.  You'll need Diffuse and Specular,  and then you'll probably want to add Bump (a.k.a. Normal), Displacement (a.k.a. Height),  and maybe Opacity.  That leaves the last three channels that iClone understands, which are Glow, Reflection, and Blend.

In SD, you assign the channels as shown in the picture below.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9bb5e4b-8796-4a30-aa7f-5c6b.jpg

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
8 Years Ago by justaviking
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
This helps

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/15
A gloss spec shader for painter

put it in this folder (note I am using the steam version and its installed to my D drive)
D:\steam_apps\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\shaders

Now if your model has more than 1 set of materials you will have all the relevant textures, open 3dXchange and load your model in, then its just a simple matter of loading the maps for each texture ID.
the spec map that is out put is all but useless but the Gloss map is used instead though you may need to tweak it in a image editor or just up/down the brightness and contrast with in Iclone.   

I am not 100% sure if you have to be a substance live user to access this file, but I think I got it before joining live.

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
Edited
8 Years Ago by bluemidget666
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Also I might add to get the best result from the spec map use a reflection map in the reflection box. It really does help make the object look more real even it you lower the strength very low.

Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Thanks a lot for helping in this guys!

I'm very new to SP and don't have much experience in it.
So I tried to follow bluemidget666's instructions first: I downloaded the shader, unzipped the .glsl to the right directory and launch SP again hopefully to see the pbr-spec-gloss material.

This shader names looks more familiar now but I'm still not sure if I should use the Glossiness map instead of the Specular (on the Specular placement in iClone which is obvious... I know), because where should I put the glossiness map if not there?

Another question: Height map = Displacement map, but should I use it as vector Displacement map or not?
I don't see any differences when I try both, but I do get a warning that it may cause problems... 
From what I understood from justaviking, there is no use for glossiness because only what iClone accept in her slots (iClone is a girl right?) Wink
Feel free to correct me and guide me you awesome people.. you!
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for your help guys!

EDIT:
Just used the Displacement map as Height (as it should be of course)... and enabled the 2-Sided... things looks MUCH BETTER!
Also, the Reflection map tip = Works like Magic, I did reduce it a bit but it makes it look much better as you said, THANKS! Smile

Edited
8 Years Ago by Alon Dan
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The reason I use the Gloss map instead of the Spec map is because when I created a prop that should have had a lot of spec detail I found the spec map had none, it was sheer black but the gloss map had all the detail.
This kind of indicated to me that Iclone or SP have them mixed up.

If you are producing spec maps that are working fine then it must have been something I did wrong. but if you are having issues with your spec try using the gloss map instead.
Hope that make sense.

Iclone itself has no gloss map settings just a slider for how glossy a item is.

Edited
8 Years Ago by bluemidget666
Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

bluemidget666 (2/7/2016)

The reason I use the Gloss map instead of the Spec map is because when I created a prop that should have had a lot of spec detail I found the spec map had none, it was sheer black but the gloss map had all the detail.
This kind of indicated to me that Iclone or SP have them mixed up.

If you are producing spec maps that are working fine then it must have been something I did wrong. but if you are having issues with your spec try using the gloss map instead.
Hope that make sense.

Iclone itself has no gloss map settings just a slider for how glossy a item is.

That's what I thought! because the spec is just one color, I should give it a shot with the glossy and reduce it or something maybe. THANKS!

I still have some issues with the displacement map (none-color height map), even if I tweak the settings and tessellation I don't get the perfect look it should have, the mesh is either broken a bit or exploding... so I have to reduce the disp details so much that it's almost not taking it's real affect in order to have my object in one piece.
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Have you tried dropping the multiplier right down.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Dan... Sounds like you're making great progress.  Smile

Blue... Thanks for all your help in here.  That's what I love best about the iClone family; people helping each other.

I've had reasonable success with getting from SD to iClone, but it's one of those things where if you don't do it regularly, it's so easy to forget the little "tricks of the trade" that, as usual, I fail to write down and I have to reverse engineer what I did last time.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Alon Dan
Alon Dan
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

bluemidget666 (2/7/2016)
Have you tried dropping the multiplier right down.

Yes, even as low as 0.5 but it's almost like I don't use Disp... so I just rather not using it at all which is looking bad compare to how it should look.  So far I never had any luck with Disp maps at all inside iClone while on other software the exact same maps looks perfect. I also messed with the rest of the options of course to try "save" the Disp look but it's not working for me. I guess I'm doing something wrong, or maybe there is a specific workflow to make Disp map looks as it should be in iClone.

Justaviking - I think I should try to give SD a chance because of the amazing options of animating the substance and other amazing controls that can be created, it looks scary but maybe it's not... 

Thanks justaviking and bluemidget666 for your awesome help, I'm still trying and exploring while learning new stuff and you are helping a lot. I appreciate it. Smile

Reading This Topic