Profile Picture

Linking guitar to avatar

Posted By padrie 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
padrie
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hello
How can I link a guitar to an avatar?
Thank you

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,

you almost answered yourself: to link a guitar to an avatar, choose the LINK option (you find it within the Modify controls of the prop, in this case the guitar). 
Then, you can decide to select the Chest as a bone to be linked (unless your avatar plays like Jeff Healey, in that case you might think to link to the Pelvis or Legs Cool  )
Finally, you can keep your LEFT hand (I assume your avatar is not Jimi Hendrix, so not right-handed) on the frets, by using the Reach Target feature: you can create some dummies for the various frets, you can easily move the left hand around the frets , maintaining the hand on the keyboard even though your guitar moves with the body (but consider that if you wish to spin the guitar 360 degrees, like ZZ Top, it would be better to remove the Reach target feature, unless you wanna see your arm wrapping around the guitar neck Tongue).
The same is valid for the RIGHT hand: if you create a dummy near the strumming area and use the Reach Target for it, then you can move the dummy to simulate the strumming and the hand will stay in teh right zone (again, I suppose your guitar avatar is not Van Halen... so no tapping Wink )
Last but not least, if your guitarist avatar is Al Di Meola, then I would be curious to see if iClone is able to catch the finger movements even at 60fps Hehe

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
8 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I purchased the "Rock Band Total Concert Collection" a while ago and use the animations in that as a starter point, I'm still working on getting it to look a little better, I haven't been able to mess with it for a while but was thinking of using the reach target function with it as well and when I can get back to it that's the direction I will go. 

Here's an example of what I've done so far, in this project I attached the guitar to the pelvis, I first tried the left hand but that didn't work so well, I'm thinking of maybe a dummy attached to the guitar and linked to the hip, she doesn't move around a lot so it works fine for now, You will see that I've still got some hand and arm movements to tend to but my real problem is getting a cord and guitar strap to work as a flexible object, it's far from perfect but it's a work in progress Smile

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Snarp Farkle
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 10 seconds ago
I actually did a tutorial on it. It's exactly what Roberto sums up in a few lines, but spread out over a long time. Wink

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

rampa (1/29/2016)
I actually did a tutorial on it. It's exactly what Roberto sums up in a few lines, but spread out over a long time. Wink

This is really good rampa, I will use your technique with my project, sure would be a time saver!

Somewhere I saw some hand animations for rhythm guitar playing and I will have to look into those if I can find them again, the ones in the "Rock Band Total Concert Collection" are for lead guitars and for some reason both hands want to move at the same time, your technique should solve that for me, Thanks for putting this up!

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Snarp Farkle
padrie
padrie
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)Senior Member (472 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Thank you all.It is clear to me
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

padrie (1/30/2016)
Thank you all.It is clear to me

We're all learning from each other padrie, so let us know how you ended up with your set up too, please and thank you. Smile
I have some local bands that want songs done with avatars and instruments coming up so any tips and tricks would be very useful to me.

Reading This Topic