Iray render petition [MOVED]

Posted By jarretttowe 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jarretttowe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi. Please sign your name if you would like to see iray added to iclone. Have a happy new year!
Edited
8 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week

This should be in the "Wishful features" section.

I support the request.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

+1 I like this Idea Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

pumeco
pumeco
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Not wanting to be a 'gate crasher' or anything, but why on earth would you want that?

I don't understand why people are supporting it either.  Reallusion gave you Indigo and got a lot of flak for it cause it's not realtime, so why on earth would they go ahead and give you another thing like that?
We need a good "realtime" engine built into the viewport, like Unreal Engine or Unity!

It's strange that you ask for it, and even stranger that people support the idea, lol, Indigo is already good at what iRay does!

Edited
9 Years Ago by pumeco
animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
pumeco (12/30/2015)

Not wanting to be a 'gate-grasher' or anything, but why on earth would you want that?

I don't understand why people are supporting it either.  Reallusion gave you Indigo and got a lot of flak for it cause it's not realtime, so why on earth would they go ahead and give you another thing like that?
We need a good "realtime" engine built into the viewport, like Unreal Engine or Unity!

It's strange that you ask for it, and even stranger that people support the idea, lol, Indigo is already good at what iRay does!

The plugin for Indigo as implemented by RL is completely useless for animation. It is not the render time that is the main problem, it is the fact that for each frame all data in a scene is duplicated without any form of data sharing. In addition, Indigo's memory management is bad. I had scene with trees that was no problem in iClone but that quickly filled my RAM once loaded into Indigo. As RL apparently has no interest in fixing these major problems that have been pointed out again and again, and as a suggestion was made (for what it is worth) by John Martin that the plugin architecture would allow for other renderers, people are obviously looking for alternatives. So I don't have any problem with banging on this issue for a bit.

I thought game engines always baked and compiled, so I don't know what the real real-time quality is. For me the preview in RL is OK, but I would like better quality at output.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

@Pumeco.

In my case, support for an Iray plug-in does not necessarily mean it's my top priority.

As for performance, Iray has great GPU-rendering support (at least on Nvidia cards with CUDA, since it's provided by Nvidia).  It also runs in a CPU mode.

Since we now have the architecture that supports 3rd-party renderers, it would be nice to see at least one or two more options besides Indigo.

But regardless of the renderer, Reallusion needs to modify their approach to how they export animations.  They should not export each frame as a full project.  They need to export "unchanged" items once.  That SHOULD be an easy thing to fix.  I've inspected Indigo files, and they're pretty straight forward, and the meshes and textures are simply referenced via their file path.  iClone knows about keyframes.  It should export a mesh once, and if it moves, just change the "location" parameter in the Indigo file.  I think that one change would improve the export speed (and disk space usage) by literally an order of magnitude for move videos.  I think that logic should apply to most rendering packages.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I support more efficient rendering algorithms that fully exploit hardware capabilities. 

One challenge that I have noted is that RL's 3rd party plugin implementations appear constrained by the need to balance learning curve (time to market) vs commercial imperatives.

I fear that switching to iRay will only replay this scenario and users will end up with yet another half baked (crappy) plug in that promises more in hype than it can deliver.

I think RL should consider the possibility of multiple 3rd party rendering engines (iClone 7 PIPELINE hint hint)- BUT - since they already have some expertise on Indigo, let them work on upgrading the plugin architecture to better utilize CPU and GPU architectures.

Given their knowledge of the tool's limitations they can also consider abandoning indigo if its cheaper to implement another more robust render engine.

The above logic applies equally to RL's mocap tool. Consider improving it or, even better, implement something that uses the cheaper PS3Eye cameras... ipisoft "proves" that it's possible to have both!

IMO, iClone should have a well thought out mix of real-time and non-realtime algorithms that complement each other for fast workflow (where it makes sense to have it) and robust performance (where users would be happy to give up real-time for better results).

Edited
9 Years Ago by pmaina
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Actually I too have no issue with indigo just as said file size and fact it takes so long to export only to find all the lighting is wrong and you can only change one frame!!!
That my biggest bug with it, one test frame takes long enough to export, most engines including indigo let you change the lighting and camera exposure but it does not do it for animation, the ability to stop and continue later is there but not that, put that in and I will se it more.
I use even use Octane render in DAZ in preference to iray which I do not find all that great other than at least for DAZ it is free, I would not pay for it.
I like Octane and was unhappy with the DAZ plugin till a new developer took over using only the Carrara one and the standalone, the latter imports animated Alembic abc files as well as obj and the ability to export scenes as that may be a better option, the main issue being the locked content esp Speedtrees so prob a plugin better but admit Octane rather pricey and so far again only Nvidia.
Implimenting the indigo set up better is still IMO the better choice or improving iClones inbuilt renderer admittedly at a time cost but nice to have the PBR option.

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Duplicate sorry

Edited
9 Years Ago by wendyluvscatz
brand468
brand468
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Unfortunately I was unhappy with my purchase of the Indigo because renderings takes too long, so I use it rarely.
I have also tested Daz Studio with iray, but in my opinion is also too slow for me to use it.
I use Octane render, which is really fast with Poser plugin and would rather wish support for this.
Octane

My computer: Intel i7-7700K 4.2Hhz 64Gb, Windows 10, GeForce GTX 1080 + GeForce GTX 1070, Phillips monitor 40" 4K  3840x2160 + 2x28" 

Reading This Topic