Profile Picture

Does iClone 6 work with DirectX 12? It keeps freezing...

Posted By brian_34 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Does iClone 6 work with DirectX 12? It keeps freezing...

Author
brian_34
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Does iClone 6 work with DirectX 12? I bought a super fast gaming laptop (32 GB RAM, GTX980, x64)

Whenever I run iClone 6 or Character Creator after about a minute or 2 of use, the programs freeze in there tracks and they both lose the ability to click on any of the icons/ navbar.Sometimes hover text freezes on screen with this and will be ontop of any other open window. I have tried running both programs in compatibility mode with the Windows 8 and 7 settings. I also reset the CPU to factory reset and re downloaded the programs and there patches and unfortunately the same issues immediately occured.  The only way to exit the program at that point is to use control + alt + del. Once it freezes. Longest time waited was an hour. 
If the CPU is too powerful we need to return it and would like to know sooner rather than later.
Any help on this would be great!
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
DirectX 11 (and there is also a patch for 9) is the only one supported.

Try running your computer in that mode and see if you have the same issues.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Zeronimo
Zeronimo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
Sorry to contradict Kelleytoons but on my PC iClone 6 works fine with Directx12. Tongue

brian_34
brian_34
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)Senior Member (326 reputation)

How do you switch to DirectX 11 mode? The only thing I know how to do is compatibility mode and I did that in Windows 8 setting and in Windows 7 setting.
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi there,

I have the same problem: double-clicking on any motion clip will crash iClone.
Also, navigating in the Content window within the motion clips can crash iClone.

I also have the DirectX12, so now I wonder whether this could be the problem...
I will contact again RL to see what they answer about this.
Kind of daunting experience: the GUI should be the 1st thing to be stable in a SW....

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Bigus
Bigus
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I'm on DirectX12 as well.
I wouldn't say it's the most stable combination.
But it works...

sort of...

Whistling

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Well... before the 6.3 version I could count, maybe 3 or 4 crashes in 1 year: it was super-stable.
It is obvious that they made some changes here and there and created new sort of troubles.
People on the Forum experiences all the find of problems now: jerky GUI, crashes, projects not loading, working things that now do not work.
I am sorry to write this but it is also clear that the test of the new patch was quite poor.
Hope RL will fix asap...

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
You've always been able to use different DX versions side by side, i.e., you can have DX9 (for legacy purposes) and DX 11. Many programs/games will still use DX 11, so it should be possible to run that next to DX 12, or DX 12 should at least be downward compatible.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Job,

in theory, yes, you are right.
In practice, what I experience is stunning: iClone crashing only because I am navigating the animation panel of the Content window (and only that panel) or double-clicking an animation clip.
This seems so weird, like it can happen on some piece of chitty SW, which can not be the case of iClone!
But, as a matter of fact, this issue started with patch 6.3.
Reading the various feedback of 6.3 users, it is clear that RL changed more than just fixing some bugs and something system-dependent was introduced: there are ppl reporting issues that I can't confirm on my system and vice verse.
I can still work, as I can drag&drop the animation clips from Windows Explorer, but the problem I have is quite unbelievable, because it is soooooo basic and not related to any complicated 3D operation or complicated project.
Funny also that this is the only crash problem I have seen: out of it, iClone runs quite stable!
Hope RL will get a load and churn out a more robust new patch.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:

brian_34
brian_34
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses last year. After a lot of hard work, I think it was my Gaming laptop that was the problem. Do any of you guys have a laptop model that your currently using with iClone and DirectX 12 that you recommend?

Reading This Topic