Posted By Eric (RL) 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Idea.png
Eric (RL)
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 Years Ago

Having trouble getting the right 3D head look from the photographs? Unsure where to correctly put each of the fitting points? Then you have to read our online manual to get the most out of CrazyTalk 8!

CrazyTalk 8 Online 3D Help Quick Link:
Creating 3D Actor

Samples from the Online Help:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/31e84140-0e86-4f26-9545-af1a.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b4178d5-8d1a-442e-b1fa-fa52.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/170a7dea-74a0-4a43-821e-0ed3.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba9673a3-a27b-4ed4-b0d8-0104.png

Eric (RL)
Forum Moderator

Reallusion, Inc.
https://forum.reallusion.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
rampart
rampart
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Eric
I appreciate your efforts and you make it sound simple enough.
The above information is important don't ignroe it.. Users must understand about how to apply every single dot and wiggle lines on front and side views.
The block discolorations are dragged for even better control. How to use these drag blocks must be understood.   
If you don't really understand points, lines, and drag blocks thoroughly guessing will not help you
Properly configured side views will make it or break it for your 3d work.

There are some things that need to be understood before you ever start.

1. The quality of your image is critical you cannot just enter some search terms for google images and take pictures for use in CT.
2. Pay close attention to have high resolution images. 
3. Recommendation is 2048 minimum on long side minimum.

Pay particular attention to these things when you select your images
1. Shadows (especially shadows and dark areas) ,
2, Discolorations in Color
3. Glasses
4. Older people require more work to prepare skin
5. Squinted eyes
6. Hair across the face
7. No visible head crown
8. Rotation of the image is very important
9, You will have to correct any variations in the rotation of front and side view images. Otherwise your points, lines and drag blocks will distort your images.

Look for well lighted characters looking straight at the camera, eyes open, mouth closed, no head tilt front or side, nothing covering facial features in front or side views should be considered a requirement.

Remember the CT uses the image you provide.If you do not have complete image it will require doing workarounds.  If there is no head crown you have to put that final head point on top of a flat head you will have a flat head CT character unless you do a workaround.  

You can spend hours in Photoshop with the clone tool or other tools trying to clean up your images.

We need very comprehensive tutorials to facilitate the use of CT heads in Content Creator and Iclone.  A good discussion of tools and how to use them from other applications to prepare images should be explained.  I tried the RL FaceFilter Pro and it could do the trick for many images, but we need information of what tools will work and how to use.
The things I explained here are things I learned by spending close to three days trying to work through issues.

I bought CT8 pipeline thinking I could create real world quality character heads easily and fast for export into CC or Iclone. 
I made some mistakes along the way in image selection and image preparation.
My results were not acceptable, but with proper preparation of the images that has changed.
Don't expect CT8 to do things automatically for you.

The head building tools  in the CC should not be ignored, if you don't need real person faces in your projects.
If you take the time to carefully to use the morph tools, you can produce some very excellent quality heads for export into Iclone or other applications.

I mentioned things above you need to be aware above.  Don't ignore them, if you expect to have good workflow on a timely basis.  

Yes, CT8 pipeline did export to CC and Iclone. I was pleased with that overall...but you will be very disappointed if you don't have properly prepared images to start. 

You might get away with some minor image preparation and edits for youtube low resolutions, otherwise ":garbage in - garbage out"

Edited
9 Years Ago by rampart
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
rampart (12/23/2015)
Eric
I appreciate your efforts and you make it sound simple enough.
The above information is important don't ignroe it.. Users must understand about how to apply every single dot and wiggle lines on front and side views.
The block discolorations are dragged for even better control. How to use these drag blocks must be understood.   
If you don't really understand points, lines, and drag blocks thoroughly guessing will not help you
Properly configured side views will make it or break it for your 3d work.

There are some things that need to be understood before you ever start.

1. The quality of your image is critical you cannot just enter some search terms for google images and take pictures for use in CT.
2. Pay close attention to have high resolution images. 
3. Recommendation is 2048 minimum on long side minimum.

Pay particular attention to these things when you select your images
1. Shadows (especially shadows and dark areas) ,
2, Discolorations in Color
3. Glasses
4. Older people require more work to prepare skin
5. Squinted eyes
6. Hair across the face
7. No visible head crown
8. Rotation of the image is very important
9, You will have to correct any variations in the rotation of front and side view images. Otherwise your points, lines and drag blocks will distort your images.

Look for well lighted characters looking straight at the camera, eyes open, mouth closed, no head tilt front or side, nothing covering facial features in front or side views should be considered a requirement.

Remember the CT uses the image you provide.If you do not have complete image it will require doing workarounds.  If there is no head crown you have to put that final head point on top of a flat head you will have a flat head CT character unless you do a workaround.  

You can spend hours in Photoshop with the clone tool or other tools trying to clean up your images.

We need very comprehensive tutorials to facilitate the use of CT heads in Content Creator and Iclone.  A good discussion of tools and how to use them from other applications to prepare images should be explained.  I tried the RL FaceFilter Pro and it could do the trick for many images, but we need information of what tools will work and how to use.
The things I explained here are things I learned by spending close to three days trying to work through issues.

I bought CT8 pipeline thinking I could create real world quality character heads easily and fast for export into CC or Iclone. 
I made some mistakes along the way in image selection and image preparation.
My results were not acceptable, but with proper preparation of the images that has changed.
Don't expect CT8 to do things automatically for you.

The head building tools  in the CC should not be ignored, if you don't need real person faces in your projects.
If you take the time to carefully to use the morph tools, you can produce some very excellent quality heads for export into Iclone or other applications.

I mentioned things above you need to be aware above.  Don't ignore them, if you expect to have good workflow on a timely basis.  

Yes, CT8 pipeline did export to CC and Iclone. I was pleased with that overall...but you will be very disappointed if you don't have properly prepared images to start. 

You might get away with some minor image preparation and edits for youtube low resolutions, otherwise ":garbage in - garbage out"

Very well put. I agree with all of the above as I too have seen the same issues and just today I upgraded to FaceFilterPro (from standard) to get some image adjustments that do make a huge difference in the final output.
TS

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I'd add that CT8 software takes the image (front and profile) and finds where certain features exist (or thinks they are).  In the front this isn't too much of an issue (except with the top of the head -- as noted) but for a profile you will often have things in the background that interfere with a good solid "line" the software can use.  That's one reason the sample images will work so well -- no background to worry about.

You need to cut or otherwise remove some busy backgrounds in order to use even an otherwise good profile.  And the same goes for the top of the head in the front view -- helps a lot if the background isn't too busy so the software can "see" what the rest of the head looks like (there is some ability to post edit this by moving points, but sometimes you cannot do even this).  And on this topic -- a nose which isn't clearly delinated (perhaps a drawing or otherwise "soft" image) will also be a problem, because the software "guesses" and usually wrongly (and, again, it's sometimes impossible to fix these guesses).

So while high resolution is good, what's even more important is an image that is sharp and clear in the details the software is trying to map -- good nose, eye, chin and head separation.  If you are making drawings to use, this will be even more important.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Can someone help me find (link to) the other helpful posts for getting the face from CrazyTalk 8 into iClone?

I remember some tips about resetting a couple parameters to avoid mesh distortion, either in 3DXchange or in Character Creator, I think.

I'm going through the process of getting my first-ever photo-to-face all the way into iClone.  It's a first attempt, and so far it's encouraging.

(Later I'm going to have to ask some specific questions, but I'll do that in a different thread.)

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
justaviking (12/30/2015)
Can someone help me find (link to) the other helpful posts for getting the face from CrazyTalk 8 into iClone?

I remember some tips about resetting a couple parameters to avoid mesh distortion, either in 3DXchange or in Character Creator, I think.

I'm going through the process of getting my first-ever photo-to-face all the way into iClone.  It's a first attempt, and so far it's encouraging.

(Later I'm going to have to ask some specific questions, but I'll do that in a different thread.)

https://forum.reallusion.com/264593/CrazyTalk-8-Tips-and-Tricks-Master-Index

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@TheSchemer,
THANKS.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic