WIP Crime Noir Comic

Posted By jgrant 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
jgrant
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
So, to better my skill set and continue my growth with IC6 and related content, I've optioned a number of short stories from friends of mine for developing as a limited manga series of crime noir comics. Have figured out a nice workflow and carving out the time now to begin. Here's some WIP scene studies today and some B/W pages as well for you to see. Nothing finished fully yet - just thinking out loud and seeing where I shall go for my final look.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d2314296-1a49-46c5-b55c-ea76.jpg
I like the 20mm lens here and it's a good look for a hideout space. I'm just getting my head around the props I have available and the style of lighting I want to use.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/96dcfd6f-1609-402e-8a0b-cdff.jpgHere's the same room with a 35mm lens - and it's a fairly simple illustration in IC6 with minimal Photoshop tweaks (just some dirt and stain work). The toolset in IC6 is robust so I can have a lot of fun lighting these digital sets. As comics were my gateway to cinema, you can see how I try to make the frame tell a story - we know there are bad guys around - there's a tactical shotgun front and center - but what's the deal with everything else?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/00e4e91c-e15e-4029-a218-7249.jpg
What kind of monsters have a bicycle, a kid's rocket ride and religious iconography spattered about? This is how I find my characters sometimes - I build their rooms and then grow from there. In the case of "Bar Scars", the series I optioned - I have some fully fleshed out scenarios so imagery like this is just an exercise in world-building and color palette finding. I cannot underscore how important it is for me to warm up and do exercises before starting any work of greater significance.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3309ed1c-aacd-41b6-af1e-20c7.jpg
With the B/W ' manga work, I'm finding the tonal range and seeing how far I need to push detail and how well the Med Rez characters hold up. I'm happy with this kind of staging and look for a monochrome comic and it will probably end up as the look of choice for Bar Scars and the noir world.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5b1ada74-40c3-4291-a1d5-e99b.jpg
Panel orientation, breaking the gutter margins, screen direction and tonal range tests allow me to see how best to approach the finished work. IC6 makes manipulating the new CC models a joy and adding Manga Studio 5 to the mix (I can't bring myself to calling it Clip Studio - yet) helps me define the structure I need to begin.

Looking forward to new CC hair tools and the opportunity to delve deeper into the tool kit and continue my work. Thanks to everyone here - especially Rampa - for the continued advice, insights and ideas. Any feedback, hints on IC assets I should look at and other ideas will be most appreciated.

primaveranz
primaveranz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

This is looking great. It is always motivating to see what others are up to, especially when they do as good a job as this Wink
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

I'm liking this very much. BigGrin  I especially like your use of perspective in your panels. Can't wait for more.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
mark
mark
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
WOW! An artist at work....how refreshing!!!BigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 14 minutes ago
Wow! these do look great. Smile
Waiting to see the actual character now.
primaveranz
primaveranz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

I think breaking the margins is important if you stick with clearly defined boxes. The "Bam Bam Bam" really improves that second page in my unqualified eye Wink
jgrant
jgrant
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I greatly appreciate it. The work you see here is still unfinished (except for the color panels) - and text, dialogue bubbles, sound fx all liven up the comic pages and are usually added after the layout phase - accounting for them in thumbnails created prior to beginning.

Here's a link to the test look at a figure in the room who will figure prominently in the story, All This Will End Well, which I am tackling first.

http://youtu.be/oiO1RELRMek
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Nice work JG, looking forward to seeing this in action.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
jgrant
jgrant
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

About 18 pages in - I'm running as many as I want - I'm not stopping at 22 or so (because I don't have to). Am happy with the look and the breakdowns are working well. Overall, it's a gritty noir comic that is a good lead up to my more involved work for 2016.

These two pages are a good indication of the tone and staging. I'm happy with how I can work with the characters and sets - and building upon my skill with the Face Key Wditor for performance values.

I will post the completed work online this holiday season.
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Fantastic work which works really well. Assuming the video is a fair representation of how it looks when it leaves Iclone (ie does not look like any of the processing performed in Iclone) would it be possible for you to reveal what software/techniques you are using to create your pen and ink look.
Thank you very much for sharing and inspiring others.

Reading This Topic