Profile Picture

Question about animating textures?

Posted By Blessdaily 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Blessdaily
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi im a newb so please bare with me, i hope someone can help
I'm trying to make a short animation with  text , and then later i want some more text to appear underneath it .. 
for storytelling and that sort of thing.

maybe there is a better way to do this. but this is how i tried to do it..

i made two pictures (.png), 
i figured.. i could use these pictures as textures on a floor object in iclone6 and just change the texture  later in the time line..
the first picture has the first line of text, and then a second picture has the rest of the text .

My problem..
 Every time i try to change the texture  to the second picture,  it changes the first texture as well. even though i am later in the timeline

the diffuse option in texture settings is hightlighted in green, its my understanding if any area in iclone6 is highlighted in green i can animate it?
but its not animating my changes? so i must be doin something wrong ...is there anyone who can help me?

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I dont think you can animate that -- the channels (like diffuse and opacity) are shown in green because you can animate certain parms in them, like color and strength, but you can't animate the actual map changing.

Your best bet is to use the blend channel (I think this will do exactly what you want, but I haven't tested it).  You would then animate the strength.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You can definitely animate both the strength of the Opacity channel as well as the actual opacity slider of any map.

Don't know how you could do a radial wipe without a map, but you might be able to do one with some sort of map (I'd have to think about it -- you could obviously use an animated b/w file as the alpha for any such wipe, but without such a file I don't know where I'd begin).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
This post has been flagged as an answer
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Some things are best (and most easily accomplished) using a combination of tools.
I recommend using video editing software to overlay your text onto an iClone video.

Inside iClone, you could use the "overlay" object (sorry, I think I have the name wrong).
You see this when you open sample projects that Reallusion provides.

You could also use billboard objects.

But my recommendation is to add text after you've exported the animation from iClone.

You CAN edit iClone material properties, especially if you're using "Substances" for your materials.  But you cannot *replace* one material with another half-way through the video clip.

Do you have some specific pictures you can share to help explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

If you need people to "walk on the text" that's on the floor, you could add several "Plane" objects.  They would be transparent, except for the text.  Lay the play just above the floor.  Then turn the Opacity property from 0 to 100 and back to 0 again to make a specific set of text appear at the right time.  (You'll probably want your keyframe to use a "Step" function.)

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
Blessdaily
Blessdaily
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)Senior Member (324 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
thankies to the replies jusaviking your recommendations will work perfectly for what i am aiming to do thanks so much Smile

Reading This Topic