Profile Picture

Is it possible to make a Gumby-like character?

Posted By steambc 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
steambc
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago

One of the companies I work for has an avatar that looks pretty much like Gumby, although he has normal shoulders and there is no neck. The head is an oval shape that floats over the body as if the neck were invisible.
Is it possible to create a character like this in iClone, or is there a plugin that can handle this?
Barring that, is there a facility to create the character in a different program and then import it into iClone, thereby taking advantage of iClone's animation toolset?
Thanks for any help. I want to make bumper animations for my company utilizing this character.
steambc

Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I created a Gumby some time ago using A few programs, primarily DAZ:

I offered him as Freebie, but nobody seemed to want him, so I withdrew the offer.

The Model you describe is feasible. If you have an Image I can likely create it, or offer a Training Class (fee Involved) where you can do this yourself. Contact me by Private Message if interested.

steambc (11/6/2015)

One of the companies I work for has an avatar that looks pretty much like Gumby, although he has normal shoulders and there is no neck. The head is an oval shape that floats over the body as if the neck were invisible.
Is it possible to create a character like this in iClone, or is there a plugin that can handle this?
Barring that, is there a facility to create the character in a different program and then import it into iClone, thereby taking advantage of iClone's animation toolset?
Thanks for any help. I want to make bumper animations for my company utilizing this character.
steambc

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
steambc
steambc
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)Senior Member (288 reputation)

Thanks for the reply. That is somewhat along the lines what I'm looking for. I'm confused about this software because it doesn't clearly state anywhere (at least clearly to a potential buyer) what the capabilities of the software are concerning importing and using characters modeled in other software.

A few months ago I wrote directly to iClone tech support and asked them if iClone is capable of handling imported characters similar to Gumby. The representative said no, iClone cannot handle that, yet I seem to see an instance here and there where a non-human, cartoony figure has been used successfully.

Can I model a Gumby-like character in say Maya, for example (which I have), or is there something about DAZ models that lend themselves better to working within iCLone?

Is there only one rig (as I call a collection of bones) available which must be used with a human-like figure, or can a custom rig be made which can then use the standard iClone tools for animation. IN other words, if a Gumby-ish model is imported in, can it be made fully functional, just like the character bases that come with iClone, or would its capabilities be inhibited?

I'm really trying to determine what iClone's basic capabilities are in terms of using non-standard charachers.

Thanks again! And if anyone else has something to add, please do.
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If you prefer, it can be done in MAX, Maya, Blender, DAZ, or a few others that allow boning, skinning, and weight mapping.  I prefer DAZ on all except modeling the mesh, which is not one of it's strengths unless you like Hexagon, which I do not.

As far as Rigging, you need enough to satisfy the Green Light Activation on imports inside 3dXchange; Head, Neck, etc.. 

Here is another model that was also done in DAZ, minus the modeling:

steambc (11/6/2015)
Thanks for the reply. That is somewhat along the lines what I'm looking for. I'm confused about this software because it doesn't clearly state anywhere (at least clearly to a potential buyer) what the capabilities of the software are concerning importing and using characters modeled in other software.

A few months ago I wrote directly to iClone tech support and asked them if iClone is capable of handling imported characters similar to Gumby. The representative said no, iClone cannot handle that, yet I seem to see an instance here and there where a non-human, cartoony figure has been used successfully.

Can I model a Gumby-like character in say Maya, for example (which I have), or is there something about DAZ models that lend themselves better to working within iCLone?

Is there only one rig (as I call a collection of bones) available which must be used with a human-like figure, or can a custom rig be made which can then use the standard iClone tools for animation. IN other words, if a Gumby-ish model is imported in, can it be made fully functional, just like the character bases that come with iClone, or would its capabilities be inhibited?

I'm really trying to determine what iClone's basic capabilities are in terms of using non-standard charachers.

Thanks again! And if anyone else has something to add, please do.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Edited
9 Years Ago by Cricky
steambc
steambc
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I'll P.M. you shortly within the next couple of days with a couple of questions as to whether or not you'd be interested in making my character for me. It's an ultra-simple character, similar to gumby but there's no need for facial features... no mouth, eyes, etc. Just an oval head. As the logo stands now the neck is invisible and the head just floats over the body. I assume a neck could be make transparent. Anyway I'll send the details and we can discuss.

Thanks for the help so far! I appreciate your guidance and your linking the videos.

Reading This Topic