Motions flip 90 degree on avatar

Posted By BlueyCreative 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
BlueyCreative
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hello all,

I've created a basic animation where the character runs at the camera then trips over, waits a bit then gets up, problem is the motion I added for the get up part does a weird 180 degree turn and gets up facing the wrong way. How do I flip the motion?

Thanks

Bluey Creative in the Marketplace

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi there,

my way of fixing this problem is described in this tutorial, which I made some time ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLwkBCDStE
Note: one BIG LIMITATION of iClone is that there is no way to collect a clip and maintain (in the collected clip) the orientation of the motion pivot and the character root Angry
If they could add this feature, you could build up your library of "patched" motions, so that you do not have to go through the same fix over and over....
I have been asking for this for a while but with no success Crying

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
9 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
RobertoColombo (10/15/2015)
Hi there,

my way of fixing this problem is described in this tutorial, which I made some time ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLwkBCDStE
Note: one BIG LIMITATION of iClone is that there is no way to collect a clip and maintain (in the collected clip) the orientation of the motion pivot and the character root Angry
If they could add this feature, you could build up your library of "patched" motions, so that you do not have to go through the same fix over and over....
I have been asking for this for a while but with no success Crying

Cheers
 Roberto

The real frustrating thing is that the functionality has been there for years, but it can only be "enabled" through AML. It's rediculous, and it's hard enough for people to understand that there is not a big stink raised about it.

The functionality that solves this issue is the alignment of the root to the "motion root" (pelvis) of the avatar. It only aligns position, not rotation. In the AML (Persona) a motion can be tagged to have the root also track rotation, thus allowing the root to rotate with the pelvis for proper orientation.

Like this:

Notice how the root spins with motion root (pelvis)

This really should be the default way that motions are added from the Content Manager!

BlueyCreative
BlueyCreative
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Thanks guys, I think I'll take sw00000p's advise and fix these externally then import them back in. Smile

Bluey Creative in the Marketplace

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
rampa (10/15/2015)

In the AML (Persona) a motion can be tagged to have the root also track rotation, thus allowing the root to rotate with the pelvis for proper orientation.

Hi Rampa,

may I ask you what XML tag should we modify in the Persona file in order to align the character root with the motion root ?
I wish to go a bit into this topic and see if we can find a way to automatize (with some scripts.... recently I developed a lot with VB.NET, so I can try to create some kind of User Interface for this task) the re-alignment after collecting a clip.

Regards

Roberto

PS: thanks sw00000p :-)

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Roberto,

The good news is that it is super easy! Smile

Here is an example of script from Heidi's Persona. Persona files are plaintext, so they open in any text processor. The blue is the tag I added. That's it! You can just add that tag to each "AnimationClip" section. I just do search and replace in my editor. I search for the line above it, and replace it with both lines.

<AnimationClip ID="Air dance">
            <TargetType>Character</TargetType>
            <TargetNode>$</TargetNode>
            <SampleTransform>Normal</SampleTransform>
            <AlignOrientation>TRUE</AlignOrientation>
            <ClipType>Motion</ClipType>
            <ClipLocation>$\iClone Template\Motion\02_G6 Motion_Heidi\Perform\Air dance.iMotion</ClipLocation>
        </AnimationClip>

You then must add the motion from the "Perform" in the right-click menu, but then it will track properly. The Perform is limited to 50 motions, and there are no sub-categories. I put in a feature request for that yesterday.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Sorry, coming to this topic late but it sounds like something I want to understand.

Am I right in thinking that you can just create a new persona and fill it with these sorts of motion commands (edited to work properly)?  I mean, let's say I have a whole series of zombie motions (I do but that's neither here nor there) and want to create a "Zombie" persona -- I could then use, say, Notepad+ and edit them all accordingly, right?  Or is there something else I need to do?  (IOW, what I am asking is if there is something other than a collection of motions I don't understand about Personas).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (10/16/2015)
Sorry, coming to this topic late but it sounds like something I want to understand.

Am I right in thinking that you can just create a new persona and fill it with these sorts of motion commands (edited to work properly)?  I mean, let's say I have a whole series of zombie motions (I do but that's neither here nor there) and want to create a "Zombie" persona -- I could then use, say, Notepad+ and edit them all accordingly, right?  Or is there something else I need to do?  (IOW, what I am asking is if there is something other than a collection of motions I don't understand about Personas).

The Persona is basically a collection of pointers that say what motions to play, and how to play them. So yeah. You've got the right idea.

You can easily create a Persona using 3DXchange. Load your motions into the motion clip section, and "add all to perform". I found I could have 250 entries, but the actual perform menu would only display 50. Sad 

Export your avatar to iClone. Make sure to enable animation in the export. You'll end up an avatar that has all the motions in the Perform menu, and a folder full of all the motions in your custom/motion folder. Do not move this folder, as those are the motions that the Persona is using.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Okay, I can create it in XChange (with, whatever) but just because I use a certain Avatar doesn't mean I have to use that particular Avatar, right?  I mean, I can assign ANY persona to ANY avatar (just to be clear here).  I have a lot of zombies <g>.

Seems to me this is the ideal way to create different sorts of motion packs, all orientated the right way.  Other than having to select the motions from that right-hand menu it would be a lot easier to work with certain things (like an arrow pack, from the recent Mixamo stuff).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (10/16/2015)
Okay, I can create it in XChange (with, whatever) but just because I use a certain Avatar doesn't mean I have to use that particular Avatar, right?  I mean, I can assign ANY persona to ANY avatar (just to be clear here).  I have a lot of zombies <g>.

Seems to me this is the ideal way to create different sorts of motion packs, all orientated the right way.  Other than having to select the motions from that right-hand menu it would be a lot easier to work with certain things (like an arrow pack, from the recent Mixamo stuff).

You can save the Persona from the right-click menu, and then use on any other avatar. There might be a catch though. I've only used this method with the older style AML, not the new Lua based Persona. When you use the right-click save option, it will be Lua script. This needs some testing yet. Hmmm.......

The Lua script is still user-readable and can be edited, I just have not tried it yet. Comes in with no carriage returns, so maybe needs a Lua editor for easier use.

Reading This Topic