Better Organizational;l Capabilities

Posted By AverageJoe 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
AverageJoe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Please please please add some organizational capabilities to CTA2.  I just purchased and downloaded some packs from Garry Pye and ToonsUnlimited, and they appears to just install in random places.  The ones from ToonsUnlimited were a pack or bundle, and yet they still installed in completely random places, with little to no sense in their organization.

Frankenstein in the Buddy Build folder under Characters, but Dracula installs in the root of Character.  Bride of Frankenstein is in Character-ToonsUnlimiteed-Buddys World-Halloween.

Freddy Krueger is in his own folder under Character, but GhostFace and Jason are in Character-ToonsUnlimiteed-Buddys World-Halloween. Micheal Mysers is in the root of Character.

A lot of the Garry Pye stuff also seems to have installed just willy nilly...

I have a lot of content packs, but there's just doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to where stuff installs, there's no organization to much of it, and I get to the point I hate trying to find stuff in this app.It's just plain tedious to build a scene, but having to hunt for the pieces you know you have in there... somewhere...
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The installation location is defined by the author when configuring the item in the marketplace/store.
It is up to the Author to organize their items accordingly.

You can re-org it (find file) but yes, it is a pain if not properly organized in the first place.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

Edited
9 Years Ago by jlittle
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Most of this is controlled at the OS level (after installation) through the file/folder system.  I'm considering going through and grouping things ins a way that makes sense.  Of course, the result of which is auto-updates, or any updates for that matter, may not work correctly if it's an update the includes content. Plus the different content pieces that don't show up unless your in the Character Composer, I'd hate to screw that up...  My only other option is to make a copy of everything, and re-do it in the CUstom sectoion, but then I end up with double assets eating up hard drive space.

Even in iClone 6, the content management system is a bit better, but still a mess.
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I've totally re-org'd my files in the Template area.
Made new folders, grouped items that made sense, moved items around as needed, renamed as needed, and now I have a much better organized library.
As long as you keep the items in their proper top parent directory you can do about anything with them.

When you install a pack there is a log that you can save that lists where everything was installed.
I use that to track down anything new and move it into my new "structure".

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

garrypye
garrypye
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hey Wizaerd. There is a perfectly good reason why my content was installing randomly. It was because until recently I had no idea I could assign sub-folders for my content. Thanks to Janell at Toons Unlimited who set me straight. Ironically, after a year as a content developer, this is the first time anyone has brought the issue to my attention. With a back catalogue of nearly 1000 props in the Marketplace, I may not get around to assigning sub-folders to my previous work, but all future content will be assigned. 

Thanks for purchasing my content and supporting my work. I hope you find the quality and standard of my work high. Be sure to stay in touch, as I love hearing from my supporters.

Garry Pye
www.facebook.com/garrypyeanimations?ref=bookmarks
garrypye
garrypye
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Just thought I would quickly add to this conversation. The perfectly legitimate complaint was made by Wizaerd that my content was installing willy nilly and with no real standard. This was completely my fault because I wasn't aware that I could assign sub-folders to my content when I upload it. So I have gone back and assigned sub-folders to every single item I have uploaded in the Marketplace and my store. I hope this makes life easier for everyone and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

Garry Pye
www.facebook.com/garrypyeanimations?ref=bookmarks

Reading This Topic