Profile Picture

Has anyone run into an incompatible Substance?

Posted By Rampa 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I downloaded a few that this guy made, and the diffuse channel Substance graph will not load. Could it be because it's a PBR Substance?

http://kay-vriend.blogspot.com/?view=flipcard
wires
wires
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Maybe a tiny hint to one of the substances that you downloaded would help in testing. SmileWink

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

There are only 7 SBSAR downloads. He includes the SBS files with most of them. There are also a few more that are SBS only.

The ones I grabbed to get the SBSARs are:

Fan Pavement
Dark Stone Tiles
Cliff
Cobblestone
Granite Tiles
Mediterranean Bricks
Pavement
Slate Tiles lll
Ship Hull - This one did work properly for me.

He's got them mostly in Bundles with a bunch of 4K textures, so it's a long download to get just the SBSARs. But if you have Sbstance Designer, he includes the SBS so you can have a look at how it was made.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Yes, I think I ran into an incompatible substance one of the first times I tried to use them.
But I can't remember exactly what I did and what happened.

I think I actually had a valid substance, but suffered from user error.  (Me!  Shocking!)
If I get a chance to mess around with it, I'll see if I can duplicate what I think I did wrong before.  I might have simply loaded/applied the substance incorrectly, which is probably a mistake way below your level of skill and knowledge.

I assume you have gotten other substances to work correctly.  True?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

justaviking (9/2/2015)
Yes, I think I ran into an incompatible substance one of the first times I tried to use them.
But I can't remember exactly what I did and what happened.

I think I actually had a valid substance, but suffered from user error.  (Me!  Shocking!)
If I get a chance to mess around with it, I'll see if I can duplicate what I think I did wrong before.  I might have simply loaded/applied the substance incorrectly, which is probably a mistake way below your level of skill and knowledge.

I assume you have gotten other substances to work correctly.  True?

I'm glad you responded, because I know you're playing with Substance Designer. Smile

I would encourage you to have a look at the SBS files he provides. He's a long-time procedural texture dude (he also has a lot of Genetica stuff available). Maybe the SBSARs just need to be recompiled?

His work is quite amazing and rediculously detailed in functionality!

The one called "Ship Hull" works just fine, i.e., with the diffuse portion as well.
Edited
9 Years Ago by rampa
wires
wires
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this, but my Substance skills are just somewhere above zero at the moment.

I think that I have discovered the "problem" with the Substance files.

I downloaded the Granite Tiles files, and first applied the sbar file to a wall prop in iClone 6. As you stated, the Diffuse texture was not applied. Next I opened both the sbs and sbar files in B2M ver.2 and ver.3 - and got the same results, as shown below:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/da551dd6-b57f-45b8-9651-5294.png

The upper part of the screen shot shows what should be the Diffuse, but the lower window does not display it.

Next I opened the sbs file in Substance Designer 4 and 5. The image file being used for the Diffuse is not defined as such in the Output options - it is only defined as a "Base Color". I redefined it as a Diffuse and saved the file under a new name as both sbs and sbar files. Below is the result of the new file when opened in B2M:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/06aa472a-a0bc-472c-b5f0-4cfd.png

When the new sbar substance file is applied to an asset in iClone the Diffuse displays as expected:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3c28cb2a-d90b-4e01-8dff-68eb.png

Just for info, I used both B2M 2 and 3 just to test if the file contained PBR settings - B2M 2 doesn't support PBR and the fact that the files opened in both shows that there is no PBR included - they just have incorrect output settings for the channels.

Hope this helps some.CoolSmile

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
9 Years Ago by wires
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Excellent sleuthing there Gerry! Smile

Would you be willing to do this with the other SBS files? It'd be nice if this guy's Substances were available for all us iCloners. I could send you a zip of just the SBS files, those 4K textures are a slow download.
wires
wires
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa,

If you send me the zip files I'll do my best, but it may take a few hours. Smile You can send the file as an email attachment using the email link in my profile. I'll also send you my email address in a PM.

Gerry

animatom
animatom
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Thank you, wires, for this. Very nice of you...

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

wires (9/3/2015)

Rampa,

If you send me the zip files I'll do my best, but it may take a few hours. Smile You can send the file as an email attachment using the email link in my profile. I'll also send you my email address in a PM.

They're on the way. Thanks. Smile

Reading This Topic