Is IClone 6 ready for Win 10?

Posted By VirtualMedia 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Was holding out for Windows 10 to drop before I invest in a mobile computer. Now that it's dropped are there any issues with IC 6 or 3DXChange running on Win 10?

Also from the looks on many user profiles / insignia there are some hard core PC builders on the forum. I would greatly appreciate some guidance on what, when and where I should look for a high end laptop. I currently have a workstation at home I had built at DigitalStorm it's a beast, but my laptop is starting to show it's age and can't run IC6. Despite a lot hurry up and wait's I've grown to like IC 6 more every day and bouncing back and forth between the 2 versions is getting to me.

Anyway could one of the techies on the forum or Peter or someone in the know at Reallusion share some guidance on what to look for on a future proof laptop? I currently have one in mind, link below. I do plan to upgrade the Ram to 32 Gigs,  They do have good support and I would prefer to spend a little more for future proofing, as it payed off well on my workstation.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=850616

Thanks for any and all help and guidance.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I think I would go with a single 980 and save $700.00. I doubt you'd notice any performance difference in iClone. If this is also for hardcore gaming, then it's worth having.

I am running iClone on Windows 10. It works fine. Initially I thought the wind effects were not working, but that was user error. Blush It works fine.
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

rampa (8/8/2015)
I think I would go with a single 980 and save $700.00. I doubt you'd notice any performance difference in iClone. If this is also for hardcore gaming, then it's worth having.

I am running iClone on Windows 10. It works fine. Initially I thought the wind effects were not working, but that was user error. Blush It works fine.

Thanks rampa, I forgot to ask if multiple cards would make a difference, I'm not a gamer so that makes no difference to me. Honestly I don't know of any need for the Thunderbolt connector either I'm guessing that's not an option on this particular build. Also good to here IClone 6 is running fine on Win 10. Once the new Character designer gets released running IC 5.5 will be a real let down, especially after paying for the upgrade.

Edited
9 Years Ago by VirtualMedia
JIX
JIX
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)

Actually I do not recommend a laptop for 3D in general. The price difference to a desktop with comparable specs is significant and it´s not really fun to work on a small screen. For me, it only makes sense, if mobility is obligatory.

Two cards could be helpful regarding PhysX, but the question is, if you want to spend the money for getting some fps more.

Thunderbolt is cool, but there is not really much hardware out there supporting this connectivity and it´s way more expensive.
Edited
9 Years Ago by JJJAM
lkelemen
lkelemen
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)Veteran Member (707 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
At home I use a laptop to connect over wifi to my desktop via the MS remote desktop app so I don't have to upgrade my laptop. A desktop is easier upgradable. I changed graphics card two times and bought more RAM to my desktop. The laptop has a screen of 1920x1080.

Lajos
Edited
9 Years Ago by lkelemen
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

JJJAM (8/9/2015)
Actually I do not recommend a laptop for 3D in general. The price difference to a desktop with comparable specs is significant and it´s not really fun to work on a small screen. For me, it only makes sense, if mobility is obligatory.

Two cards could be helpful regarding PhysX, but the question is, if you want to spend the money for getting some fps more.

Thunderbolt is cool, but there is not really much hardware out there supporting this connectivity and it´s way more expensive.

True, I'm aware of this and already have a high end work station at home.  I'm fortunate enough to have a job with a lot of spare time to use my personal laptop at the office, we also travel a lot and always bring my laptop, the one I have now can only run IC 5.5 once the character builder, lipsync editor upgrade and the GoZ plugin are released it'll drive me crazy going back to 5.5 there's also other software I can't run on my current laptop, it will become the internet pc at our home. I also don't like connecting my workstation to the net for anything other than software updates. 

I have absolutely no use for thunderbolt and will contact the builder and see if I can get one built without it for a discount or replace thunderbolt with something useful.

Thanks for the advice, software updates are a two edged sword, we love them but the hardware requirements can be costly.

Edited
9 Years Ago by VirtualMedia

Reading This Topic