Easy(er) Rigging on the Cheap?

Posted By bsperan 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bsperan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
A couple years ago I watched an interesting tutorial on how to create characters from static props. It showed step by step how to create and animate a robot using simple parts, and also showed how one could create other types of characters, such as a stone golem. (The info was similar to this: Generating Characters from Static iClone Props)

This gave me the impression that 3DXchange could be used to rig a static, imported character without bones. But, after some digging, it looks like I was mistaken. I examined a couple rigged characters in Blender and not only does it have "bones" or skeletal "armatures", but many vertex groups that seemed to be associated with each bone.

Then I watched and read some 3DXchange tutorials about rigging characters. But they only talk about a pipeline involving either Maya or 3DS Max. I did note that one of the videos talked about "skin-weighting" for body and face. I supposed the bones need to be "weighted" or loosely attached to groups of polygons to tell the software how it should bend... Is that correct?

However, what I really want to know:

Can anyone suggest software to use for rigging that is a) for someone on a budget and b) at least somewhat straightforward to use or easy(er) to learn? Something far cheaper than 3DS Max or Maya?

Blender can do it. But it's difficult for me to use. I've gotten rusty with it and I never attempted learning the animation part of it.

Edit: I just realized that the free GMax can be used for rigging characters. Though, I never used GMax before. Would it be worth learning for rigging?

I guess what I'm asking is: Would you recommend I learn rigging with Blender, since I'm already at least somewhat familiar with it, GMax, or some other software?
Edited
9 Years Ago by bsperan
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
the flavor of moment is akeytsu -  https://www.nukeygara.com/akeytsu
still in beta and being developed ...it's looking to be the best ez / affordable solution out now.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Blender is a good choice, being free, if you already have some familiarity with it. GMax may not be able to export your rigged model into something you can use elsewhere. It was released as a game asset modifier and kind of limited to various game formats as its export.

DAZ is also free and can do rigging, and has an active forum that'll show you how.
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
still in beta and being developed ...it's looking to be the best ez / affordable solution out now.

Yes the mirror skin works very well and is a real time saverCool
At the moment it has not weight painting . I think when this is included , it is a nice and easy rigging tool .
Now you can select vertices and set value, but in some case still very tricky . A brush would  better

I prefer DAZ Studio for rigging, it is very comfortable and powerful, but the Problem lack of dokumention and  preconceptions
Therefore Unfortunately undervalued in some heads , but it is really  great.

For Blender you will find thousand and more tutorials, so you can go this route.

At the end all do the same  Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Reading This Topic