Substance Designer Presale?

Posted By VirtualMedia 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm considering the Substance Designer bundle for the purposes of custom character design, such as skin, hair and clothing customization. From the product demo it seems to be geared more towards architectural purposes.  Would this bundle be useful for imported Daz character skin, hair and clothing customization?

Thanks

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Just wanted to update this thread to let others who may be considering adding Substance Designer to their pipeline.

It's an amazing program which has the potential to transform your characters and props in ways only limited only by your imagination. It does have a learning curve to master, and I have yet to make the first lap.

That aside adding texture, skin and surface tweaks can turn your characters into your characters. The more I use iClone the more I love it but was always bouncing back to Daz because I got so bored with the all the characters that looked nearly identical. 

One commenter said it well ' You have to be careful or you will spend more time creating the animating' which could easily happen but I do feel more inspired when I can design a character more specific to my purpose rather than just animating the same character in another scene with another voice track.

Check out the basic substance materials that come with iClone 6 pro to get a no cost idea of the potential this may offer to you creativity.

I'm not promoting this product just sharing my experience.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
Edited
9 Years Ago by VirtualMedia
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Substance Painter is a rock star!!!  And Substance Designer is a great construction tool (which I still have yet to learn better).

Both require a "different mindset" for most of us who are used to painting textures in a more traditional manner, but SP is extremely powerful and it's a lot of fun to use.

Over the last couple of years, I've really developed a greater appreciation for the value of textures, and when I SP my jaw dropped and I knew I had to get it.  Now if iClone would support a Physically Based Renderer (PBR) we could really take our renderings to the next level of awesomeness.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
sw00000p (6/29/2015)

PBR support... can't see it happening anytime soon!Crying
Maybe iClone 7 Smile

Hope springs eternal.  It was promised as part of iC6.x at one time.
But I must admit Reallusion's silence on this topic is deafening...  Sad  Sad   Angry  Angry  Crying  Crying

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic