DAZ G2 to IClone 6: Rigging Issue

Posted By JC Weatherby 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JC Weatherby
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwviifhxEY

This handy tutorial explains how to convert STANDARD (out-of-the-box, unmorphed, uncomstomized)  DAZ G2 characters to iClone-friendly avatars.   But when exporting a morphed character I encountered this problem in 3DX 5:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bed357d8-b041-44ce-a791-c025.jpg

DAZ / ICLONE  has not remapped the bones to my customized / morphed - shorter than DAZ standard - character mesh.  Solution: Just move the bones into place... no, all I can do in 3DX is rotate the bones.  Any DAZ experts out there who can tell me how to correct this?

Thanks Smile  
JC Weatherby
JC Weatherby
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

I found a solution.  But first some background:

1. When setting up custom clothes for a character you make in DAZ, DAZ wants you to start with a standard DAZ G2 model, then apply a morph - that is the shape of your customized character, which you've hopefully saved for this purpose.  You do this AFTER you've used the Translate Tool to map your clothing onto the character.  

2.  However, doing this, DAZ does not automatically adjust the rig for your character.  To correct this go: SCENE OPTIONS > EDIT > RIGGING > ADJUST RIGGING TO SHAPE.

3. When you export a customized character set up with this method to 3DX 5 - without adjusting the rigging as I described - 3DX 5 reads the skeleton as DAZ wrote it during export -- in the wrong place.

So I threw out this character setup method and tried something else:

1. In DAZ, I loaded a character preset - a customized character I made, and previously saved.  Opening the JOINT EDITOR tool in DAZ, I noticed the rig was placed properly in my mesh.

2. In the Parameters panel, inside DAZ, I LOCKED all of the morph sliders - I locked ALL of them, even the ones I did not adjust to make my character.   This is really important - otherwise DAZ will not apply all the morphs to your mesh during export, and when you load it into 3DX you'll get the DAZ G2 base mesh you started with, not your finished character.  

3. Then I exported the character from DAZ, following the instructions in the RL tutorial (see above), and now my skeleton is in place.  

Good to go Smile
Edited
9 Years Ago by JC Weatherby
Lawsuit Pending Records
Lawsuit Pending Records
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks JC 
I assume this will be the same in 3DX6 as anything you do in Daz reverts back to standard G2 mesh on export

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/992e4d8f-3217-4368-a94f-f808.jpg

iC5 Pipeline, iC6 Pipeline, CTA2 Pipeline, CTA Pro, Crazy Talk, Facefilter, POP. 
LAWSUIT PENDING RECORDS Label-Logos-Web Design-Artist Roster-Licensing - Flip type interactive magazine production
Edited
9 Years Ago by Lawsuit Pending Records
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Thanks for this tip, I had spent a considerable amount of time desiging a character and clothed him after the fact, the result in iClone was not good. I also found this to be the case when making clothes in ZBrush, it always seems to be best to cloth character before any custom morphs are added in DS.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com

Reading This Topic